Water in front Run Box

Johnny Mo

Recently I had been working in the front run box when I noticed water all over, top to bottom. I had washed the coach a couple days prior.

So I got to work with compressed air and a towel, it looked like the door was open while washing and got sprayed (it was not open). Water was dripping off the bundle of wires at the top of the box, running down the circuit boards.  I could not find anything wet on the outside top or the sides of the box. 

As I was finishing wiping and still wondering how water got in there, I just happened to wipe the door seal from the bottom to the top and water shot out the top of the seal like a hose. The seal is round and hollow like a hose, It is one piece with the ends facing up on the left and right top corners of the opening. A flat seal runs horizontal at the top.

So I plugged the ends with RTV. I believe the seal filled with water while washing the coach. So while working in the frb wiring new running lights, opening and closing the door   water was squirting out of the seal. The door hinges at the top and latches at the bottom. So when I close the door I push it in tight with one hand and latch with the other.

Hence the water getting push out.

I know that all the these coaches are different, but check how your seals are installed...

• Like 1

Not to forget checking the top of the wire cluster where you say water.   Sound like a job for more caulking.

Also, check your driver’s window sealant at the upper front corner. Most coaches of this vintage have a plastic molding that terminates there and this a leakage prone area. My coach had this problem. Water entered here, traveled  down the inside of the outer wall and ran out on the floor under the drivers seat. It also migrated through wiring access holes to the front run bay. 

I used Window Glazing  Ribbon Putty, and applied some to the **** inside & outside ****  of anything that enters the FRB, and RRB. Keeps them dry, and clean. After 10 years of full timing it was all still there.

Edited by Paul A.