UPDATE CARB (California Air Resource Board) as applies to Motorhome

1 hour ago, VinceB said:

Just for fun I went to Meta AI to see if it could shed some light on the subject - interesting result...  Google's Gemini went down the exact same path.

You

what are the smog requirements to register a 2001 diesel motorhome in california?

Meta AI

Here are the smog requirements to register a 2001 diesel motorhome in California ¹:

• Diesel-powered vehicle is a 1997 and older year model: You are not required to get a smog inspection for a 2001 diesel motorhome.
  • Gross Vehicle Weight of more than 14,000 pounds: If your vehicle weighs more than 14,000 pounds, you are not required to get a smog inspection.
  • Smog inspections are required: Smog inspections are required when you register or renew registration for a vehicle in California.
  • Find a DMV-authorized smog check station: You can find a DMV-authorized smog check station near you or visit (link unavailable)
  • Check your zip code: Check your zip code at (link unavailable) to see if you need a smog inspection when you renew your registration.

2001 diesel motorhome smog requirements for california registration

You

that is not correct. there are new testing requirements as well as requirements to pay a $30 carb fee

Meta AI

Here are the smog requirements to register a 2001 diesel motorhome in California ¹ ²:

• Clean Truck Check: The Clean Truck Check program applies to most diesel and alternative fueled heavy-duty vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) over 14,000 pounds operating in California, including buses, motorhomes and agricultural vehicles.
  • Emissions Compliance Testing Requirements: Emissions compliance testing will become effective October 1, 2024. All vehicle compliance deadlines on or after January 1, 2025, will require a passing vehicle emissions compliance test as part of the compliance demonstration.
  • CARB Fee: There is a $30 fee for CARB.
  • How often will my vehicles require an emissions compliance test?: Nearly all vehicles are required to undergo twice per year testing with results submitted to CARB. On-road agricultural vehicles and California-registered motorhomes will only be required to undergo testing once per year.
  • How must my vehicles be tested?: The testing requirements depend on whether your vehicle/engine is equipped with OBD or not. OBD equipped vehicles (2013 and newer diesel engines, and 2018 or newer alternative fuel engines) are required to undergo a scan of the engines’ OBD data using a CARB-certified OBD test device. Non-OBD vehicles (2012 and older diesel engines, or 2017 and older alternative fuel engines) are required to undergo a smoke opacity test and a visual inspection of the vehicle’s emissions control equipment.

new testing requirements and carb fee for 2001 diesel motorhome registration in California

Vince @VinceB  

Interesting they both went down same path. 

so, from reading that, would you agree that we would NOT have to do a smoke opacity test until we had to register in 2025?  Mine renews in November   
(the October 1, 2024 effective date originally had me thinking I had to do it this year.  That may be wrong)

harry   Thanks for the crib notes regarding testing  

This may be coming to Virginia, too.  In 2021 the governor signed a law that says we will follow California’s CARB mandates.  I believe this also applies to us being all EV by 2035 or something like that.  I know “they” have tried to get this repealed, but it must be approved by the General Assembly first.  

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, dandick66 said:

This may be coming to Virginia, too.  In 2021 the governor signed a law that says we will follow California’s CARB mandates.  I believe this also applies to us being all EV by 2035 or something like that.  I know “they” have tried to get this repealed, but it must be approved by the General Assembly first.  

OK….THAT’S ONCE….Keeping this on subject and not letting this wander.  In case one is NOT familiar with the “farmer - bride - horse” joke with the punchline…THAT’S ONE (ONCE)…..click here……

https://www.math.ttu.edu/~pearce/jokes1/joke-196.html

NOW that we are past that…the “WE” and “THEY” and such comments are not permitted….but since….it was brought up and opened the door or an opportunity to “teach”…  LOL…here goes.  

There are several states, mostly known as the west coast and northeast coast coalition that have adopted some of the CA Regulations.  Sort of a patchwork quilt approach.  Doing a little googling, plus following this closely as a contributor to a “off sports topic’ local blog where EV’s are discussed…same rules…facts and not innuendo nor comments on politics or the goings on of any legislative body…..

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/our-work/programs/advanced-clean-cars-program/states-have-adopted-californias-vehicle-regulations

This is a summary, that California publishes….really, from an informational standpoint, a pretty good tool.  If you click on a state, there is a summary or recap of what legislation that state has enacted.  Here is a screenshot of VA.

NOW.., it gets a bit more complicated…  I worked for a “fuel systems” company….carburetors and fuel injectors for many years ….primarily in the 80’s.  There were two distinct and different carburetors that we made.  One was the “49 States” and the other was “California”.  Same basic carburetor, but a few minor internal orifice changes.  We ran computer controlled testing and calibration stands, in a room that was more environmentally controlled than wherever the Smithsonian stores the Constitution…. So, there were different air fuel ratios and tighter limits on these units.  

As time progressed, it was necessary to add external, electromechanical devices, to comply with the CA standards…as they became tighter.

If you ever spent time looking at cars and MSRP stickers over the years, one of the first line items was “49 States” or California Emission line.

Bottom line….Fuel Injection and ECM fine tuning now are used for air fuel mixtures and also “limits” and self monitoring.  

CA CARB standards are now more complex and a “car” that is made for shipment into California, still has to meet more stringent air fuel ratios plus several other emissions parameters.  I found, if one is interested….a very easy to use snd comprehensive, interactive tool….courtesy of the US Government 

https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/california-standards

Basically….this is a two fold approach.  One….set standards that are commensurate with what CARB dictates….and also, enact legislation that restricts the sale of vehicles that may be 100% fosssil fueled or a hybrid that has a clean energy…electric, propulsion system.

If you use the above link, it is an overlay of what states are “following”…and that may or may not be 100% “LOCKSTEP” the “California emission standards” as well as adopting regulations that will impact the future sales and availability of fossil fueled vehicles.

OK….now that makes it clear….Use either of the links…but the California “Heavy Duty Advanced Clean Truck” standards are the subject of this topic.

If you click on California….then they are being phased in….  Then click on your state or any state and look at the “DATE”. THEN…being aware….does this state include “privately owned heavy duty vechicles…presumably “Motor Homes”….

AND in closing….an update….as to the future of 

On April 12, 2023, EPA announced a proposal to revise existing standards to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from heavy-duty vehicles in model year 2027 and set new, more stringent standards for model years 2028 through 2032 ("Phase 3 Greenhouse Gas")

IMG_1274.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, windsorbill06 said:

@Doug HoeghAny chance you can post that as a PDF, I can't seem to open it.

TRY THIS NEXT TIME.  Click on the link.  It should open or go to your downloads (Windows 10 for me).  Then I opened it.  Then I printed it as a PDF...

Colorado Smog Emissions testing Doug Hoegh.pdf

34 minutes ago, Doug Hoegh said:

Tom My bad.  Here is my Colorado Emission Report in pdf.  As mentioned earlier we have to do this yearly in order to purchase yearly tags.  I have a favorite garage that takes first come first serve and it is an easy exercise, other than the $125.00.

Colorado Emission test.pdf 1.14 MB · 5 downloads

Thanks Doug for sharing.  So between you and Harry, it looks like <5% opacity is easily obtainable with everything functioning.

1 minute ago, windsorbill06 said:

Thanks Doug for sharing.  So between you and Harry, it looks like <5% opacity is easily obtainable with everything functioning.

I think that is accurate.  My coach engine is totally stock with the EGR system only. (No slobber tube)  I have always seen these very low opacity numbers in all the tests I have passed over the years. 

21 hours ago, windsorbill06 said:

Vince @VinceB  

Interesting they both went down same path. 

so, from reading that, would you agree that we would NOT have to do a smoke opacity test until we had to register in 2025?  Mine renews in November   
(the October 1, 2024 effective date originally had me thinking I had to do it this year.  That may be wrong)

It's more than 1 governmental agency involved - so I just can't be sure at this point.  If I get my registration with no strings attached in a fews days/weeks then I will guess so.

On 5/25/2024 at 9:11 PM, Happycarz said:

For Bill’s Windsor the opacity limit is 30% (By the way, there is no plugging into the J-1939 port. Cars use the drive cycle test via OBD-II, but not our coaches.) The opacity test involves pushing the throttle to the floor and holding it there for 3-5 seconds. At least that is how AZ does it. It is repeated a second time. As long as you are below 30% in Ca, you pass. The AZ standard for my 2008 coach is 40%.

3-5 Seconds at full throttle not under a load?  It must be hitting the rev limiter. That can't be good for our engines.

Sounds like a bad idea, but this is an acceptable practice with Cummins.

The first time a diesel tech told me that I could hold it to the floor without damaging the engine, I couldn’t believe it.  Then I did my research. The Cummins ISL is governed at 2100 RPM or 2200 RPM, depending on CPL number.  There is no problem running it up against the governor. I wouldn’t do that with a cold engine, but at operating temperature it is fine.

When I had my first motorhome with a Cummins engine, I went to an RV show and talked to Cummins at their booth. I was concerned about over revving my 8.3 engine using the PacBrake down 6% grades.  He said the trans would upshift around 2600 RPM to protect the engine. And that the engines are tested to 3000 RPM. I don’t know if I buy the 3000 RPM story. But, there is no way to get past 2650 RPM. 

My Camelot will upshift at 2650 RPM, no matter gear is selected. After that happens once, you’ll pay attention to the tachometer on the downgrades!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Happycarz said:

My Camelot will upshift at 2650 RPM, no matter gear is selected. After that happens once, you’ll pay attention to the tachometer on the downgrades!

Except 6th 😁!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Happycarz said:

Sounds like a bad idea, but this is an acceptable practice with Cummins.

The first time a diesel tech told me that I could hold it to the floor without damaging the engine, I couldn’t believe it.  Then I did my research. The Cummins ISL is governed at 2100 RPM or 2200 RPM, depending on CPL number.  There is no problem running it up against the governor. I wouldn’t do that with a cold engine, but at operating temperature it is fine.

When I had my first motorhome with a Cummins engine, I went to an RV show and talked to Cummins at their booth. I was concerned about over revving my 8.3 engine using the PacBrake down 6% grades.  He said the trans would upshift around 2600 RPM to protect the engine. And that the engines are tested to 3000 RPM. I don’t know if I buy the 3000 RPM story. But, there is no way to get past 2650 RPM. 

Comment…. Yes…the UPSHIFT is built into the Allison TCM and also chit chats with the Cummins ECM.  Allison told me to “let it do its trick”…as in it was programmed not to hurt itself…no matter how hard you try.

I now watch the Tach when climbing or descending.  I don’t think it has ever upshifted on me but once….and that was on I70, west of Denver going down the Eisenhower pass.  I stopped at the top, or pulled over and used or manually put it in 1st.  Eventually, Allison said NO…and upshifted to 2nd….I tapped my service brakes maybe 4 or 5 times and ended up, at the bottom in second….OK…memory is fuzzy….but 3rd was tops and my brakes were never even heated up a little.  That was with the standard ISL exhaust brake and NOT the Jacob’s one…

• Like 1

I’m in California and I must of got lucky or something was missed but I just renewed my registration on my coach and didn’t have to do anything besides pay my registration fees. 🙏🏼

• Like 1

On 5/26/2024 at 8:48 AM, Happycarz said:

Today it is the snap test with me flooring it in neutral, while watching the instructions on the monitor. The monitor will tell me when to return to idle.  When I do the snap test, I push the throttle slowly all the way to the floor, taking about two seconds. I just don’t stab it. This lets the turbo spool up, instead of over fueling it and then letting the turbo catch up. I’m just trying to minimize the puff of smoke when pushing the throttle to the floor.  The instructions on the monitor say to hold the throttle to the floor. It does not say to do it quickly. I have never been challenged by the inspectors, as I don’t think they realize the way I do it. I could stab it to see the results, but I’ll just stick to my procedure.

I also live in AZ and the smog test is only required in Maricopa County which is covers Phoenix and surrounding areas.  I am in Surprise, northwest of Phoenix and have a local test facility.  If my address was about 35 miles northwest, I wouldn't need it. I never tried to do a slow acceleration but may change my method based on Harry's comments. I messed up when moving here 12 years ago and registered the rig in August which is my re-registration date. Thus, I can't get a smog test before June 2 or 90 days prior to expiration. I messed up one year and went in on June 1 and couldn't get a new tag.  Had to retest the next day and tech said, weren't you just here. 😒  I haven't compared the data.  However, after getting the test everything is done online and easy to complete.  

1 hour ago, Larry Laursen said:

I also live in AZ and the smog test is only required in Maricopa County which is covers Phoenix and surrounding areas.  I am in Surprise, northwest of Phoenix and have a local test facility.  If my address was about 35 miles northwest, I wouldn't need it. I never tried to do a slow acceleration but may change my method based on Harry's comments. I messed up when moving here 12 years ago and registered the rig in August which is my re-registration date. Thus, I can't get a smog test before June 2 or 90 days prior to expiration. I messed up one year and went in on June 1 and couldn't get a new tag.  Had to retest the next day and tech said, weren't you just here. 😒  I haven't compared the data.  However, after getting the test everything is done online and easy to complete.  

This is interesting in arizona.  It's county specific, apparently.  I have a good friend that owns property in Lake Havasu and has registered his RV there since he bought it in 2016.  He does not have to smog it.  Had me a little confused when Harry mentioned that he had been smogging his for years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, windsorbill06 said:

This is interesting in arizona.  It's county specific, apparently.  I have a good friend that owns property in Lake Havasu and has registered his RV there since he bought it in 2016.  He does not have to smog it.  Had me a little confused when Harry mentioned that he had been smogging his for years.

IIRC NV is also county specific.

Guys,

This was originally about CARB as in California.  The discussion of the other states is great...but we need to focus on the new rules in CA.  Since many folks have commented...then you can PM if you are in another state and keep the exchange going...

Also...  Keep it top level...  Politicians will be politicians and we ain't gonna change, either way, that here...

Thanks...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CraigMac said:

I’m in California and I must of got lucky or something was missed but I just renewed my registration on my coach and didn’t have to do anything besides pay my registration fees. 🙏🏼

@CraigMacSo you have tags in hand,  is that correct?

By mail, or did you go to DMV or AAA?

Many states, or counties, follow CARB regulations in totality or just use part of the regs.  Why write a new set of rules when you can copy and paste.

Off subject: Only Phoenix metro and Tucson metro have emissions testing.

CARB regs are followed in Maricopa county (Phoenix) for windshield washer fluid also.  No methanol allowed. I had to buy -20 windshield washer fluid in Quartzsite for my water/meth injection system. 

Like I said before, folks in CA should have no problem with their pre DEF coaches as long as the engine has been kept up.  

17 hours ago, CraigMac said:

I did it through the mail with DMV. 

Do you have your tags?

I did mine online and received the letter. Once I registered with CARB, I picked my tags up at AAA . I just didnt want to wait a month to get them by mail.

1 hour ago, Dale H said:

Do you have your tags?

I did mine online and received the letter. Once I registered with CARB, I picked my tags up at AAA . I just didnt want to wait a month to get them by mail.

Yes sir I received them. Somebody at the DMV must of missed something processing my paperwork. 

I paid my fee and received a letter saying CARB had a dmv hold on my rig. Had to register in the clean truck check program and pay $30 fee; then fight with dmv to release my tags. Finally got them. 

next step this fall is annual smoke test which trucking fleets have been doing for years. No big deal just a snap idle test with an opacity meter. 

I’ve been managing trucking fleets for the past thirty years and since the smoke test came along I’ve never had a truck fail. 

These posts have been very informative.  Thanks everyone for staying 'straight and level'.

The only suggestion I can make to improve it, is to tell us what month your registration is/was due.   I have a friend in Orange County, and he received his tags without any issue and was not registered with CARB.   His registration renewed in February.  I'm not due until November.

It seems like March/April/May is when DMV 'drew the line in the sand', so to speak,  and started rejecting registrations for CARB compliance.