Which TPMS do you use and like/dislike and why?

Ward,

The battery in the display is promoted as not being user replaceable. That being said, it is plugged into the circuit board so, if you can find a matching battery, it can be changed out. The battery is not something we are going to carry, but I bet if you got the specs off the battery and did a Google search, you would come up with a match. If the incoming power to the display is terminated and the power switch is in the up position, the display will revert to internal battery power. The monitor battery has a long life with no maintenance required. We just provide you with tips to make the system last longer. So far, it has been a non-issue.

JimG
2006 Camelot

TireMinder as they have many options (different models) and now have FLOW THRU sensors.  My first system I had to remove the sensors to access the valves and that was a pain.  https://tireminder.com 

You can use a smart phone, tablet, or they have a monitor for the dash on some models.  All good choices.  They show current temperature as well as pressure.

For good coverage a separate "relay" box is installed somewhere near the rear of the coach, especially if you pull something and want to monitor the tires.

Note:  If you have a towed with TPMS already installed, there is no reason not to add flow-through sensors that connect to the TPMS.

Batteries and O-rings are free for the asking once a year as part of their marketing program.

I hope that the lithium battery and charger that I use for my motorcycle does not fall into the same category as the small ones used in the TPMS master monitors.

I have a Antigravity ATX20 RE-START Lithium Battery in my motorcycle that has a Lithium Charger connected to the battery full-time during the 5-6 summer months we are away up north. The battery charger I use is made by Optimate.

Here is the link to my Re-Start Battery - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079VWGY2N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the link to my Optimate Lithium Battery Charger - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y38X7WI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Dr4Film

53 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

I have a Antigravity ATX20 RE-START Lithium Battery in my motorcycle that has a Lithium Charger connected to the battery full-time during the 5-6 summer months we are away up north. The battery charger I use is made by Optimate.

I have a lithium battery that came with my bike from the factory.  I was a bit paranoid when I got it so now I have an Optimate charger also . . . that I almost never use.  My bike rarely sits for more than a week at a time, and it has a kick start anyway.  Antigravity is one of the best lithiums out there.  I went the economy route (WPS Featherlight) as, like I said, I can always kick it. 

Why don't you take the bike with you up North?  Campground doesn't allow motorcycles? 

- bob

No way to transport it along with my car. Once we stopped Full-Time RVing I sold my 30 foot cargo trailer which between the coach and trailer we carried everything we owned. Maybe one day I will have a custom trailer made that will handle my motorcycle completely covered and a golf cart along with my car on a dolly. They make some now but the motorcycle is out in the weather which I will never do. I am a fair weather rider, no rain and no wind. My bike is a rare 2004 Victory Arlen Ness Signature Edition where only 500 were made, There are nowhere's 500 still in one piece. So I want to keep its value increasing as the years go by.

By the way I use the Tire SafeGuard TPMS on my motorcycle also.

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Lithium battery's prefer about 40-50% charge for storage.

I have no idea what RVers who have converted to lithium house banks do for charging.

My DJI Phantom 3 Drone has four lithium batteries which I fully charge before heading out to fly. If I don't use all of them the unused ones discharge to 50% while sitting in the storage case.

If I remember correctly my first system was Hopkins. So difficult to program I switched to TST. This product works well except for a couple of things. The display is not very flexible. For instance, I was tying to set it up for my two axle motorhome and toad. The display defaulted to a strange layout of front axle, then dually axle, then two tire axle then another two tire axle. Then it showed a trailer behind this. Right now that trailer doesn’t display any wheel, for some reason, probably because there are no sending units programmed for it. TST tech support said to just use that with the two rear axles as the toad. It works but if you are just driving one of the vehicles the system rotates through all of the tires which is a big waste of time.

I haven’t tried it but would like to have the option of mixing and matching tow vehicle and towed vehicle in different configurations. It should be simple for TST to program the system for different situations and only display the vehicles that are being used at that time, e.g. motorhome by itself, motorhome towing toad, toad by itself, toad towing boat trailer, motorhome towing utility trailer, toad towing utility trailer. You get the point. But TST hasn’t done that. Have any of the other manufacturers?

Also, the TST screen is difficult to see in bright ambient conditions. TST realized that and sells a shade that attaches to the display for too much money. Besides the fact it doesn’t help much it should be free.

Ed.      
 ‘05 HR Ambassador 

Edited by saflyer

Ed,

Our current color display (since the last 1.5 years) will do exactly what you want to do. It has the capability of four (4) trailers, trailers can have different tire pressure settings and there is an automatic feature that will drop all the trailer tires from the screen, except for the unit you are towing. It takes about 15 minutes for this feature to kick in. You can also remove the tow vehicle by pressing the "GO" and the (+) buttons at the same time. You can remove the towed if you push the "GO" and the (-) buttons at the same time. I use it for my towed vehicle all the time, separate from the motorhome.

Not sure where you got your information from, but a call to TST Technical Support would have answered your questions.

JimG

2006 Camelot

Edited by ncjimgr

12 hours ago, ncjimgr said:

Not sure where you got your information from, but a call to TST Technical Support would have answered your questions.

JimG

2006 Camelot

Got the information in a call to TST Technical Support.

I have the color display.

Ed

Edited by saflyer

Lithium batteries don't like being at 100% SOC, either in storage or on charge.   This is one of the charge parameters that the battery charger has to deal with.  A proper charger will shut off (charging the battery) when 100% SOC is obtained and remain off until a certain SOC is reached (30% - 45% depending on the application) and then it will turn on (start charging the battery) and the cycle continues.  Now Tyger are a lot of charger that don't comply, just like there are people who have their alternators charging them at 14.2 Volts for 8 hours as they drive.  The battery sellers are partially at fault, claiming nothing special is needed to charge lithium in order to make a sale.  Granted, the cell & often the battery manufacturers employ safeguards, but there are there for gross catastrophic failure, not there to enhance battery life. 

On 6/22/2021 at 3:52 PM, ward_l_johnson said:

To ncjimgr……. Am getting ready to either replace our Pressure Pro system, or buy 12 new Pressure Pro sensors.  I looked at TST a few years ago, and even called the factory with a few questions.  I was told that the monitors had an internal battery, AND that I should NOT leave the monitor plugged into the 12v source other than to charge the internal battery.  The person I talked to advised that I would damage and dramatically shorten the monitor life if I left the monitor plugged in.  That would leave me with another unwanted task of assuring the TST monitor was charged each trip.  I find this hard to believe, but if that is correct, then that is what it is, and I’ll continue my search or just continue buying new PP sensors every 5-6 years.  Can you confirm or refute the information I previously was advised by TST?

I have had the TST system for many years with only a couple very minor problems.  My monitor is hooked up to a 12v plug with my dash cam, and Garmin 780 GPS.  I installed a switch that turns them all on and off.  When I travel I turn them on.  My TST repeater has been plugged in, actually connected to the house battery for all the years I have owned the system.  Their customer service has been stellar.  Also as an aside I have only replaced the sensor batteries a few times in all the years I have had the system, including on our toad.

I have a TST-507 that will drive you crazy with false high pressure alarms, so I just ignore them. TST knows they broke the system design either by accident or planned systemic obsolescence, but will not stand behind their product.  The majority of the time it works well but typically I can't use the system to check cold pressures before leaving the campground until I get a couple miles down the road, so I'll manually use the old fashioned gauge to check for low tires if been parked for a while. Other times I have to drop my speed down by 10-15 MPH to get the false alarms to go away, then resume speed back to my typical 62-65 MPH. Even with all the false alarms, it did function correctly and trigger a low pressure warning when I happened to have a valve stem break causing a fairly rapid depressurization (I just happened to be on the freeway in an area of no interference).  Batteries are easy to replace.

In my mind, a TPMS of some kind is essential equipment.

FWIW

Al, the TST system can be programmed very easily for high and low pressure readings.  Just reprogram it and the high pressure alarms will go away.  Before we leave in the morning I turn on the system and in less than 5 minutes all readings of pressure are available on the monitor, including the toad.

What “alarm parameters” are you using in your TST? You may need to adjust your parameters?
Yesterday afternoon it was 90* and this a.m. it is 51* so my parameters for my 100 PSI tires are 92 PSI and 120 PSI. We regularly drop to 94-96 PSI in the morning and hit 116-118 when driving in the afternoon. A couple of times in the the desert we were going into the 120s PSI so we had to adjust the parameters.

In 8 years of using TST I haven’t had problems with false alarms? Fortunately only 1 real alarm that needed attention and a new valve stem (slow leak). A couple of low battery alarms, so now I just change batteries in the sensors every year, although that isn’t necessary, it is just something I do..

When starting up - I turn the TST unit on a few minutes before starting the engine and check the PSI, it takes a few minutes, maybe 3-5 for all sensors to register, then we r good to go.

• Like 1

Karl and Bill,

The false alarm problem is something the end user can not fix.  Jim (from TST who has already posted several comments on this thread) as well as Mike B (VP at TST) will admit that TST made a design change that breaks the already installed and previously functional systems in the field.  These facts are undisputed.  TST admits a new monitor is needed to avoid the false alarms introduced by the new systems causing interference with the older monitors. (TST offered to sell me a new monitor at a "discounted" price that was actually HIGHER than what I would pay for it elsewhere.) TST made this manufacturing change before I bought my system but I got new old stock that is subject to interference producing the false high pressure alarms of over 400 PSI or 500 PSI (depending on the sensors in the system).  Obviously, my tires can not jump from normal pressures to over 400 PSI in seconds. When I was in business, we made sure we "first did no harm" to our existing customers, or took steps fix them.  TST chooses not to.  If I had bought my system a couple months later I may not have gotten a system subject to the well known false alarm problem.  Luck of the draw I guess.

In the attached picture, you can clearly see a TST-507 attached to a tank showing dangerously low tire pressure while the display reads over 400 PSI from that sensor.  It happens often, but I can ignore it most of the time and hope I don't ever get a flat at the same time as the system is displaying the false high pressure.

I have personally witnessed other manufacturers standing behind their products in the field with recalls, etc.  Not so in this case with TST.  It is one thing if a product fails from normal use due to wear and tear vs this situation where the manufacturer breaks an otherwise working system (hopefully by oversight oops and not intentionally doing harm to their customers).

PXL_20210105_204815627.jpg

Edited by amphi_sc
  • Sad 1

Al ???,

This issue occurs with a very small percentage of old displays. To correct the problem (which is a firmware update the pre 2015 monitors do not have) you need a new display, either the grayscale or color. You did not say how old your display is. Newer systems do not have any issues. If you do not want to pay the $86 for a new grayscale display, call me and I will give you a code for a discount on that unit on the TST website.

JimG
2006 Camelot

33 minutes ago, ncjimgr said:

Al ???,

This issue occurs with a very small percentage of old displays. To correct the problem (which is a firmware update the pre 2015 monitors do not have) you need a new display, either the grayscale or color. You did not say how old your display is. Newer systems do not have any issues. If you do not want to pay the $86 for a new grayscale display, call me and I will give you a code for a discount on that unit on the TST website.

JimG
2006 Camelot

I don’t think my unit is pre-2015. I’ll check.

Ed

E95806AB-998B-4A5D-960A-BA3BF07DBD34.jpeg

Edited by saflyer
Add photo

29 minutes ago, ncjimgr said:

Al ???,

JimG
2006 Camelot

Jim,

As stated in my post, TST already offered a "discount code" off your website price that still ended up costing more than what I could find for a new monitor elsewhere.

As you admit again, TST broke the existing installed base.  In my opinion, TST should provide a gray scale monitor to correct the problem TST caused to the gray scale monitor.  Mine worked fine until more and more of your new design hit the road, and still functions when not in the vicinity of newer TST systems.  It does not have a problem being near Tire Minder, Pressure Pro, Tire Tracker, etc, only other TST systems.  It wasn't until coming away from the remoteness of Alaska that my system started to encounter so many other systems that the problem became more evident.  It did seem strange the problem only seem to happen as I slowed down to turn onto the campground, or had to go a couple miles down the road for it to "warm up" so as to not indicate my tires were going to blow to themselves off the rims!

If I wanted color, I would agree I should pay to upgrade, however I do not desire new functions, just the existing gray scale functions that I bought in good faith to work.  It should not be my fault for buying your product that TST broke.  As you state, it may only be a small number of systems that you broke, but TST as a company should stand behind their business model in good faith.  Since TST choose not to stand behind the product in good faith, it speaks very loudly of the ethics.  I will gladly accept your shipment of a replacement gray scale monitor and ship your defective unit back to you under a RMA label.

In my previous exchanges with Mike B we discussed my original purchase date and how it was apparently old new stock that I had no way of knowing TST was breaking as more new units were being deployed.  As I recall from a previous brief discussion with you, TST introduced the design change just before I bought my complete system.  When I purchased my system, there was no information to be found saying the system would be soon obsolete and non functional from system interference.  It was not advertised as an obsolete end of life product.

Sincerely, Al

I've had a TST 507 about 2.5 years with no issues.  I just changed 2 batteries for the TOAD. Those are the only batteries that needed changing so far.  I have flow thru sensors for the coach and cap sensors for the Toad.  The only alarms I have had were the low battery alarms.  Hopefully it will stay that way.  

12 hours ago, Steven P said:

I've had a TST 507 about 2.5 years with no issues.  I just changed 2 batteries for the TOAD. Those are the only batteries that needed changing so far.  I have flow thru sensors for the coach and cap sensors for the Toad.  The only alarms I have had were the low battery alarms.  Hopefully it will stay that way.  

Steven, I bet you have a color monitor.  From what I have seen, TST did not break the operation of that monitor as they did with the monochrome monitor.  That monitor was still under development and not quite generally available when I bought my system.  Mike Benson spoke of it as it was still a work in progress when I was inquiring, and he never mentioned that the then currently available monitor would soon start to fail with false alarms.  Who knows how long this monitor will work until TST implements another change breaking that installed base too and leaving you "out to dry".  I agree, the batteries last a reasonable length of time and are easy to replace.

29 minutes ago, amphi_sc said:

Steven, I bet you have a color monitor.  From what I have seen, TST did not break the operation of that monitor as they did with the monochrome monitor.  

Mine is not the color monitor.  I have the monochrome version.  

13 minutes ago, Steven P said:

Mine is not the color monitor.  I have the monochrome version.  

If it looks like mine in the picture showing the false high pressure alarms, then just more evidence I got new old stock as the design change was introduced into production.  I always thought the monochrome was easier to read as it never needed the optional sun shade.

@amphi_sc here is a pic of mine.  I believe I got it about 2.5 years ago.  No readings showing  as I just turned it on. 

20210629_213141.jpg

Steven, you master control looks different than the one pictured by Al. Big difference in that yours has control buttons placed on each side of the front with TST on the front top and their web site address along the front bottom. Plus Ed has the colored version.

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Like 1