Balance tire & wheel or not

MHRookie

12 hours ago, veraken said:

What  was the reason you went with Balance Masters vs Centramatics ?

I lprefer the design characteristics of the Balance Masters versus the Centramatics. Plus Barry at Josam's recommends them and I trust his judgment.

Basically, Balance Master uses liquid mercury in their ring, it's about as heavy as lead. Centramatic uses a hardened type of small lead shot running in synthetic oil.

It's simply personal preference like Ford versus Chevy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

I lprefer the design characteristics of the Balance Masters versus the Centramatics. Plus Barry at Josam's recommends them and I trust his judgment.

Basically, Balance Master uses liquid mercury in their ring, it's about as heavy as lead. Centramatic uses a hardened type of small lead shot running in synthetic oil.

It's simply personal preference like Ford versus Chevy.

Balance Masters all around on my Dip. Agree with Richard on all points… as a mechanical engineer, vibration is the enemy, and dynamic balancing is superior to static balancing.  

Balance Masters vs. Centramatics?  I like BM because of the reasons Richard mentions, but they both do the job well. 

5 oz of beads is the recommendation for a 315/80/22.5 that weighs over 115 lbs. That’s a 0.0027 ratio which says a big tire is well made. Sure, if I have a vibration I’ll do something to fix it.

I’m glad this subject came up. I drove trucks most of my life and never heard of beads until I bought my rv. I’m used to checking my tire pressure a lot in a big truck but with the rv the valve stem gets stuck open. I have been told it’s the beads getting stuck in the stem. I just figured I would get rid of the beads when I change out the tires.