Diamond Shield or 3M?

Go to solution Solved by Bill R,

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished removing the adhesive  yesterday, followed by a rinse and hand drying.  64 hours total.  Looks like I lifted small dots of clear coat here and there, but barely noticeable.  There are 5-6 small rock chips.  Pics below...

Now I have to decide whether to have new film applied (I'm 90 miles NE of Atlanta, almost in SC, and choices seem limited.

In the meantime, the bra I purchased in January will have to protect the paint.

Thanks to many many persons on this thread for your advice and descriptions!!  It was a painful process, but worth it.

MATERIALS LIST:

Bucket
Trash bags
Halogen flood light
Harbor Freight chisels
Knee pad
Plastic/bags
Painters tape
Cardboard
Spray bottles
Garbage pail & bags
Stool /seat
Head lamp
Ext cord & 3-way plug
Fan
Distilled water
Steamer (Harbor Freight)
Plastic scraper & blades (Amazon) 
Paper towels
Rapid Remover
Gorilla gloves
7 Mil nitrile gloves (Harbor Freight)
1 gal water for rinse
Heat gun (not worth it)

20240720_183055.thumb.jpg.b95b420eccee09c17473508039ebc4f1.jpg20240720_183157.thumb.jpg.d7d3e919997d779b267ba629d15c8a2d.jpg

• Like 1

DiamondShield has a traveling tech that was at a campground in Louisiana doing a removal and install. He was there 2-3 days.

The same tech came to my house in Atlanta to take care of a small warranty issue I had after I had DiamondShield installed when we had our cola h painted in October 2021.

I am very happy with our DiamondShield.

Paul

I used "Rapid Remover" on our Executive. Some areas came off easy while some areas required more effort. I have removed everything above the bottom of the headlights. It only took 8-9 hours, and it looks great. The clear coat below the windshield shows some cracking but not enough to repaint it. The "RR" made the job easy and quick.  

4 hours ago, Venturer said:

I used "Rapid Remover" on our Executive. Some areas came off easy while some areas required more effort. I have removed everything above the bottom of the headlights. It only took 8-9 hours, and it looks great. The clear coat below the windshield shows some cracking but not enough to repaint it. The "RR" made the job easy and quick.  

Did you use a steamer or heat gun?  About how many square feet total?  That RR is the miracle solvent!

I used a heat gun. I warmed up a section then reapplied heat just ahead of the plastic scraper. I got it too hot on 2 small spots but covered them with touchup paint. I think a good hair dryer would have been safer. I removed 24 sq ft. The lower 12 sq ft looks fine yet.     

I used a hairdryer as well. Agreed.

I will say that the weather and temperature greatly impact the ease or difficulty of the project. If I had delayed until Spring in Texas TP remove, the warmer temps would have made the job easier.