UPDATE CARB (California Air Resource Board) as applies to Motorhome

30 minutes ago, windsorbill06 said:

These posts have been very informative.  Thanks everyone for staying 'straight and level'.

The only suggestion I can make to improve it, is to tell us what month your registration is/was due.   I have a friend in Orange County, and he received his tags without any issue and was not registered with CARB.   His registration renewed in February.  I'm not due until November.

It seems like March/April/May is when DMV 'drew the line in the sand', so to speak,  and started rejecting registrations for CARB compliance. 

Mine was due end of April and I didn’t need to deal with CARB. 

On 5/25/2024 at 1:01 PM, VinceB said:

I was not notified either. Last August I got my registration at AAA with no problem.

This morning I went on DMV's website and paid my registration.  Even though it is not due until August, the site let me do it and there was no sign of having to register with CARB.  I did this early enough so that if there is a problem, I can solve it; so we'll see. 

I wonder if my engine being manufactured in September of 2000 makes any difference. There are zero emissions devices on it.

UPDATE:

I received my renewal notice from DMV in today's mail.  There is no indication that I need a smog check.  See below.

So now I wait to see if my tags get here soon.

delete.thumb.jpg.66be4c7cdbd46e9b2e0d900e816bca4c.jpg

You won't see it on your renewal; instead of them sending your tags they will send a letter that says CARB has a hold on your registration. My coach has a 2003 CAT C12 with no emissions on it and that happened to me.

Do yourself a favor and register on the Clean Truck Check webpage and pay your $30. That way you won't have to do it on the back end and hold up your tags (like I did).

There is no getting around it; in the end we will pay CARB $30 annually and have to do an opacity test annually. The good news is that's all we need to do. Heavy duty trucking fleets for hire have not been able to run these engines for years but pleasure use motor homes are exempt.

Just trying to help people avoid the frustration that I went through along with taking a trip with tags that were expired.

Posted (edited)

Vince,

My wife opens our mail.  When we get a CAR (or my pick up truck) registration renewal, she pays it.  I don't even see it.    If it has the big SMOG CHECK REQUIRED, highlighted in YELLOW, it goes on my desk.  lol    I'm in charge of getting the vehicles smogged.

I don't think DMV is going the notify us RV owners that a smog is due like a car /other vehicle owners.    Will you fall between the cracks, I guess it's possible, but pretty unlikely.++

You're not due until mid august, so you have time.  Beside, this year you only have to register with CARB and pay the 2023-24 fees.   If you have to do the opacity test (likely next year), that may be a problem if you wait too close to registration deadline.  DMV publishes late fees right on the registration and they don't give a rats behind what the excuse is. 

Keep us posted.....

Edited by windsorbill06

15 hours ago, SteveD said:

You won't see it on your renewal; instead of them sending your tags they will send a letter that says CARB has a hold on your registration. My coach has a 2003 CAT C12 with no emissions on it and that happened to me.

Do yourself a favor and register on the Clean Truck Check webpage and pay your $30. That way you won't have to do it on the back end and hold up your tags (like I did).

There is no getting around it; in the end we will pay CARB $30 annually and have to do an opacity test annually. The good news is that's all we need to do. Heavy duty trucking fleets for hire have not been able to run these engines for years but pleasure use motor homes are exempt.

Just trying to help people avoid the frustration that I went through along with taking a trip with tags that were expired.

@SteveD is absolutely correct. My renewal notice looked exactly the same. Then I got the letter and the headache. Do yourselves a favor, if you are in CA, just go register now and pay any fees due. My bet is DMV will never send a smog required notice. I just received the following email from CARB a few minutes ago. My bet is I will get this every month and 1 day it will tell me I will have to test.

Dear Dale Hill,

Below is a summary of the current status of your Dale Hill CTC-VIS account:

1. Vehicle Compliance Certification Status:
a. 0 Vehicle Compliance Certification(s) were issued to your entity in the last month.
b. In total, 1 vehicle(s) are currently compliant out of 1 registered in your entity.
c. 0 of the Vehicle Compliance Certificate(s) will expire within next 90 days.

2. Compliance Fee:
a. Fees Due Soon: 0 vehicle(s) are with fee(s) due within next 90 days.
b. Fees Past Due: 0 vehicle(s) are with fee(s) already past due.
c. Expired Fee: There are 0 expired fee(s) in your Entity.

3. Periodic Test:
a. Vehicles with Test(s) Due: 0 vehicle(s) have entered their test submission period, and the test(s) will be due within next 90 days.
b. Tests Past Due: 0 vehicle(s) are with test(s) already past due.

4. Enforcement Hold:
0 vehicle(s) are currently under hold due to outstanding CARB Enforcement actions.

The status may vary from day to day, for more details and the latest status, please visit your account at https://cleantruckcheck.arb.ca.gov.

Please review the status of your vehicles to ensure that all your vehicles are compliant with the Clean Truck Check program. If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact CARB at HDIM@arb.ca.gov.

Clean Truck Check Team
California Air Resources Board
hdim@arb.ca.gov

Yeah... I probably should have paid the $30 fee(s) from the get go. What's another $60 in the grand scheme of motorhome ownership.

So now it will go one of 2 ways - either I get the tags in the mail soon or I don't. If I don't get them, I'll go to the CARB site and pay up. Then I'll go over to AAA and see if they'll issue tags with proof of CARB payment.  If that fails, I'll have to do the dance with DMV.

Happily I have until 8/14 before my current tags expire. Even then I have no trips on the schedule until mid October.  I've already paid the DMV fees so there won't be any late charges.

I'll keep you posted.

13 hours ago, Dale H said:

@SteveD is absolutely correct. My renewal notice looked exactly the same. Then I got the letter and the headache. Do yourselves a favor, if you are in CA, just go register now and pay any fees due. My bet is DMV will never send a smog required notice. I just received the following email from CARB a few minutes ago. My bet is I will get this every month and 1 day it will tell me I will have to test.

Dear Dale Hill,

a. 0 Vehicle Compliance Certification(s) were issued to your entity in the last month.
b. In total, 1 vehicle(s) are currently compliant out of 1 registered in your entity.

2. Compliance Fee:

3. Periodic Test:
a. Vehicles with Test(s) Due: 0 vehicle(s) have entered their test submission period, and the test(s) will be due within next 90 days.

4. Enforcement Hold:
0 vehicle(s) are currently under hold due to outstanding CARB Enforcement actions.

The status may vary from day to day, for more details and the latest status, please visit your account at https://cleantruckcheck.arb.ca.gov.

Please review the status of your vehicles to ensure that all your vehicles are compliant with the Clean Truck Check program. If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact CARB at HDIM@arb.ca.gov.

Clean Truck Check Team
hdim@arb.ca.gov

@Dale H I received that same email regarding  my account.   It's been almost 1 month since I registered and set up my account, so I expect we will get it monthly from here on out.

16 hours ago, VinceB said:

Yeah... I probably should have paid the $30 fee(s) from the get go. What's another $60 in the grand scheme of motorhome ownership.

So now it will go one of 2 ways - either I get the tags in the mail soon or I don't. If I don't get them, I'll go to the CARB site and pay up. Then I'll go over to AAA and see if they'll issue tags with proof of CARB payment.  If that fails, I'll have to do the dance with DMV.

Happily I have until 8/14 before my current tags expire. Even then I have no trips on the schedule until mid October.  I've already paid the DMV fees so there won't be any late charges.

I'll keep you posted.

@VinceB  I did call DMV to confirm they received the notice from CARB about 10 days after. They confirm and advised that I will receive my tags in about 30 days or I could goto AAA. I chose AAA. They gave me the new reg & tags without issue.

6 hours ago, Dale H said:

@VinceB  I did call DMV to confirm they received the notice from CARB about 10 days after. They confirm and advised that I will receive my tags in about 30 days or I could goto AAA. I chose AAA. They gave me the new reg & tags without issue.

Thanks for that - welcome news indeed.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I received this in today's mail.

delete.thumb.jpg.ebc4238e0b1e21cda8d8075695902d77.jpg

The link on the form letter took me to this page:

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/our-work/programs/truckstop-resources/truckstop/regulations/clean-truck-check-hd-im

From there I went to the CARB site and entered the requested information (not entirely intuitive but doable) and got the screen below:

image.thumb.png.bfcce4f234d8cf5db7b40dee5109221e.png

Received an email in a few seconds, then logged into account, went to "Fees", added each year to cart, then checked out. Email receipt arrived in a few seconds.  You could print the receipt from the website but it's under transaction history and not very apparent. There is a way to download and print the PDF of you compliance certificate.  Overall not a bad website - just new to work with.

So now off to AAA.

Edited by VinceB

yep.  So kinda what we expected.  Thanks for sharing it.

If your doing AAA right away, it will be interesting if it goes without a hitch.  I know AAA is linked to DMV, but I doubt they are linked to ARB, and I don't know if ARB updates DMV in real time or not.  

3 hours ago, windsorbill06 said:

yep.  So kinda what we expected.  Thanks for sharing it.

If your doing AAA right away, it will be interesting if it goes without a hitch.  I know AAA is linked to DMV, but I doubt they are linked to ARB, and I don't know if ARB updates DMV in real time or not.  

Yup - went to AAA this afternoon. Took a supervisor to sort things out.

Bottom line, my DMV application was locked - supe said to wait 3 business days for the data from CARB to flow over - not sure how she knows this or even if its accurate. Either way, she said that because I paid online that there's nothing AAA can do. The transaction must be completed with DMV. She said to wait 30 days and I should receive my tags in the mail. If not, come see them at AAA again. I'm not sure of the logic/knowledge/procedure there, but OK - I'll wait: I have time. 

The takeaway here is to register with CARB first and pony up. Wait a week or 2 and then pay DMV in person or online or go to AAA.

There's no skirting this - even in other states. No fighting city hall...

On 6/1/2024 at 6:46 AM, Dale H said:

Dear Dale Hill,

2. Compliance Fee:

3. Periodic Test:

4. Enforcement Hold:

Clean Truck Check Team
hdim@arb.ca.gov

I need some help filling out my vehicle information on the CARB website.  where do I find the  CA PUC ID, CA MCP ID MC, FF, OR MX Number, IRP Account Number.  Do I click that I am exempt?  I have a 2007 Monaco Knight Diesel Pusher.  Where do I find the engine model year?  It says Recommended Test Type OVI Opacity & Visual Inspection.  Where do I go for this?  Once I complete all this, will it just have me pay the $30? and if I have already registered my RV with DMV, the tags will come?  My renewal paperwork with DMV also did not mention this CARB compliance requirement and I read up on it and never heard about it, apparently there was a notice that went out in 2020?  I'm wonder if because we moved in 2020 it may have went to our old house and did not forward.  Either way, we did not get the notice and are just now finding out when my husband went to AAA to register in person and they handed him a print out about the CARB compliance requirement which is not very easy to understand.

I have a 2007 Monaco Knight Diesel RV.  I need some help filling out my vehicle information on the CARB website.  where do I find the  CA PUC ID, CA MCP ID MC, FF, OR MX Number, IRP Account Number.  Do I click that I am exempt?   Where do I find the engine model year?  It says Recommended Test Type OVI Opacity & Visual Inspection.  Where do I go for this? Do I need to get a test done? Once I complete all this, will it just have me pay the $30? and if I have already registered my RV with DMV, the tags will come?  My renewal paperwork with DMV also did not mention this CARB compliance requirement and I read up on it and never heard about it, apparently there was a notice that went out in 2020?  I'm wonder if because we moved in 2020 it may have went to our old house and did not forward.  Either way, we did not get the notice and are just now finding out when my husband went to AAA to register in person and they handed him a print out about the CARB compliance requirement which is not very easy to understand. Just want to understand the process and make sure we are in compliance.  Some of the information I am reading online is rather scary.  Someone posted they will have to change out their engine which will cost $80K worth more than the value of their RV.  This is crazy!  We only use our RV for 5-6 weekend trips a year.  Make it make sense. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jennbeme said:

I have a 2007 Monaco Knight Diesel RV.  I need some help filling out my vehicle information on the CARB website.  where do I find the  CA PUC ID, CA MCP ID MC, FF, OR MX Number, IRP Account Number.  Do I click that I am exempt?   ...

Those are not required fields so I left them blank. I did not claim exempt.  I think those are for commercial fleets.

Everything went OK with the entries I made and didn't make.

1 hour ago, jennbeme said:

... Where do I find ...

sense. 

... Where do I find the engine model year?  I entered the year of my coach.

It says Recommended Test Type OVI Opacity & Visual Inspection.  Where do I go for this? I think they will tell us later. For now they just want to get us registered and take in the $$.

Do I need to get a test done? Not yet.

Once I complete all this, will it just have me pay the $30? and if I have already registered my RV with DMV, the tags will come? I had to pay $60 - 30 for 2023  and 30 for 2024 plus a small service for using a credit card.  AAA says that the tags will come in the mail since I already paid DMV. See my posts above. If my tags do not come in the mail, AAA said to come back after 30 days.

My renewal paperwork with DMV also did not mention this CARB compliance requirement and I read up on it and never heard about it, apparently there was a notice that went out in 2020?  I'm wonder if because we moved in 2020 it may have went to our old house and did not forward.  Either way, we did not get the notice and are just now finding out when my husband went to AAA to register in person and they handed him a print out about the CARB compliance requirement which is not very easy to understand. Just want to understand the process and make sure we are in compliance.  Some of the information I am reading online is rather scary.  Someone posted they will have to change out their engine which will cost $80K worth more than the value of their RV.  This is crazy!  We only use our RV for 5-6 weekend trips a year.  Make it make sense. My renewal notice did not mention anything either - see my post above. I paid DMV and later got a hold notice with a link to the CARB site (see my post above).  The CARB website shows a sample notice and a renewal notice - the notice my renewal did not have.  The system is too new for both agencies to have all their ducks in a row is my take on things.

Bottom line: Pay and register on CARB website, pay DMV, get tags.  Or pay DMV, get hold letter, Pay and register on CARB website, wait for tags in mail.

Edited by VinceB

1 hour ago, VinceB said:

Those are not required fields so I left them blank. I did not claim exempt.  I think those are for commercial fleets.

Everything went OK with the entries I made and didn't make.

... Where do I find the engine model year?  I entered the year of my coach.

It says Recommended Test Type OVI Opacity & Visual Inspection.  Where do I go for this? I think they will tell us later. For now they just want to get us registered and take in the $$.

Do I need to get a test done? Not yet.

Once I complete all this, will it just have me pay the $30? and if I have already registered my RV with DMV, the tags will come? I had to pay $60 - 30 for 2023  and 30 for 2024 plus a small service for using a credit card.  AAA says that the tags will come in the mail since I already paid DMV. See my posts above. If my tags do not come in the mail, AAA said to come back after 30 days.

My renewal paperwork with DMV also did not mention this CARB compliance requirement and I read up on it and never heard about it, apparently there was a notice that went out in 2020?  I'm wonder if because we moved in 2020 it may have went to our old house and did not forward.  Either way, we did not get the notice and are just now finding out when my husband went to AAA to register in person and they handed him a print out about the CARB compliance requirement which is not very easy to understand. Just want to understand the process and make sure we are in compliance.  Some of the information I am reading online is rather scary.  Someone posted they will have to change out their engine which will cost $80K worth more than the value of their RV.  This is crazy!  We only use our RV for 5-6 weekend trips a year.  Make it make sense. My renewal notice did not mention anything either - see my post above. I paid DMV and later got a hold notice with a link to the CARB site (see my post above).  The CARB website shows a sample notice and a renewal notice - the notice my renewal did not have.  The system is too new for both agencies to have all their ducks in a row is my take on things.

Bottom line: Pay and register on CARB website, pay DMV, get tags.  Or pay DMV, get hold letter, Pay and register on CARB website, wait for tags in mail.

Thank you so much Vince for your assistance.  I was able to complete the CARB registration and pay the CARB 2023 and 2024 fees.  DMV is already paid so I will wait for the registration stickers to come in the mail.  We have camping plans coming up so I guess in the meantime I will just keep printouts of the registration proofs in the RV in case we get pulled over for expired tags if the new tags do not arrive in time. 

Can someone shed some light on the new regulations of the CARB.  Is California now requiring emissions testing on any diesel over 14,000 lb including privately owned Class A RVs. I'm aware that in the past it was only diesel trucks but now filtering into the private sector. If I am in a permanent spot for the next 6 months does that mean I have to leave to go to a shop to have this done in California or can private rvia mechanics perform the necessary testing. Please if anybody is familiar with California regulations respond to this. TYIA, Joel

Tried to edit topic, can't, please assist

Edited by Joel Sheriff

That is not quite true, private none commercial motorhomes are exempt.  If you read the website carefully you will find a link to register and obtain an exemption from CARB.  This has been very confusing and the people that have registered like a truck or other commercial vehicle and paid the 30 dollar fee are having problems with there registrations.  This was discussed extensively on the 1st Monaco RV Owners Group on Facebook.

CARB.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 6/14/2024 at 3:07 PM, Steveyos said:

That is not quite true, private none commercial motorhomes are exempt.  If you read the website carefully you will find a link to register and obtain an exemption from CARB.  This has been very confusing and the people that have registered like a truck or other commercial vehicle and paid the 30 dollar fee are having problems with there registrations.  This was discussed extensively on the 1st Monaco RV Owners Group on Facebook.

CARB.jpg

Can you post the link that this page is from?   I believe it's old information and not correct.  If you click on the link I had in original post, it is dated March 2024.  It's the current law. You do have to register with CARB and pay the annual fee for bothy 2023-24. .  It only applies to diesel powered private vehicles over 14,001 lbs.

I don't know anyone that has applied for the exemption, let alone get it.  I won't comment on that because I'd be speculating.

On 6/14/2024 at 2:28 PM, Joel Sheriff said:

Can someone shed some light on the new regulations of the CARB.  Is California now requiring emissions testing on any diesel over 14,000 lb including privately owned Class A RVs. I'm aware that in the past it was only diesel trucks but now filtering into the private sector. If I am in a permanent spot for the next 6 months does that mean I have to leave to go to a shop to have this done in California or can private rvia mechanics perform the necessary testing. Please if anybody is familiar with California regulations respond to this. TYIA, Joel

Tried to edit topic, can't, please assist

You do need to register with CARB and pay 2023 and 24 fees.  Just over $60 for that.   That's all you need to do now.   Go back and re-read this thread, lots of good information.    I believe you won't need to get vehicle smogged until your vehicle registration is due in 2025.   At least that is what I've read. My registration is due in November and I will update this thread if anything changes as that approaches.

Edited by windsorbill06

I went online and found under my vin a previous amout owed of $30 and current 2024 amount of $30.  Plus $1.79 cc process fee. It did not give any options of exemptions.  I'm straight diesel not Def & still responsible for the CARB annual fee.  I do think this is the most current info. Also under the impression that 2024 there is no physical exam for emissions but starting next year there may be. IMO... 

PS registration in Sept. I'll keep this thread informed of reg issues if any. 

Edited by Joel Sheriff
Add info on registration

1 hour ago, Joel Sheriff said:

I went online and found under my vin a previous amout owed of $30 and current 2024 amount of $30.  Plus $1.79 cc process fee. It did not give any options of exemptions.  I'm straight diesel not Def & still responsible for the CARB annual fee.  I do think this is the most current info. Also under the impression that 2024 there is no physical exam for emissions but starting next year there may be. IMO... 

PS registration in Sept. I'll keep this thread informed of reg issues if any. 

That is correct.  Pay those CARB fees and when you get your DMV notice for registration in next couple of months, all you'll have to do is mail the DMV fees in.  They will send you your tags.  You can do it at AAA, if you prefer.  Couple of guys already did it that way.   

You'll likely have to do the opacity test in 2025, but let's see how it plays out this year. 

The post referring to an exemption is referring to the Truck and Bus regulations for heavy duty diesel fleets. Private motor homes are exempt from that. Because we are exempt from the Truck and Bus regs we can still run diesel engines with no exhaust treatments. 

The regulation that can put holds on DMV registration is the Clean Truck Check registration that requires all diesel powered equipment that runs on the highway to register your vehicle with CARB under the Clean Truck Check website. The purpose of this regulation is to ensure your emissions equipment (if any) is in tact and operational. 

I run a 2003 Cat C12 505 horsepower with no EGR or any other emissions equipment. I will need to do an opacity test when the time comes. 

So if you are running factory equipment that has not been chipped or set up you will be fine. The test criteria is:

Pre OBD engines (usually 2012 and older) get an opacity and visual test. 

Post OBD (2013 and newer) will get plugged into to verify there are no bad codes or computer modifications and a visual inspection. That computer transmits the results directly to DMV. 

Hope that helps. 

• 2 weeks later...

Received a notice from CARB today... FINALLY.  See below.

Since I had paid everything online already and hadn't heard from DMV, I went back over to AAA and sailed right through. I walked out with my 2025 tags.

I'm not sure how it would have worked had I paid CARB first and then went to AAA to pay the DMV side of the registration. Perhaps walking into AAA with a paid CARB receipt would have been enough. Guess I'll find out next year.

delete.thumb.jpg.4972074b4665766527f4284fec57a508.jpgdelete1.thumb.jpg.7d249ac6678a23f2fde495c3ca27367b.jpg

Paid my CARB $60 last week. Today I got notice of mail renewal for my sept 9th tags.  I'll let you know what the dmv wants, if anything, upon renewal.