Air bags leaking

I apparently have a leak in at least one of my airbags on my 2006 Monaco Camelot. I’ve been sitting still since April where I am doing some kampworking. I start my engine and build up the air and level the coach and that lasts about 10 days max. I am not able to get under the coach to check it out so my question, who do I get to check it out and repair the leak? Obviously the RV repair place doesn’t do chassis stuff. 
Thank you

I would not worry about the leak at this point if your leveling lasts 10 days. The cost of chasing air leaks on a Coach can become ridiculous. The leak could be coming from many places other than the bags. It would be hard for a shop to determine location for a leak that small. 

• Like 1

If mine would stay up for 10 days I'd be elated.  

Most of the time the leaks are not from the air bags but from the 6-pack solenoids.  They have small o-rings that get dry and leak air.  

If you decide to rebuild them you will need to find a place that works on big truck air suspension systems.  HWH will work on your system but you'll need to make an appointment and drive to Moscow Iowa.   

Or, build some "2x12" ramps and do it yourself.  It's not difficult.  

I have found and repaired 35 air leaks on my 08 Dynasty. After getting her all sealed up we made two trips for about 1500 miles and an airbag has started leaking. It leaks out completely within an 30 minutes. There are a few holes in the side of the bag where the rubber has rotted and dried out. I am now replacing all the bags with new Firestone bags. My point is you could have many small leaks or one big one. The best thing to do is stack about 5 each 2x12 boards screwed together to make some ramps. You need at least 4 ramps and drive that coach up on them. Get a cold beverage and a spray bottle of soapy water and start check any and all connections. That way when you find the leak/problem you can find an appropriate shop and explain to them in general what and where the problem is. I  don't know about everyone else but I am not up for paying some dude $150 - $200 an hour to lay on their back and spray water just to say "yep you have a leak". 

Mine will last 7 days, all original air bags,they will eventually loose air as everyone has mentioned,I take mine to a certified safety shop ,one of my clients  they chase me out the door and say don't worry about it. 

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

Someone posted the "acceptable" leak down rates a couple months ago, both Monaco and I think DOT and it was measured in hours, not days. My Valid Air Leveling system has a small automatic auxiliary air compressor and small tank, the brain wakes up every 2 hours and re-levels. The compressor runs as needed. I could never imagine going 10 days. If I'm on un-level ground my compressor runs every cycle for 1-2 minutes. A 40 degree temperature change would effect level when parked on uneven ground with some air bags compressed and others extended. I've swept my system using a sonic leak detector and soap and haven't found any leaks and my 3 different gauges all hold but I know it wouldn't last 10 days.

Half the coach's I see aren't anywhere close to level so I suspect a good many don't function correctly. 

17 hours ago, Old Dog said:

Someone posted the "acceptable" leak down rates a couple months ago, both Monaco and I think DOT and it was measured in hours, not days. My Valid Air Leveling system has a small automatic auxiliary air compressor and small tank, the brain wakes up every 2 hours and re-levels. The compressor runs as needed. I could never imagine going 10 days. If I'm on un-level ground my compressor runs every cycle for 1-2 minutes. A 40 degree temperature change would effect level when parked on uneven ground with some air bags compressed and others extended. I've swept my system using a sonic leak detector and soap and haven't found any leaks and my 3 different gauges all hold but I know it wouldn't last 10 days.

Half the coach's I see aren't anywhere close to level so I suspect a good many don't function correctly. 

All the air leaks I have found and fixed had nothing to do with the Valid leveling system directly. The manifolds/vales/air lines were all tight and good. The leaks were at the primary and secondary tanks, pressure regulators, air dryer, compressor governor, tag axles pressure regulator, air/water bleed off valves front and rear. Now air bag failure. These are complicated machines and it is almost getting to the point where it is just not worth the trouble. I wonder if the RV market has gone soft yet???

Robert

At times it can be discouraging, everyone has felt your pain,when you own a coach you do not need another hobby! It will get better,once you fix these small issues you will be good to go, hang in there, I just fix what I can get to and other things sometimes just have to wait. 

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

6 minutes ago, WayneC said:

Robert

At times it can be discouraging, everyone has felt your pain,when you own a coach you do not need another hobby! It will get better,once you fix these small issues you will be good to go, hang in there, I just fix what I can get to and other things sometimes just have to wait. 

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

Wayne

Thank you for your encouraging words. I think the main problem with my coach is the lack of use by the previous owner. This 2008 had 23,000 miles on a one owner coach when I bought it  1 1/2 years ago. It sat in his garage for the last 3 years he owned and never moved it, started it, ran the generator or anything. It had 8 "brand new" tires with less than 50 miles on them. All ruined with flat spots and inner case breaking down. The problem with the new coaches is the decline in materials and craftsmanship. I have to fix the air bag problem because we can not use as it is. Sometimes I feel like it is just more money thrown down the drain with no real return.

I Get it, I was fortunate and bought my 99 signature ceaser from a meticulous logging contractor that is a friend , he had a fleet of logging trucks,always stored indoors?,used it once a year from the time he owned it,it was the only reason I bought it. He would have never sold it to me if he new I was going to have problems.i know that I have to put at least $600.00/month away for what could happen next,it is what it is, I love my rig! Priceless!

• 4 weeks later...