Alternatives to FASS system

Posted (edited)

I really doubt any kind of fuel filter is set up to bypass when the media is loaded. That wouldn't be a good thing at all. Any filter that gets sufficiently loaded with algae or gook will eventually make the engine stop.

The sticking point is water. FASS's information says that their filter media doesn't block the water, it absorbs it. And once it's loaded to capacity it will plug and the engine will stop.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'm pretty sure FASS doesn't have an R&D team anything like Cat, Cummins and DD. I feel like FASS's choices of filter media may be driven more by their marketing department than anything else. I suspect they want to be able to advertise that they block 99.99% of water where cat and cummins can only advertise 97.6% of water blocked (I totally made-up those numbers BTW).

I'm thinking there are probably some good reasons why the leaders in diesel engines haven't followed FASS's lead and don't choose water-absorbing filter media.

I'll run the first set of FASS filters for a while, but likely switch to Cat filters on the first change. And keep the water sensor in my original 2ndary filter. At this point I don't plan to run a fuel pressure gauge up to the dash. In the absence of a fuel pressure gauge, think I'd rather have the old light indicating 'water in fuel' and then shut the rig down myself. Rather than just have the rig quit running and then having to figure out that it's water in the fuel filter.

Edited by wamcneil
  • Like 1