VIP Wheel trouble update

27 minutes ago, promontory said:

@Frank McElroy - Thank you! Would you mind taking a picture for me? I am wondering if someone has made a modification in the past.

I also still have to address the generator issue. I have been too busy with work and other obligations to get after it. I am planning on changing out the positive and ground cables for the genny to 4/0Awg welding cable. I'll update and let you know how that goes.

On another note, I need to troubleshoot my auxilary air compressor. I've read through the forum (searched) and I have a good idea of where it is. Just haven't had time to get after that either. If the compressor is bad, I am pondering the possibility of putting a small 120VAC quiet air compressor in an enclosed bay and running DOT nylon airbrake line from that. I have found that the small 1 or 2 gallon dual-cylinder Fortress air compressors from Harbor Freight are surprisingly quiet, and I have been meaning to pick up something like that for filling tires, so I am considering one for dual purpose. I have been noting in the forum history that many seem to have recurring reliability issues with the 12V pumps mounted under the chassis. Any thoughts on this?

Again, thank you!

Your FRB PCB #9 looks just like mine. 

Note that PCB #9 is the same as PCB #10 except that PCB #10 is rotated 180 degrees.  In the case of PCB#10, that relay is installed in the socket and the CB is screwed onto those blake holes.  This CB / relay circuit is used for the dash HVAC system.  For PCB #9 that part of the circuit board is NOT used.

PXL_20240616_222059154.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Frank is the expert.  There were 2 different AUX compressors POSSIBLY used on the 2008.  Frank has written a lot on how to repair or get the compressor working properly.  His is the most commonly used.  But there was a totally different system or AUX compressor used on the 2007 Dynasty and it had a special dryer,

BE CAREFUL when you start adding in NON RV compressors.  There is a concern about DRY AIR.  A friend had the 2007 and it went “bad”.  He had to replace the compressor or have it done,  he got or drained out almost a gallon of water from the rear brake system.  OUCH…he was lucky.  There was no permanent or even minor damage to the rear brake components….but the shop did have to tear down and inspect the entire rear braking system.  A Rube Goldberg installation might seem like a bargain….but if you contaminate the rear brakes with water….you savings just evaporated and a Home Equity loan might be needed…. LOL!!!😝 

@Tom Cherry - Thank you for the reminder about dry air! Back in the day when I used to jeep out west (AZ, Moab), I used to put custom air systems on my jeeps with onboard aircompressors for airing up / down tires and using air tools. Been out of Jeeping since relocating back east, but nowadays things like battery powered impact drivers and small air compressors have negated much of that need. Did have to explain and demonstrate the air tank and compressor in the back of my Rubicon once when going through a vehicle inspection for airside access at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PSHIA) once (I used to be a consultant for airport lighting systems). That was interesting! Operational security (OSCARS) were pretty intense about what was in the back, until they understood exaclty.

I don't know if I even need to use the auxilary air compressor system? My coach seems to stay very level on my property where I have it now. It seems to hold air and stay level for a long time.

Anyway, thank you for the valuable input! - Jonathan

4 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

Your FRB PCB #9 looks just like mine. 

Note that PCB #9 is the same as PCB #10 except that PCB #10 is rotated 180 degrees.  In the case of PCB#10, that relay is installed in the socket and the CB is screwed onto those blake holes.  This CB / relay circuit is used for the dash HVAC system.  For PCB #9 that part of the circuit board is NOT used.

PXL_20240616_222059154.jpg

@Frank McElroy - Ah! Ok, that makes sense! Thank you! The picture looks exactly like mine. So, I guess I'll use that relay socket to hold a spare. I should probably write that down somewhere. Seems my photographic memory is out of film lately ... Thank you for the picture!

38 minutes ago, promontory said:

@Frank McElroy - Thank you! Would you mind taking a picture for me? I am wondering if someone has made a modification in the past.

I also still have to address the generator issue. I have been too busy with work and other obligations to get after it. I am planning on changing out the positive and ground cables for the genny to 4/0Awg welding cable. I'll update and let you know how that goes.

On another note, I need to troubleshoot my auxilary air compressor. I've read through the forum (searched) and I have a good idea of where it is. Just haven't had time to get after that either. If the compressor is bad, I am pondering the possibility of putting a small 120VAC quiet air compressor in an enclosed bay and running DOT nylon airbrake line from that. I have found that the small 1 or 2 gallon dual-cylinder Fortress air compressors from Harbor Freight are surprisingly quiet, and I have been meaning to pick up something like that for filling tires, so I am considering one for dual purpose. I have been noting in the forum history that many seem to have recurring reliability issues with the 12V pumps mounted under the chassis. Any thoughts on this?

Again, thank you!

I believe on you 07 Dynasty, the air compressor is by the drive axle and feeds the rear main air tank.  It should also have a dedicated air dryer on it.  But, it sounds like yours hold level like mine.  So, I just pulled the CB powering the aux air compressor so that it never runs.

15 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

I believe on you 07 Dynasty, the air compressor is by the drive axle and feeds the rear main air tank.  It should also have a dedicated air dryer on it.  But, it sounds like yours hold level like mine.  So, I just pulled the CB powering the aux air compressor so that it never runs.

@Frank McElroy - Actually, my Dynasty is a 2008, so I believe it is by the driver's side front axle? Does that sound correct? I don't believe it has an air dryer, but I haven't crawled underneath to check that yet.

23 minutes ago, promontory said:

@Frank McElroy - Actually, my Dynasty is a 2008, so I believe it is by the driver's side front axle? Does that sound correct? I don't believe it has an air dryer, but I haven't crawled underneath to check that yet.

Yes, it will be mounted on a shelf welded to the DS steer axle H frame, if it's still there.  At about 50,000 miles I found mine hanging by the air line with the mounting bracket on the motor broken.  Zip ties were used to hold it in place until I got home.

Screenshot_20240616-192408.png