7500 Onan Generator won't Start

NAMVET77
Go to solution Solved by NAMVET77,

I assume no smell of unburned diesel from the exhaust either. Really hard to check and not get dirty. Taking the side panel off seems necessary to confirm fuel to injectors, don't know if any one of them is reacheable from the top?  Dumping the return fuel through a clear hose into a bucket would be easier but not a complete test. Fuel actuator fault, shutting down the pressure pumps is a possibility. 

I thinks she's primed it enough to start.  

At this point I think my only option is to have her to the Loves RV stop in normal and wait there until Tuesday AM.  There is a Cummins shop ~1/2 mile north of Loves.  I will call first thing 7AM and see what they say  and/or have her go there and plead her case. 

Jim, are you saying that the second set of codes were 3-6?

You should have had a third number like a 1 or 2 or 3 ahead of the second set of codes based on what the manual is stating.

6 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Jim, are you saying that the second set of codes were 3-6?

You should have had a third number like a 1 or 2 or 3 ahead of the second set of codes based on what the manual is stating.

It would only flash 3 flashes, she hit the button again and it would flash 3-6  then repeat.  no other codes

OK, good. The blink sequence is returning a 3 then a 3-6 which are the three numbers the manual states.

The troubleshooting step explanation is exactly what I had posted earlier for the 3 - 3/6 blink code.

Sounds like it has to go in for a Cummins Onan service tech to find out exactly what is going on.

I'll put my money on a bad fuel pump.  Easy to check - remove the return fuel line to the tank.  If you see little to no fuel flow, since the filter was already changed, the fuel pump internal check valve likely failed.  Yep, happened to me too.

9 hours ago, Frank McElroy said:

I'll put my money on a bad fuel pump.  Easy to check - remove the return fuel line to the tank.  If you see little to no fuel flow, since the filter was already changed, the fuel pump internal check valve likely failed.  Yep, happened to me too.

Ya, I'm thinking something to do with fuel delivery.  I looked at the parts diagram and can't see any type of fuel cut off solenoid, so it the pump the only thing that stops fuel to engine??

Might get lucky, I called Cummins first thing and finally got through to a person.  The service manager was a woman and when I said my wife was traveling alone with dogs the service manage said bring it right over and just park in front and she'd have a tech come look at it. 

I sent a text to my wife with everything that she did and said that it is a fuel delivery problem.  Pump/Hose/collapsed hose etc. 

So my wife got to the Cummins shop by  ~8AM CT.  

A tech finally came out ~1 hour later.  Also agreed it was fuel delivery and hookup up a remote tank to eliminate the hosing from the tank.  Still no start so he now says it is fuel pump and can replaces today. 

Hopefully that will get her going, if not she'll probably head towards central Michigan where her friend is and she will have hookups.

Stay tuned for updates.

26 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

So my wife got to the Cummins shop by  ~8AM CT.  

A tech finally came out ~1 hour later.  Also agreed it was fuel delivery and hookup up a remote tank to eliminate the hosing from the tank.  Still no start so he now says it is fuel pump and can replaces today. 

Hopefully that will get her going, if not she'll probably head towards central Michigan where her friend is and she will have hookups.

Stay tuned for updates.

Well,

I KNOW this has been frustrating for her and you....and SHE SHOULD GET A MEDAL for all her work.

The fuel line or the "Pinhole" leak was a common issue in the Windsors...maybe more, but maybe 10 years ago, it was common for them.  The remote tank worked.  Sounds like the Tech knows his stuff.

ONWARD...  We all, or at least me, learned a lot...especially about trusting the codes and then going for the simple...the remote tank nailed it...

Let us know...

8 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

Which pump?  The high pressure injection pump or supply pump for the generator?

- bob

Based on what was posted and my elementary knowledge....the fuels systems for the Genny and the Engine are totally separate.  There are separate pick up tubes.  I assumed that the Fuel Pump, the ONAN Genny Pump, is defective.  The troubleshooting and the use of the Remote Fuel Tank (thereby eliminating the pesky Pin Hole leak or a bad supply hose) has narrowed it down.

That's my take....

43 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

Right, but the genny has it's own hi pressure injection pump . . . .

- bob

May be a matter of semantics.  BUT, in my 8KW, similar, I hope, to the 7.5KW, there is only one pump...persay...according to the manual. THERE IS a SUPPLY or the source of fuel to the injectors...but it is not listed anywhere as a PUMP.  The Coolant and Fuel Pump (pages 14-1 and 14-2) are the only "PUMPS" when I did several key word searches.

MY thought...the main pump...that is easily removed and replaced...it was NOT pumping or delivering fuel...thus...that one...

Onan 8K Service Manual 981-0522B Pages 14_1 & 14_2 FUEL SYSTEM.pdf

It was the small priming pump, it would sound different when it picks up fuel and pressure increases.

Anyway, the final bill was $840.  The small pump cost $254, rest was labor and tax. 

A little painful knowing I could have fixed this myself but such is life?   Knowing what labor costs rates are in a Cummins shop it's about what you'd expect.  She was in/out in about 3 hours, and they did get her in pretty quick. 

Hate to think what would have happen if any of the dogs got too hot!!!  She would spare no expense for medical care, trust me on that

But she's headed to Battle Creek MI as I type.  

So life is good👍👍👍

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

It was the small priming pump, it would sound different when it picks up fuel and pressure increases.

Anyway, the final bill was $840.  The small pump cost $254, rest was labor and tax. 

A little painful knowing I could have fixed this myself but such is life?   Knowing what labor costs rates are in a Cummins shop it's about what you'd expect.  She was in/out in about 3 hours, and they did get her in pretty quick. 

Hate to think what would have happen if any of the dogs got too hot!!!  She would spare no expense for medical care, trust me on that

But she's headed to Battle Creek MI as I type.  

So life is good👍👍👍

GREAT....first she is NOW mobile.  She also has learned a lot.  And you have been a great coach.

YES...knowing the costs of pet care and overnight stays in an ICU/ER....you spent less than one third (probably out of date) than what it would have cost for one of her "kiddies" to be admitted.

5 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

GREAT....first she is NOW mobile.  She also has learned a lot.  And you have been a great coach.

YES...knowing the costs of pet care and overnight stays in an ICU/ER....you spent less than one third (probably out of date) than what it would have cost for one of her "kiddies" to be admitted.

She spares no expense on the dogs.  

One of her oldest Pekingese had been having heart problems, she'd take it in about every two weeks, he was on special meds etc.  But when the time came she ultimately had him euthanized and then cremated, that cost $400.   Her oldest female has dementia, she gets lost in a corner, and she's on special meds for that.   The older Curly Coated retriever had a stroke ~6 weeks ago but she's nursed him back.   The house is basically a geriatric facility, hell I even put in a access ramp on the last deck I put in.  So it is what it is  &  we have 11 dogs so it adds up. 

The reality (problem) is she use to work at the University of TN Knoxville vet hospital as a tech, and worked training veterinary students.  She probably knows more then most practicing vets.  With knowledge comes power and the requires cost associated with higher level of care.

• Thanks 1

Jim... the real saving grace of this is that the issue was not something that YOU should have discovered and/or fixed prior to her leaving.  A fuel pump replacement is not normal standard maintenance so you are in the clear.  LOL.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

No way of predicting when that pump will fail!

Fuel pump is 30 years old on my DKD 7.5, still has the factory paint on it.  I just got done fixing mine, the previous owner had been wedging a hat pin into the switch to make it stay running, ran all day and worked perfect as long as the hat pin stayed in place.

Found a bad relay on the control board, of course being of 1994 vintage the chance of getting a board, even if you could afford one, was zero. So, basically jumped across the bad relay with a generic relay and now it runs without the optional hat pin.

What I did learn is that the factory control is outrageously over complicated for what it is, and that parts with "Onan Green" paint are just stupid expensive.  12" long 1" diameter preformed upper radiator hose, anywhere from $56-75 depending on who you buy it from.  1ft of 1" heater hose, no reason for the pre-forming, was $5.

CRAP>>> NO START AGAIN

She tried to start the generator and it won't start again.  She ran it quite a bit over the last 2 days.  Shows she has+50 gallons of fuel based on the Silverleaf display making allowance for generator usage, I know from experience that the generator runs out of fuel at the 28 gallon mark.

Going to have her get fuel at first chance just in case. 

Not sure if something might be blocking fuel line or not.   Mechanic removed fuel line and hooked up auxiliary tank but still no start and then changed fuel pump and it started. 

Since then she ran the generator ~15 hours (guessing) and now a no start again.  So maybe if it's picking up trash and blocking the pickup tube so it won't start.  Pickup tube is smaller and could be blocked.

I do have the FASS system and it continually circulates polishes fuel.  Cummins is running good. 

She's headed to a friends house ~125 miles away, once she lands I'll start trying to troubleshoot remotely.  The friends husband might be able to help but not real mechanical, but probably be willing to try.  

I have called the Cummins shop that worked on the generator on Tuesday, waiting for a call back from the tech that did the work. 

Sorry man, that sucks so much money later. Would be interesting to know what else beside the external tank he has done to diagnose the pump. Pumps go bad but so does fuel actuator and other parts.

I just got off the phone with the tech who did the work.

He had hooked up an external fuel tank/jug, tried to prime using the old pump, nope.  He said from the sound he could tell it wasn't pump (and I agree with this, when I listened while my wife was priming the pump never did quite down)

Diagnosed it as the fuel pump and wrote a ~$1000 estimate my wife had to sign before they started.  He then changed the pump, primed the system, started and let it run for 30 minutes, wrote the bill and my wife left with $854 charged to my CC.

~15 hours later won't start again.  Priming it sounds about the same, pump is loud. 

He said the first thing to do is fill up the fuel tank, which I had already told her to do, she will be stopping just south of Saginaw.

He said if that doesn't fix it look at fuel line, then pickup tube. 

So it's a waiting game now and probably won't take a hard look at until next week if my wife can get to her friends house. 

MAN, I thought with my wife on the road in the Monaco I'd have an easy go of it.   I spent dozens of hours going over everything on the coach trying to make sure she wouldn't have problems like this. 

• Like 1