Any of you guy's....

3 hours ago, Martinvz said:

We live in a condo as the S&B. This means I do not have the barn and a large tool collection as some do. That said I do try and do as much as I can and am learning as I can, if that is possible at 69.

On our current trip it was time for an oil and lube. The local TA truck stop in Gallup NM was willing to to the oil and lube. I provided the oil and oil filter for the gas engine. Easy service.

I looked a installing a Fomoto valve but did not like it all that much. I purchased and installed a Stahlbus (german quality 😎) and it works really well. For the service, I had to give it to the tech to use.

2 more months to get home. Collecting adventures and leaving footprints.

What is the thread for a 05 ISC oil drain?

Gary 05 AMB DST

Well I'm only turning 63 this summer so not as old as some on here that I hope to be able to do what they are at their age. Fortunately I have a friend I use to race with that owns a diesel repair shop so I can take it to him if needed and still sleep at night knowing the work is being done by someone I trust. Saying that I still try to do all my own service and repairs on all the motorized stuff we own.  

Guest Ray Davis

I'm dealing with a bunch of kids here 😁

81 and still doing it all.  I didn't exactly plan it that way, it's just that time goes by whether we are ready or not, so here I am. 

We, Marilyn and I, are trully blessed that we can still get outside and do things ( labor& sweat ). 

I must admit I've slowed down a lot, an hour job might take all day.   

Maybe we can still do those things because we have kept at it. I'll give my DW the credit , she can work circles around me so I try in vain to keep up with her.   

She is great, and by far the best thing that ever happened to me.                                                                                                     

Fortunately we are both on the smallish side, it helps getting under the coach etc.

Rik, is that the grease whatchemacallit that locks onto the zirk?  I need something that locks on  Mine gives me fits slipping off.

Edited by Ray Davis

1 minute ago, Ray Davis said:

I'm dealing with a bunch of kids here 😁

81 and still doing it all.  I didn't exactly plan it that way, it's just that time goes by whether we are ready or not, so here I am.                                                                          We, Marilyn and I, are trully blessed that we can still get outside and do things ( labor& sweat ).   Must admit I've slowed down a lot, an hour job might take all day.            Or, maybe we can still do those things because we have kept at it. I'll give my DW the credit , she can work circles around me so I try in vain to keep up with her.        She's great, and by far the best thing that ever happened to me.                                                                                                                                                                          Fortunately we are both on the smallish side, it helps getting under the coach etc.

Rik, is that the grease whatchemacallit that locks onto the zirk?  I need something that locks on  Mine gives me fits slipping off.

Rats, I thought I might win the contest. In July I'll only be 79. I've done almost all of my own work up until now, but I'm thinking of taking it to the shop this time. The biggest issue for me is probably the mess of dealing with the drained oil and tranny fluid.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jim McGarvie said:

Rats, I thought I might win the contest. In July I'll only be 79. I've done almost all of my own work up until now, but I'm thinking of taking it to the shop this time. The biggest issue for me is probably the mess of dealing with the drained oil and tranny fluid.

I used to hate dealing with the fluids until I got a commercial used oil heater. Now it keeps me warm in the winter.  Anyways, back to the old age thing...

Guest Ray Davis
9 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Anyways, back to the old age thing

Humm,  who are you talking about 👨‍🦼:classic_rolleyes: 

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, Jim McGarvie said:

Rats, I thought I might win the contest. In July I'll only be 79.

Jim,  I'm gonna withdraw so you can win.  That'll make me younger, right.   Wait a min,  before I post this, what do we win, whats the prize?  

Guest Ray Davis
34 minutes ago, granvillebarker said:

It amazes me how many of you service your own tires.

I don't do my tires either but some say with tire irons, our size tires are actually easier than some smaller sizes.  I bought some small tires for a 4 wheel lawn trailer but I finally gave up, impossible to do.

Breaking the bead from the coach wheel is the difficult part.  The tire shops like to use a big hammer. I think I would try driving my PU onto the tire & see if that would work.

Maybe some of those that do their own tires will chime in.

7 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

I don't do my tires either but some say with tire irons, our size tires are actually easier than some smaller sizes.  I bought some small tires for a 4 wheel lawn trailer but I finally gave up, impossible to do.

Breaking the bead from the coach wheel is the difficult part.  The tire shops like to use a big hammer. I think I would try driving my PU onto the tire & see if that would work.

Maybe some of those that do their own tires will chime in.

I have done michelins and toyo, the bead always broke easily by just stepping on them, maybe a bit of a jump 🙂 Never needed the big hammer. And yes, with right spoon or tire tool, easier than a car tire, just heavy. Small tires are the worst.

08 camelot tag.  My wife is 5 ft. Nothing 110 lb. Bought her a new battery power grease gun an now she hardly complains. At 68 years young still doing a good job. She can ride the creeper from end to end never touch! I built a 3’ by6” deep trough in the back half of the  concrete slab just so I could change the oil and filter!

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, TommyL said:

08 camelot tag.  My wife is 5 ft. Nothing 110 lb. Bought her a new battery power grease gun an now she hardly complains. At 68 years young still doing a good job. She can ride the creeper from end to end never touch! 

Do you at least have the hose ready to clean her off when she get's out 😁?

We live so close the Freightliner Custom Coach in Gafney, SC that it is easier to camp and service than to do the work.  I don't have the size tools that it requires, nor the knowledge.  When you take it to the factory service shop you know they will follow the book and hit everything on the list.  You can watch them if you want. (pre "covid")

20 minutes ago, 6Wheels said:

We live so close the Freightliner Custom Coach in Gafney, SC that it is easier to camp and service than to do the work.  I don't have the size tools that it requires, nor the knowledge.  When you take it to the factory service shop you know they will follow the book and hit everything on the list.  You can watch them if you want. (pre "covid")

I would hesitate to assume that everything that is done at a shop is by the book. 

I would recommend checking to confirm things were done and done right.  Back in 2015 I had to have my radiator changed due to road debris damage. The tow driver pulled the drive shaft but did not put it back in.   Had it towed to the Cummins shop, I knew the manager and he did take care of me BUT.  When I drove it home ~45 miles I sensed a slight vibration, so when I got home I crawled underneath and found the drive shaft was out of phase.  I fixed myself.  I also noticed that the fan was running WAO, which I thought was unusual because the engine temp was not high. So I started checking starting at cold and starting the engine as soon as the thermostat opened the fan would go to wide open.  After getting some advice from Monaco (when they still help coach owners) I did some tests and it indicated the thermovalve was bad, so I replaced.  Out of curiosity I took the old thermovalve apart and found a small piece of rag in it, probably from when they took the thermovalve off and moved it to the new radiator. 

So although I appreciate the work that is done at a service center I don't necessarily assume everything was done right!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 6Wheels said:

FCCC, not Cummins.

Not saying it is but my recommendation is be cautious of any service center.  A tech may just be having a bad day.  My neighbor took his wife's Chevy truck to the dealer for service and oil change, while driving it home ~5 blocks from the dealer the stop engine light came on so he pulled over.  NO oil on the dipstick.  The tech forgot to put oil in it.  They gave him a real sweet deal on a used BMW SUV. 

Just sayin

Edited by jacwjames
  • Like 1

The discussion about lube of the coach reminded me of a tool that is a necessity for me. The issue is lube of the u-joints. The Zerks are in a very narrow space in the joints and a regular grease gun nipple it too large to get in the space. I found the "Alemite B6239 Hydraulic Push-Type Adapter" that solves the problem for me. It has a very small diameter neck that will go in the narrow opening in the joints. The opposite end of the adapter has a regular Zerk fitting that snaps on your grease gun. The trade off is that it does not snap on the u-joint Zerk. You must hold pressure against the Zerk to get the grease in but it allows lube of these very important locations. Note that it may be necessary to rotate the driveshaft some to get the greatest space to lubricate. Although Amazon shows the adapter not available it is available at other sources. Just do a search.

On the issue of age, lets just say I'm over 80 and am fortunate to have good health and I love working on my coach.

283865261_alemiteadapter.jpg.f257eb01bb50384cfb22c948a5e1b104.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1