Going HIGH TECH….2007 Dynasty. New Inverter Charger and Lithiums and such. Questions??” and Help Needed.

John C
Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

5 hours ago, John C said:

I don't believe I need to re-wire the coach, I am planning to use the current 12v wire with my 12v Bank, for 24V battery system I need to pull new wires to the inverter compartment, so the 24V system won't interface with the 12v house system at all. it only does 3 thing

1) Generator 110v for one 110v hot wire

2) charge the chassis battery when not driving (DC-DC)

3) charged by chassis battery when driving (DC-DC)

Yes I need to split the two 110v hot wire and combine those at inverter level, but those are not re-wire

2007 High Current Low Voltage RRB 38070173.pdf 182.45 kB · 0 downloads

I am planning to start the project this Friday and I will keep post new progress here

I'm curious how you plan to get two 50 Amp 110 VAC circuits to the inverter(s) and then then two more 50 Amp,  110 VAC circuits back out of the inverter to the Main Power Panel?  That appears to me to be two separate 6/3 with ground cables.  Am I missing something?

-Rick N.

3 hours ago, Jim Stringer said:

I used two empty compartments....on driver side my old battery compartment holds my 2 start batteries and the compartment where my old converter was holds my two 12v lithium house batteries

I could have relocated all my batteries to a bigger place, but because the current battery compartment & the one compartment next to it(for my 6 12V Battery) have all metal around it (except the door), so I feel much safe this way in case of a battery fire (of course very unlikely)

15 minutes ago, waterskier_1 said:

I'm curious how you plan to get two 50 Amp 110 VAC circuits to the inverter(s) and then then two more 50 Amp,  110 VAC circuits back out of the inverter to the Main Power Panel?  That appears to me to be two separate 6/3 with ground cables.  Am I missing something?

-Rick N.

My understanding is (I could be wrong and I will find it out on Friday) there should be already a 50amp wire from the transfer switch to the Magnum inverter, and from the inverter, there should be a 50amp wire goes to the main power panel, otherwise I wouldn't have to power with the current inverter but I do right now.

21 minutes ago, John C said:

I could have relocated all my batteries to a bigger place, but because the current battery compartment & the one compartment next to it(for my 6 12V Battery) have all metal around it (except the door), so I feel much safe this way in case of a battery fire (of course very unlikely)

My understanding is (I could be wrong and I will find it out on Friday) there should be already a 50amp wire from the transfer switch to the Magnum inverter, and from the inverter, there should be a 50amp wire goes to the main power panel, otherwise I wouldn't have to power with the current inverter but I do right now.

Look at the prints.  IF I AM CORRECT....You have the DUAL IN and DUAL OUT Magnum system. There are TWO 30 Amp breakers (Download your manual from MonacoCoach....its all in there)... They FEED the SINGLE Magnum unit.  The DUAL out then goes to the Sub Panel. That Subpanel is basically a 220 VAC panel...but you only use Line 1 and Line 2.  Again the manual has the breakers.  I KNOW for a fact that is how it works...

IF you start to swap out inverters and such...then you will need to figure out HOW to use the existing wiring from the SINGLE inverter and get it back to the Subpanel.

BTW, that is only #10 wire...not any #8.  SO, there ain't NO 50 Amp lines there...

LOOK BELOW... That is what you have and will have to deal with...unless you plan on a major "WIRE SNAKING" event from the Inverter to the Sub Panel...

38011031 (Schematic, Panel, 110 Volt, Sine Wave Inverter).pdf

36 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Look at the prints.  IF I AM CORRECT....You have the DUAL IN and DUAL OUT Magnum system. There are TWO 30 Amp breakers (Download your manual from MonacoCoach....its all in there)... They FEED the SINGLE Magnum unit.  The DUAL out then goes to the Sub Panel. That Subpanel is basically a 220 VAC panel...but you only use Line 1 and Line 2.  Again the manual has the breakers.  I KNOW for a fact that is how it works...

IF you start to swap out inverters and such...then you will need to figure out HOW to use the existing wiring from the SINGLE inverter and get it back to the Subpanel.

BTW, that is only #10 wire...not any #8.  SO, there ain't NO 50 Amp lines there...

LOOK BELOW... That is what you have and will have to deal with...unless you plan on a major "WIRE SNAKING" event from the Inverter to the Sub Panel...

38011031 (Schematic, Panel, 110 Volt, Sine Wave Inverter).pdf 88.36 kB · 0 downloads

This is what I had to do. The Xantrax had 2 circuits out. Mine were 1 for microwave and the other for 1 set of plugs. 

I ran new wire up to the panel from my new Victron to the panel. I got rid of the block heater and made that breaker the microwave. 

IMG_8872.jpeg

IMG_8893.jpeg

IMG_8894.jpeg

IMG_8875.jpeg

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

38011031 (Schematic, Panel, 110 Volt, Sine Wave Inverter).pdf 88.36 kB · 0 downloads

Here is the my Magnum MS2812 Inverter diagram(from inverter manual), no sure why the AC2 in and AC2 Out are not extended outside of the box as AC1 IN and AC1 Out. maybe there are optional?

If there are AC1 IN & AC2 IN TO the Magnum Inverter and AC1 OUT & AC2 OUT FROM the Magnum Inverter, then it would be very simple for me.

But if there are no AC2 IN & AC2 OUT, then my project will be much much harder than I expected.

If doesn't matter the wire is 8 AWG or 10 AWG, even if I have two 12 AWG , it will be enough for me. but I need two hots.

Right now at this moment I am cautiously optimistic , I still believe I should have 2 INs & 2 OUTs

Will find out when I get my coach back on Friday.

magnum2.png

2 Inverters.png

1 hour ago, JDCrow said:

This is what I had to do. The Xantrax had 2 circuits out. Mine were 1 for microwave and the other for 1 set of plugs. 

I ran new wire up to the panel from my new Victron to the panel. I got rid of the block heater and made that breaker the microwave. 

IMG_8872.jpeg

IMG_8893.jpeg

IMG_8894.jpeg

IMG_8875.jpeg

That is A LOT of work, I hope I don't have to do this.

Edited by John C

4 hours ago, John C said:

The 50 Amp wire 6/3 with ground, goes from the transfer switch output to your main breaker panel.  Then you have one or two (if dual input) 30 Amp cable from the Invert Circuit Breaker in the Main power panel to the inverter input(s).  Then from the inverter, you likely have another one or two 30 Amp cables to the Inverter Sub Panel.  

-Rick N.

4 hours ago, Jim Stringer said:

Rick,

There is only one 50amp wire that feeds the RV so theoretically he needs one from the transfer switch to the inverter and then from the inverter to the main breaker box.

I think that is what I said.  If by 50 Amp wire we are talking about 6/3 with ground (meaning two legs of 50 Amp).

-Rick N

1 hour ago, John C said:

Here is the my Magnum MS2812 Inverter diagram(from inverter manual), no sure why the AC2 in and AC2 Out are not extended outside of the box as AC1 IN and AC1 Out. maybe there are optional?

If there are AC1 IN & AC2 IN TO the Magnum Inverter and AC1 OUT & AC2 OUT FROM the Magnum Inverter, then it would be very simple for me.

But if there are no AC2 IN & AC2 OUT, then my project will be much much harder than I expected.

If doesn't matter the wire is 8 AWG or 10 AWG, even if I have two 12 AWG , it will be enough for me. but I need two hots.

Right now at this moment I am cautiously optimistic , I still believe I should have 2 INs & 2 OUTs

Will find out when I get my coach back on Friday.

magnum2.png

2 Inverters.png

That is A LOT of work, I hope I don't have to do this.

If you do as proposed above, you will be bypassing the inverter completely (and if the inputs/output to the inverter are not removed, likely destroying the inverter).  Or, are those Red boxes indicating the Victron Inverters.  If so, you likely don't have sufficient wire capacity (50 Amp for each leg) going into the inverter.  Secondly, if you simply wire the output the way you show, only the outlets that were on inverter power before will be on the new inverters.  This will not power the whole Main Breaker Panel to allow for the A/C to operate, without additional wiring.

-Rick N.

3 hours ago, JDCrow said:

You have a totally different coach, a lower end Dip, which does not have an Inverter Sub-Panel, so these comments do not apply to the OP's Dynasty.

-Rick N.

43 minutes ago, waterskier_1 said:

If you do as proposed above, you will be bypassing the inverter completely (and if the inputs/output to the inverter are not removed, likely destroying the inverter).  Or, are those Red boxes indicating the Victron Inverters.  If so, you likely don't have sufficient wire capacity (50 Amp for each leg) going into the inverter.  Secondly, if you simply wire the output the way you show, only the outlets that were on inverter power before will be on the new inverters.  This will not power the whole Main Breaker Panel to allow for the A/C to operate, without additional wiring.

-Rick N.

Yes, those to red boxes represent two Victron Inverters.

It all depends how Monaco wired the inverter, they could wired the inverter as following

1) When connect to Shore power/generator running ==> Transfer Switch => 50AMPS =>Inverter => 50 AMPS to Main Breaker

or

2) When not connected to Shore power/generator Not running==> Transfer Switch =0 AMPS> Inverter Generator Power from Battery=> Generator 30AMPS(or 20AMPS?) => 30 or 20 AMPS to Main Breaker

In my opinion ,this is the most logic way to wire the inverter, If they wired this way as I am hoping I  wouldn't need do much.

25 minutes ago, John C said:

Yes, those to red boxes represent two Victron Inverters.

It all depends how Monaco wired the inverter, they could wired the inverter as following

1) When connect to Shore power/generator running ==> Transfer Switch => 50AMPS =>Inverter => 50 AMPS to Main Breaker

or

2) When not connected to Shore power/generator Not running==> Transfer Switch =0 AMPS> Inverter Generator Power from Battery=> Generator 30AMPS(or 20AMPS?) => 30 or 20 AMPS to Main Breaker

In my opinion ,this is the most logic way to wire the inverter, If they wired this way as I am hoping I  wouldn't need do much.

John - Please look at your wiring diagrams.  The answer is there.  Power goes from the transfer switch first to the main panel breaker box then via circuit breakers to the inverter input and then from the inverter output via back feed circuit breakers to the sub panel box.

15 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

John - Please look at your wiring diagrams.  The answer is there.  Power goes from the transfer switch first to the main panel breaker box then to the inverter input and then from the inverter output to the sub panel box.

OK, that will be much simpler for me, I can just hijack the two wire from transfer switch, wire those two hots to my two inverters, then combine the two inverter send the back to the main panel.

then I just disconnect the Magnum inverter, of course wire the 12v connected to Magnum to the DC input of my 12V Victron Inverter, wire the 24v new wire to 24 Victron Inverter.

I believe the transfer switch is in the same storage compartment as the inverter.

1 hour ago, waterskier_1 said:

The 50 Amp wire 6/3 with ground, goes from the transfer switch output to your main breaker panel.  Then you have one or two (if dual input) 30 Amp cable from the Invert Circuit Breaker in the Main power panel to the inverter input(s).  Then from the inverter, you likely have another one or two 30 Amp cables to the Inverter Sub Panel.  

-Rick N.

I think that is what I said.  If by 50 Amp wire we are talking about 6/3 with ground (meaning two legs of 50 Amp).

-Rick N

-Rick N.

You have a totally different coach, a lower end Dip, which does not have an Inverter Sub-Panel, so these comments do not apply to the OP's Dynasty.

-Rick N.

Ouch, sorry put my inferior, lower end, non worthy thought in. Backing off to my corner. 😂

25 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Ouch, sorry put my inferior, lower end, non worthy thought in. Backing off to my corner. 😂

Simple is better, less is more.

You won't believe how much I am missing my gasser now!

Thats exactly what I was trying to say....bypass the original inverter....I took my old one out and replaced it with an outlet. Or you could just put a junction box and tie the circuits together there. My new inverters supply both legs of the 50amp wire coming from the transfer switch to the main breaker in the rig.

1 hour ago, Jim Stringer said:

Thats exactly what I was trying to say....bypass the original inverter....I took my old one out and replaced it with an outlet. Or you could just put a junction box and tie the circuits together there. My new inverters supply both legs of the 50amp wire coming from the transfer switch to the main breaker in the rig.

This is the way to go!

I was thinking to follow the original wire.

I guess you have think outside the box.

11 hours ago, Jim Stringer said:

This is a popular approach,  and one I often recommend.  But it does not put the entire coach electrical system on the inverter (i.e. A/Cs,  electric water heater, etc, ) on the inverter.  It only puts what was already on the inverter back on the inverter.  I think the OP wants everything on the inverter.

- Rick N 

1 minute ago, waterskier_1 said:

This is a popular approach,  and one I often recommend.  But it does not put the entire coach electrical system on the inverter (i.e. A/Cs,  electric water heater, etc, ) on the inverter.  It only puts what was already on the inverter back on the inverter.  I think the OP wants everything on the inverter.

- Rick N 

I thought this is exactly the same as you run the generator or plug in to the shore power..

@waterskier_1no actually this puts the entire coach on both inverters. By removing the old inverter you are just completing the circuit to the few items that were originally set to run on inverter. The two inverters he plans to use will supply each leg going to the main breaker box just as if if was coming from shorepower or generator.

Jim,

I don't think you understood what I was saying about your inverter battery wires.   The existing ones run from the inverter to the rear run box, you can unhook them from the rrb and connect them to your 24v batteries and move the other end from the current inverter to your two new ones.   No need to run new battery wires to the inverter.

That cabinet you proposing to put your 24v batteries in is right above your muffler, I think.   You may want to evaluate the heat in there before using it for batteries.

--

Granville Barker

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Jim Stringer said:

@Jim Stringer Just notice your solar panels, how did you secure the solar panels on the roof? I noticed first two panel has a slope, how did you do that? did you removed all Roof top A/Cs?

Edited by John C

@John CI made brackets from aluminum angle and then used industrial double sided tape the front two panels are secured to the angle brackets which are taped down and also screwed to the roof....that the only point i used screws i then sealed with sealer and then i used flexseal tape along the front to help seal against air and water so its like a ramp for air....the rest of the panels are screwed to each other and i have brackets coming down to attach to the aluminum angle that is taped to roof....all the panels are pitched slightly for water run off....the panels are about 1.5" above my ac covers....I have put about 3000 miles with this setup so far it works....lol...probably not everyone elses ideal install but at the time I was on a budget....

13 hours ago, Jim Stringer said:

I hope this diagram explains everything better

wiring.png

I have never seen a coach wired this way.  No Monaco' came from the factory with the Inverter Output wired back to the Main Power Panel.  The output was either wired to a microwave and a string of outlets (lower level coaches - Knight, Dip, etc.) or the output of the inverter fed an Inverter Sub-Panel (higher end coaches - Dynasty, Exec, Sig, etc.).  

Your drawing does not simply "bypass the inverter".  It also requires new 50 Amp 6/3 with ground be wired from the transfer switch to the inverter(s) and then another run of 50 Amp 6/3 with ground be wired from the inverter output back to the Main Power Panel.

I have designed coaches with a similar approach, but it does require rewiring the coach.  Firstly, the wiring described above, and then wiring the old circuits that came off the now removed "bypassed" inverter back to a circuit breaker (the previous one was in the inverter) and picking up power from the Main Power Panel (the existing wiring from the Main Power Panel to the inverter can sometimes be reused to input a new mini-circuit breaker panel (box) that would then feed the microwave and outlets previously fed by the old inverter).  

-Rick N.

@waterskier_1I am sure you seem to have alot of experience in this....but I know how my coach was wired and thats how I showed. If my inverter was not on my microwave and a couple other items would not power on regardless if the coach had power i.e. generator or shore power. attached is a picture of my main breaker box which has a circuit that was fed from the inverter.

IMG_1868.HEIC