7500 Onan Generator won't Start

NAMVET77
Go to solution Solved by NAMVET77,

Jim, years ago I had a tow truck driver who came i with an intermittent fuel starvation problem. His engine would stall, and after shut off he could start it and run for an undetermined time. 
Finally, we pulled the tank and found a paper windshield towel in the tank that was blocking the pickup screen only occasionally. 

I know this is a completely different scenario, but checking the tank for foreign objects might be in your future. Hopefully, filling the tank solves your wife’s issue.

If they can get to it, follow the metal fuel line from the pump up to the injector pump, there's a plug on the fitting where it enters the injector pump, if they loosen the plug there should be a steady stream of fuel when the electric pump is running.  On my model the starter will not even run until the fuel shut off solenoid is fully pulled in, so that is apparently working.

The fuel fitting plug, the one sticking straight out, looks like this one on mine:

forumrunner_20180121_110546-jpg.72278

Turn the fuel pump on, loosen the plug, should be a steady stream, tighten the plug before turning off the pump.  If no fuel comes out, or just a few drips, the supply pump is either bad or there's a feed issue before the pump.

Posted (edited)

So she stopped an filled up with fuel, based on the Silverleaf  at 65 gallons left in tank and an allowance of ~10 gallon of generator time it should have taken about 73 gallons to fill the tank. 

It took 112 gallons  >>>>> someone must have siphoned almost 50 gallons out of the tank, unless she's got a heck of a fuel leak.    I am going to have her check everything when she gets to her friends house.

She was running on fumes could have been worse if she'd run out of fuel on the interstate

She figures it happened at Walmart in Battle Creek MI. 

Same thing, to a lesser degree, happened to me Colorado last year, I couldn't account for about 15 gallons of fuel, and with the Silverleaf you shouldn't be that far off between fillups.

FWIW, I did call Cummins and tell them what we think happened and that the generator started right up. 

Edited by jacwjames
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

So she stopped an filled up with fuel, based on the Silverleaf  at 65 gallons left in tank and an allowance of ~10 gallon of generator time it should have taken about 73 gallons to fill the tank. 

It took 112 gallons  >>>>> someone must have siphoned almost 50 gallons out of the tank, unless she's got a heck of a fuel leak.    I am going to have her check everything when she gets to her friends house.

She was running on fumes could have been worse if she'd run out of fuel on the interstate

She figures it happened at Walmart in Battle Creek MI. 

Same thing, to a lesser degree, happened to me Colorado last year, I couldn't account for about 15 gallons of fuel, and with the Silverleaf you shouldn't be that far off between fillups.

FWIW, I did call Cummins and tell them what we think happened and that the generator started right up. 

JIM,

This post and topic is moving up on the list of “Days of Our Lives - in a Monaco Motor Home”.  LOL….Take that from a moderator that has had an active, and sometimes frustrating, week.

I admit to following all the posts as well as PM’ing you and so glad the Genny is fixed and things seem to be OK.

But, 

I’m a little fuzzy on the chronology. Could you fill in the gaps…

Got the pump replaced earlier this week.  Maybe Tuesday?  Then she started on the rest of the journey.  Which night, or day did the missing fuel occur? I’m assuming that it happened AFTER the pump was replaced. IIRC, the tech did remote tank test.  That was what focused him on the supply pump….and then, there was sufficient fuel to start and run the Genny.

DOES your filler spout doors have the locks?  Unfortunately memory fails me.  My power cord reel and engine compartment has the same “universal CH-751” Southco locks….  BUT, I also think that is the same lock on the fuel doors.  The Bay doors are all Trimark and many different numbers.  So, if I correct, someone could get into my filler spout doors, located on the two “Fuel Tank” bay doors with the universal Monaco CH-751.  

I have over the years, in the house, added National Locks to many base cabinets and upper china cabinets….these are also the same locks that came on my wooden gun cabinet….the one I bought in 1969 from a buddy that had just started his on furniture factory.  I ordered the locks directly from National and specified keyed alike & the key number.  I think that my Nationals would fit on the filler doors..same type of locking tab….

Sorry if I lost the story line….thanks,

She was in Bloomington ILL for the dog show and filled up at the Loves prior to parking at the dog show, always good to have full fuel tanks at the events in case power goes out.  Maybe drove 20 miles round trip and went back to the Loves stop on Monday May 27th. 

Tuesday May 28th  AM I was able to get her an appointment at the Cummins shop first thing, it was ~1/2 mile from the Loves.  They were able to get her right in/out in about 3 hours, replaced the fuel pump.

From there she drove to Battle Creek Michigan, ~270 miles where she spent the night and ran the generator some not sure how much since it was pretty cool at night.

On May 29th she she drove to somewhere near Oxford MI.  and spent two nights at a campground. 

May 31, today went to visit a friend and she tried to start the generator NOPE.  Drove to a station just north of Flint and pumped 112 gallons. 

Based on Map quest she drove less then 500 miles, Silverleaf display said she had 65 gallons to empty, so with generator time may be 55 gallons>>> should have pumped 73 gallons but she pumped 112.  ~50 gallon difference.   I know the generator runs out of fuel at 28 gallons in tank, I did it one time.  So that's why the generator wouldn't run.  She was close to running out of fuel, an even worse scenario. 

No locks on fuel tank and on at least the drivers side no lock on basement door since this is the propane compartment.  

She has since arrived at her friends house and said while engine and generator were running looked underneath and found no fuel leaks. 

It's been one heck of an 11 days since she left.

She's stationary now for 3-4 weeks so maybe I can get some rest😝

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Time for some serious locking diesel caps on your fuel tanks.

The keys that come with the coach are basically useless.

I agree.  Diesel fuel theft is now becoming a "thing" here in So Cal according to the Ring app alerts.

My search for a locking cap starts right after I post this. I'll be looking for one for my Duramax too.

2 hours ago, jacwjames said:

She was in Bloomington ILL for the dog show and filled up at the Loves prior to parking at the dog show, always good to have full fuel tanks at the events in case power goes out.  Maybe drove 20 miles round trip and went back to the Loves stop on Monday May 27th. 

Tuesday May 28th  AM I was able to get her an appointment at the Cummins shop first thing, it was ~1/2 mile from the Loves.  They were able to get her right in/out in about 3 hours, replaced the fuel pump.

From there she drove to Battle Creek Michigan, ~270 miles where she spent the night and ran the generator some not sure how much since it was pretty cool at night.

On May 29th she she drove to somewhere near Oxford MI.  and spent two nights at a campground. 

May 31, today went to visit a friend and she tried to start the generator NOPE.  Drove to a station just north of Flint and pumped 112 gallons. 

Based on Map quest she drove less then 500 miles, Silverleaf display said she had 65 gallons to empty, so with generator time may be 55 gallons>>> should have pumped 73 gallons but she pumped 112.  ~50 gallon difference.   I know the generator runs out of fuel at 28 gallons in tank, I did it one time.  So that's why the generator wouldn't run.  She was close to running out of fuel, an even worse scenario. 

No locks on fuel tank and on at least the drivers side no lock on basement door since this is the propane compartment.  

She has since arrived at her friends house and said while engine and generator were running looked underneath and found no fuel leaks. 

It's been one heck of an 11 days since she left.

She's stationary now for 3-4 weeks so maybe I can get some rest😝

I don’t know Jim, after following you and your DW travails, I’m starting to think the problem is Michigan. 🤔

34 minutes ago, VinceB said:

I found these.  Amazon has cheap plastic ones too.

I swapped my Duramax cap with the Monaco and vice versa and it's a fit. 

I ordered 2 keyed alike. https://dmaxstore.com/products/dmaxstore-billet-locking-fuel-cap-for-2001-2023-gm-hd-6-6l-duramax-diesel?variant=44299157930122

I would like to see photos of how it fits on to the Monaco filler neck. My Monaco fuel caps screw onto the outside of the 2 inch filler neck.

18 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

I would like to see photos of how it fits on to the Monaco filler neck. My Monaco fuel caps screw onto the outside of the 2 inch filler neck.

Well, then these won’t work for you. Mine both screw to the inside of the neck.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, VinceB said:

I agree.  Diesel fuel theft is now becoming a "thing" here in So Cal according to the Ring app alerts.

Ha, I spent Feb in So Cal, and the biggest thief I though was the power company!

I burned propane or diesel when possible!

I was in a gated RV resort, so theft was minimal, although a couple of golf cars had disappeared.

Edited by 96 EVO

17 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Ha, I spent Feb in So Cal, and the biggest thief I though was the power company!

I burned propane or diesel when possible!

I was in a gated RV resort, so theft was minimal, although a couple of golf cars had disappeared.

Yeah and e-bike theft is a big problem too. 

Glad to hear the problem this time was just low fuel.  
My Diplomat has a 100 gallon tank and the Medallion will light and say “Low Fuel” - I think at 25 gallons.  I swear I read that somewhere, but can’t find it now.  I do know the light works - I usually fill up well before it comes on.

I’ve thought about getting locking fuel caps, but someone commented (on here, I think) that you might just leave it alone, since they might punch a hole in your tank.

Whenever I stay at a Walmart, etc.  I always walk around the coach and toad in the morning.  I check for anything placed under the tires and also make sure the hitch pins are secure.  I wonder if you could put a small piece of cardboard in the fuel tank door hinge.  It would fall out if anyone opened it.  It’s a shame we have to constantly be in the lookout. 

10 hours ago, Bill R said:

Bought 2 locking vented caps several years ago from these guys.  Well built and reasonable.

https://www.truckspring.com/heavy-duty-truck-parts/truck-body-parts/caps.aspx?page=1

Those are very reasonable at $40 each. I don't see anyplace where they would offer matching Keyed Caps although a quick call to the company would answer my question.

Thanks for the link!

• 1 month later...

One problem is clearance, my current screw on cap comes very close to the basement door on the passenger side, I have to lower the slowly.  If I don't the cap will hit the small access door for fuel, at which point it pops open.