UPDATE CARB (California Air Resource Board) as applies to Motorhome

Posted (edited)

This subject was discussed a few years ago, but the legislation has changed dramatically since then.  That thread was closed down as it got  political. 

This new thread was approved by the staff and we all hope that we can stick to technical and regulatory issues and not let it deteriorate into a political debate.

Basically all CA registered motorhomes (diesel powered, over 14,001 lbs)  will need to pay a $30/year fee and have a smog check.  My registration comes due in November, so I don't know what's involved with the smog check yet.

This DOES NOT effect any out of state registered motorhomes/private coaches visiting or driving through California.  

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/documents/agricultural-vehicles-california-motorhomes-annual-compliance-requirements

Edited by windsorbill06
  • Thanks 2

Well... I don't have a dog in the fight, as I'm in TN with no plans to ever live in CA.  Just curious what standards my 2003 model, built in 2002 would have to meet in order to comply???

• Like 2

Will they stop registering and/or allowing older rigs to operate? Lots of 7.3 Ford pickups were no longer allowed to run in Cal and made their way to neighboring states. Then the 6.0 powerstrokes as well as they did not have DPF/DEF (SCA systems) 

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Will they stop registering and/or allowing older rigs to operate? Lots of 7.3 Ford pickups were no longer allowed to run in Cal and made their way to neighboring states. Then the 6.0 powerstrokes as well as they did not have DPF/DEF (SCA systems) 

I was told that as long as your coach met the emissions standard for when it was new, you will not have any issues.      @McHughes, Mike Hughes (Monaco Watts) was the one that brought it to my attention back in January.  Hopefully he will see this thread and comment.

I have several friends with older ford and chevy diesel pickups.  1999-2005.    None are having issues getting them registered.  Now if they go to sell them, I don't know.

Edited by windsorbill06
  • Like 1

There is a plethora of information.

https://community.goodsam.com/t5/technical-issues/ca-emission-control-starting-2024/m-p/3598591#M367655

https://becarbcompliant.com/

Basically, if you have a rig, as best I can read….and INTERPRET…with an OBD port…then your ECM “is the snitch”.  That is the port that the Cummins and other diagnostic tools plugs into.  THEN, if all the parameters are fine and no flags or error codes….DRIVE ON.

For those NOT in a state with Annual Testing….this is the Drill.

Take your vehicle (car, truck, whatever) into a Dealer or a Certified Inspection dealer.  Plug in….read….there is a printout.  Then, in NC, they do a multipoint vehicle inspection that also looks at tire tread depth and, maybe, brake pad thickness.  All lights must also work.  Heavy tinting of side and rear windows must have a specific “refractive” test and comply with the State (Fed) standard. 

OK….assume all but say ONE of you knows about the 3 - 5 Drive Cycle “logging” that must be compliant or OK.  Many young geniuses would kill the power to the ECM if they had “tuned” it or modified it….OR if that blankety blanket catalytic convert is plugged or gone or you need a $500 sensor and our check engine light has been on for a year.  SO….kill and drain power.  All CODES GONE….no ENGINE POLLUTING light.  Drive in.  Pass….drive on.

OPPS…the EPA has a “Drive Cycle” test.  This is a diagnostic routine that usually takes 5 - 10 miles and every component is tested….leaky fuel cap or bad O2 sensor down to the tiniest little sensor.  THEN the KILLER.  The OBD will NOT test unless the “Passed THREE TIMES” parameter is OK.  In other words…no more KILL and TEST.  Cars that had a dead battery or were in a body shop for extensive repairs and the battery pulled are an example.  Buddy had one.  He could not, due to health, drive the stick.  We carried it in.  NO CAN TEST.  We drove for maybe 2 hours.  Stopped for 10 minutes….then restarted. Did 5 of these.  There is a “time delay” where just turning OFF…restart…doesn’t count.  Once we had recorded 3 “OK Drive Cycles”, back…passed.

SO…same deal.  If the ECM snitches….issues… you have to correct.  Pure and simple.

NOW….do they have “exhaust pipe analyzers” for older ones??.  Don’t know.  I do KNOW, from way too many years of hotrodding that I would have to restore an EGR or take out a plate or whatever….shade tree fixes…to got more GET UP AND GO.  This stopped with the OBD

NC has a funky rule.  Over 25 years…no OBD testing….even though there is the PORT.  COOL.  OPPS, if you pulled off the Catalytic converter….NOPE.  ALL emissions equipment MUST be in place…and folks have gone to salvage yards and bought converters that were junk…but that was the law.

NOW…if you read about FLEETS….OMG.  You can NOT have an engine older than 2009/10.  So, rig still good….put a NEW mill in it….and it MUST meet the ECM requirements….in other words….no cheating and changing the ECM.  The tester checks to see if the parameters have been altered…

That’s about it.  The rest is….no pass…sell…preferably out of state.  Sell in state.  You (buyer and seller) sign a notarized statement that old Bertha done failed….and the new owner can NOT operate until fixed.

NOW….As requested….lets NOT bash or pontificate the state.  Their laws….you comply or move.  The Good Sam article was posted with the intent of being a good technical resource.  IF there are comments that violate the Staff’s intent….then disregard and DO NOT respond to any “well, if it were me…” quotes.

This is important to our CA members or the members that might become CA residents.  

I have NOT READ…and this is NOT A GUARANTEE…that visitors will be impacted.  Now….who is a visitor?  A person that takes their MH on assignment for a week, month or year?  NO IDEA….  ASSUME  a causal traveler that drives up 101 or an interstate will not be stopped.  BUT, if old Bertha is belching black smoke or when you start off from idling at a stoplight….there is a black nuclear sized mushroom a few seconds down the highway….one may be at risk…

That’ my take….Hopefully , we will become more informed….

1 minute ago, windsorbill06 said:

I was told that as long as your coach met the emissions standard for when it was new, you will not have any issues.      @McHughes, Mike Hughes (Monaco Watts) was the one that brought it to my attention back in January.  Hopefully he will see this thread and comment.

I have several friends with older ford and chevy diesel pickups.  1999-2005.    None are having issues getting them registered.

YES…I think it was the same…but if one operates those and are considered as “commercial” or FLEET…then there are very strict laws…

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/our-work/programs/truck-and-bus-regulation

The TRUCK AND BUS CARB standards is the one that said….no engine older than 2009/10….it’s in there….hard to find.

BUT as long as a MH is for personal use and “holiday” traveling….i THINK that it falls into the regs you posted….but if one travels to say “events” such as a NASCAR race and wells things out of a trailer…and uses their MH’s to tow….that, since they are a “business” might be a very thin and squeaky zone…. 

I have many friends that use their rig for music festivals and such and have NASCAR momentos or sell “Funnel cakes”…he put 3 kids through college and paid for an MS, PhD and MD…so it was “profitable”…

IF that is the case, then one’s attorney should advise…and not here….

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

There is a plethora of information.

https://community.goodsam.com/t5/technical-issues/ca-emission-control-starting-2024/m-p/3598591#M367655

https://becarbcompliant.com/

Basically, if you have a rig, as best I can read….and INTERPRET…with an OBD port…then your ECM “is the snitch”.  That is the port that the Cummins and other diagnostic tools plugs into.  THEN, if all the parameters are fine and no flags or error codes….DRIVE ON.

For those NOT in a state with Annual Testing….this is the Drill.

Take your vehicle (car, truck, whatever) into a Dealer or a Certified Inspection dealer.  Plug in….read….there is a printout.  Then, in NC, they do a multipoint vehicle inspection that also looks at tire tread depth and, maybe, brake pad thickness.  All lights must also work.  Heavy tinting of side and rear windows must have a specific “refractive” test and comply with the State (Fed) standard. 

OK….assume all but say ONE of you knows about the 3 - 5 Drive Cycle “logging” that must be compliant or OK.  Many young geniuses would kill the power to the ECM if they had “tuned” it or modified it….OR if that blankety blanket catalytic convert is plugged or gone or you need a $500 sensor and our check engine light has been on for a year.  SO….kill and drain power.  All CODES GONE….no ENGINE POLLUTING light.  Drive in.  Pass….drive on.

OPPS…the EPA has a “Drive Cycle” test.  This is a diagnostic routine that usually takes 5 - 10 miles and every component is tested….leaky fuel cap or bad O2 sensor down to the tiniest little sensor.  THEN the KILLER.  The OBD will NOT test unless the “Passed THREE TIMES” parameter is OK.  In other words…no more KILL and TEST.  Cars that had a dead battery or were in a body shop for extensive repairs and the battery pulled are an example.  Buddy had one.  He could not, due to health, drive the stick.  We carried it in.  NO CAN TEST.  We drove for maybe 2 hours.  Stopped for 10 minutes….then restarted. Did 5 of these.  There is a “time delay” where just turning OFF…restart…doesn’t count.  Once we had recorded 3 “OK Drive Cycles”, back…passed.

SO…same deal.  If the ECM snitches….issues… you have to correct.  Pure and simple.

NOW….do they have “exhaust pipe analyzers” for older ones??.  Don’t know.  I do KNOW, from way too many years of hotrodding that I would have to restore an EGR or take out a plate or whatever….shade tree fixes…to got more GET UP AND GO.  This stopped with the OBD

NC has a funky rule.  Over 25 years…no OBD testing….even though there is the PORT.  COOL.  OPPS, if you pulled off the Catalytic converter….NOPE.  ALL emissions equipment MUST be in place…and folks have gone to salvage yards and bought converters that were junk…but that was the law.

NOW…if you read about FLEETS….OMG.  You can NOT have an engine older than 2009/10.  So, rig still good….put a NEW mill in it….and it MUST meet the ECM requirements….in other words….no cheating and changing the ECM.  The tester checks to see if the parameters have been altered…

That’s about it.  The rest is….no pass…sell…preferably out of state.  Sell in state.  You (buyer and seller) sign a notarized statement that old Bertha done failed….and the new owner can NOT operate until fixed.

NOW….As requested….lets NOT bash or pontificate the state.  Their laws….you comply or move.  The Good Sam article was posted with the intent of being a good technical resource.  IF there are comments that violate the Staff’s intent….then disregard and DO NOT respond to any “well, if it were me…” quotes.

This is important to our CA members or the members that might become CA residents.  

I have NOT READ…and this is NOT A GUARANTEE…that visitors will be impacted.  Now….who is a visitor?  A person that takes their MH on assignment for a week, month or year?  NO IDEA….  ASSUME  a causal traveler that drives up 101 or an interstate will not be stopped.  BUT, if old Bertha is belching black smoke or when you start off from idling at a stoplight….there is a black nuclear sized mushroom a few seconds down the highway….one may be at risk…

That’ my take….Hopefully , we will become more informed….

Thanks Tom.

One reason I waited a few days before starting this post was I was waiting for an email back from CARB, answering a couple questions.   One of the questions I asked, was if coach was registered outside of CA, what was required to drive into state.  Here is his response:

"Only CA registered RV/Motorhomes that are over 14,0001 lbs GVWR and not gasoline or zero emissions vehicles are subject to the Clean Truck Check Regulation.   So they will not need to do anything"

So no, you out of state folks are welcome anytime!  lol

Now if, like you say "ol Bertha" is smoking like a freighter, it's likely a highway patrol will pull you over.  But that's for any vehicle, large or small.   They use to have a phone # you could call to report exhaust smoke from vehicles.  1 xxx CUT-SMOG,  or something like that.  I don't know if they still have that.

Edited by windsorbill06
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, windsorbill06 said:

I have several friends with older ford and chevy diesel pickups.  1999-2005.    None are having issues getting them registered.  Now if they go to sell them, I don't know.

Should have specified, F450 and above, commercial use. Loads of flatbeds and dump trucks 

Edited by JDCrow
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Well... I don't have a dog in the fight, as I'm in TN with no plans to ever live in CA.  Just curious what standards my 2003 model, built in 2002 would have to meet in order to comply???

I was told as long as the engine hasn't been modified, and it doesn't emit black smoke, you'd be just fine.   I'll know first hand what is required come this fall.

3 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Should have specified, F450 and above, commercial use. Loads of flatbeds and dump trucks 

Yep.  Commercial use is a different animal.  The way things were written over the past few years was confusing. Lots of wrong information being given. (I'm actually still seeing it over on IRV2)  CARB communications has been poor towards the private RV community.    Just last week, I had our 2014 Honda CRV smogged so I could register it.  The owner of the shop didn't have a clue about large diesel  private motorhomes, even though he was doing commercial charter buses.   Told me I was exempt.   I showed him that link I posted earlier,  and it stopped him in his tracks.  

Edited by windsorbill06

Well.... I live in CA and literally just went through this 2 weeks ago. As of now, All I had to do was register at https://cleantruckcheck.arb.ca.gov by providing my info along with the license plate number, VIN and pay a $30.00 fee. Then I was able to download my Carb cert. 1 week later CA DMV released my tags. 

18 minutes ago, Dale H said:

Well.... I live in CA and literally just went through this 2 weeks ago. As of now, All I had to do was register at https://cleantruckcheck.arb.ca.gov by providing my info along with the license plate number, VIN and pay a $30.00 fee. Then I was able to download my Carb cert. 1 week later CA DMV released my tags. 

So it’s just an information/money grab? No vehicle testing? 

2 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

So it’s just an information/money grab? No vehicle testing? 

As of today... YES.

Back story to my experience on this. Not to make this political again but I paid my fees of $457 online with the CA DMV. No where on my renewal was anything stated about this. It just said pay the fees. 2 weeks later I receive an email from DMV stating I submitted an incomplete renewal for a non carb compliant vehicle and I must call CARB or visit their website. When I called, I was # 542 in queue so I hung up. Called DMV and gave the an a$! chewing since my reg expired in just a few days. (Just to make me feel better) Their response is we are sorry but that's what you have to do. When I figured out how to create my account, and got logged in and everything, my tags were held for fees due for 2023. The 2024 fees were due in November so I just paid them both. $30 each plus a $1.29 processing fee. 

2 hours ago, Dale H said:

As of today... YES.

Back story to my experience on this. Not to make this political again but I paid my fees of $457 online with the CA DMV. No where on my renewal was anything stated about this. It just said pay the fees. 2 weeks later I receive an email from DMV stating I submitted an incomplete renewal for a non carb compliant vehicle and I must call CARB or visit their website. When I called, I was # 542 in queue so I hung up. Called DMV and gave the an a$! chewing since my reg expired in just a few days. (Just to make me feel better) Their response is we are sorry but that's what you have to do. When I figured out how to create my account, and got logged in and everything, my tags were held for fees due for 2023. The 2024 fees were due in November so I just paid them both. $30 each plus a $1.29 processing fee. 

We're in the transition stages still.  Pay the 2023 and 2024 CARB fee and you're compliant, as far as DMV is concerned.   Like I mentioned earlier, communications from CARB is really lacking.    

Starting this October, as vehicles need to register, they will have to have the smog test.  What is involved, I have no idea.   I think alot depends on the age or your coach.   My registration is  due in November.  I believe I'll get  notified  from CARB telling me a smog test is required.     Not sure if DMV will notify us or not.  (apparently they didn't with you)

2 minutes ago, windsorbill06 said:

Starting this October, as vehicles need to register, they will have to have the smog test.   . . . . My registration is  due in November.  I believe I'll get  notified  from CARB telling me a smog test is required.     Not sure if DMV will notify us or not.  (apparently they didn't with you)

What if you pay up early, like September?  It's a stretch but you might pick up a year while they sort out the process.

- bob

2 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

What if you pay up early, like September?  It's a stretch but you might pick up a year while they sort out the process.

- bob

I wish I could. 

I've paid the 2024 fees already.   @Dale H Dale hadn't paid that fee, and that's why his was rejected--but too early to require him to smog his coach.   Once CARB tells DMV we need a smog, (it's actually already in the DMV system),  that will be another hurdle.   So for example, If I didn't already pay the fee, come november, I would have 2 hurdles to jump.

I guess anything can happen and they can postpone any physical smog check requirements.  But I think that's unlikely.   

1 hour ago, Dale H said:

@windsorbill06 The sad thing was I was never notified by CARB or DMV. That's what had me pissed off. Had I known, I would of handled months before not days before tags were due.

I was not notified either. Last August I got my registration at AAA with no problem.

This morning I went on DMV's website and paid my registration.  Even though it is not due until August, the site let me do it and there was no sign of having to register with CARB.  I did this early enough so that if there is a problem, I can solve it; so we'll see. 

I wonder if my engine being manufactured in September of 2000 makes any difference. There are zero emissions devices on it.

As a side note, but not to hijack the thread, when I had a new lift pump installed a few months ago my tech told me there was a software update available and that it was for emissions - I passed on it. I wonder if that's where this new program is headed for the older engines.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dale H said:

@windsorbill06 The sad thing was I was never notified by CARB or DMV. That's what had me pissed off. Had I known, I would of handled months before not days before tags were due.

Yea.  I hear ya.  It would piss me off too.

51 minutes ago, VinceB said:

I was not notified either. Last August I got my registration at AAA with no problem.

This morning I went on DMV's website and paid my registration.  Even though it is not due until August, the site let me do it and there was no sign of having to register with CARB.  I did this early enough so that if there is a problem, I can solve it; so we'll see. 

I wonder if my engine being manufactured in September of 2000 makes any difference. There are zero emissions devices on it.

As a side note, but not to hijack the thread, when I had a new lift pump installed a few months ago my tech told me there was a software update available and that it was for emissions - I passed on it. I wonder if that's where this new program is headed for the older engines.

I hope you keep us posted on what they come back with, my uneducated guess is DMV will kick it back  like @Dale H, but you never know.    This year seems to be a learning curve for everyone involved.  

Edited by windsorbill06
  • Like 1

We won't be far behind here in Oregon. They wait and see what Cal and Wa do then fall in line. We currently do not have DEQ Smog in my town as its to small at the moment, but they are talking about it. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, VinceB said:

Smart move.
I would definitely pass on any ECU updates.  They'll likely destroy your power and/or fuel economy. 😧

• Like 1

In AZ I have to smog my coach each year. The standard here is not a stringent as CA. I read the link Bill provided. They talk about the fee, and that you can smog your vehicle up to 3 months before the registration is due. Nowhere was it stated how/what was tested. A little more research brought up the standards. Two things; the emissions equipment has to be intact and an opacity test is required. The opacity standard is below. 

For Bill’s Windsor the opacity limit is 30% (By the way, there is no plugging into the J-1939 port. Cars use the drive cycle test via OBD-II, but not our coaches.) The opacity test involves pushing the throttle to the floor and holding it there for 3-5 seconds. At least that is how AZ does it. It is repeated a second time. As long as you are below 30% in Ca, you pass. The AZ standard for my 2008 coach is 40%.

I have been doing this test for years, with my test results between 1.2% and 8.1%.  Last year was 3.7%.  My results do not trend up nor down, they just bounce around from year to year, but all substantially below the standard. Next week I go in for this year’s test.  I don’t even worry about it.

So, for all of you CA folks, I see no reason to get excited about this required testing.  As long as your engine is in good condition, you should be on the low end of the scale.

IMG_3169.jpeg

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/emissions-compliance-testing-requirements-clean-truck-check

How must my vehicles be tested?

The testing requirements depend on whether your vehicle/engine is equipped with OBD or not.

OBD equipped vehicles (2013 and newer diesel engines, and 2018 or newer alternative fuel engines) are required to undergo a scan of the engines’ OBD data using a CARB-certified OBD test device.

Non-OBD vehicles (2012 and older diesel engines, or 2017 and older alternative fuel engines) are required to undergo a smoke opacity test and a visual inspection of the vehicle’s emissions control equipment, referred to in this program as the Vehicle Emissions Control Equipment Inspection. The smoke opacity test is the same SAE J1667 snap acceleration smoke inspection used to comply with CARB’s Periodic Smoke Inspection Program (PSIP). Note that alternative fuel non-OBD vehicles are only required to complete the visual inspection and are not subject to the smoke opacity test requirement.

OK….now, we’re making progress.

The J-1939 “Diagnostic” port is not, IIUC, the same as the more conventional OBD (or II) PORT used on most passenger cars.  So, unless the rig has (2013 and newer) the OBD Port, then the conventional “opacity” test will be used as well as the “make sure OEM equipment is in place”.

It would also appear, that for the interim, the same “general” standards of the original CLEAN TRUCK ACT are being used…except that since these are NON COMMERCIAL or PERSONAL Vehicles, the “must swap and update” requirements of the Fleet version of the Clean Truck Act do NOT apply…

Comments or corrections???

9 hours ago, Happycarz said:

In AZ I have to smog my coach each year. The standard here is not a stringent as CA. I read the link Bill provided. They talk about the fee, and that you can smog your vehicle up to 3 months before the registration is due. Nowhere was it stated how/what was tested. A little more research brought up the standards. Two things; the emissions equipment has to be intact and an opacity test is required. The opacity standard is below. 

For Bill’s Windsor the opacity limit is 30% (By the way, there is no plugging into the J-1939 port. Cars use the drive cycle test via OBD-II, but not our coaches.) The opacity test involves pushing the throttle to the floor and holding it there for 3-5 seconds. At least that is how AZ does it. It is repeated a second time. As long as you are below 30% in Ca, you pass. The AZ standard for my 2008 coach is 40%.

I have been doing this test for years, with my test results between 1.2% and 8.1%.  Last year was 3.7%.  My results do not trend up nor down, they just bounce around from year to year, but all substantially below the standard. Next week I go in for this year’s test.  I don’t even worry about it.

So, for all of you CA folks, I see no reason to get excited about this required testing.  As long as your engine is in good condition, you should be on the low end of the scale.

IMG_3169.jpeg

Thanks @HappycarzHarry for the chart.   Where do see the 30% for us in your chart?   I read it as 20% for my '05 engine, clear back to 1997.

Bill , my mistake. Yes, it is 20%.  From my perspective you should be fine with the 20% opacity test.

Over the last 30 years here in AZ the manner of testing the opacity readings has changed. We have centralized testing, where a company builds the facility and has a state contract for X amount of years. 

My first test consisted of driving on rollers with a chain hooked to the frame to keep from lurching of the rollers. The inspector would drive the coach in 3rd gear wide open while running the opacity test.  That test morphed into having me drive it in 3rd gear wide open with no chain attached.

Today it is the snap test with me flooring it in neutral, while watching the instructions on the monitor. The monitor will tell me when to return to idle.  When I do the snap test, I push the throttle slowly all the way to the floor, taking about two seconds. I just don’t stab it. This lets the turbo spool up, instead of over fueling it and then letting the turbo catch up. I’m just trying to minimize the puff of smoke when pushing the throttle to the floor.  The instructions on the monitor say to hold the throttle to the floor. It does not say to do it quickly. I have never been challenged by the inspectors, as I don’t think they realize the way I do it. I could stab it to see the results, but I’ll just stick to my procedure.

I believe CA has decentralized smog test, as many states do.  In some states a repair shop is doing the testing.  If your vehicle fails, they have a shot at doing the repair.  Hmmm. Back in the 1970’s, AZ saw this as a conflict of interest and decided to separate testing and repairing, when instituting our emission testing program.

Tom, are you saying that diesel motorhome built 2013 and newer now have OBD-II? I’m a bit confused.

• Like 2

Just for fun I went to Meta AI to see if it could shed some light on the subject - interesting result...  Google's Gemini went down the exact same path.

You

what are the smog requirements to register a 2001 diesel motorhome in california?

Meta AI

Here are the smog requirements to register a 2001 diesel motorhome in California ¹:

• Diesel-powered vehicle is a 1997 and older year model: You are not required to get a smog inspection for a 2001 diesel motorhome.
  • Gross Vehicle Weight of more than 14,000 pounds: If your vehicle weighs more than 14,000 pounds, you are not required to get a smog inspection.
  • Smog inspections are required: Smog inspections are required when you register or renew registration for a vehicle in California.
  • Find a DMV-authorized smog check station: You can find a DMV-authorized smog check station near you or visit (link unavailable)
  • Check your zip code: Check your zip code at (link unavailable) to see if you need a smog inspection when you renew your registration.

2001 diesel motorhome smog requirements for california registration

You

that is not correct. there are new testing requirements as well as requirements to pay a $30 carb fee

Meta AI

Here are the smog requirements to register a 2001 diesel motorhome in California ¹ ²:

• Clean Truck Check: The Clean Truck Check program applies to most diesel and alternative fueled heavy-duty vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) over 14,000 pounds operating in California, including buses, motorhomes and agricultural vehicles.
  • Emissions Compliance Testing Requirements: Emissions compliance testing will become effective October 1, 2024. All vehicle compliance deadlines on or after January 1, 2025, will require a passing vehicle emissions compliance test as part of the compliance demonstration.
  • CARB Fee: There is a $30 fee for CARB.
  • How often will my vehicles require an emissions compliance test?: Nearly all vehicles are required to undergo twice per year testing with results submitted to CARB. On-road agricultural vehicles and California-registered motorhomes will only be required to undergo testing once per year.
  • How must my vehicles be tested?: The testing requirements depend on whether your vehicle/engine is equipped with OBD or not. OBD equipped vehicles (2013 and newer diesel engines, and 2018 or newer alternative fuel engines) are required to undergo a scan of the engines’ OBD data using a CARB-certified OBD test device. Non-OBD vehicles (2012 and older diesel engines, or 2017 and older alternative fuel engines) are required to undergo a smoke opacity test and a visual inspection of the vehicle’s emissions control equipment.

new testing requirements and carb fee for 2001 diesel motorhome registration in California

• Haha 1