UPDATE CARB (California Air Resource Board) as applies to Motorhome

Received the letter from ARB and went to the CARB / and Clean Truck Check web sites.  I registered my Motorhome and found my way through the supplied forms. Now I await the responses and what fees they impose from 2023 and 2024.

I come due to renew DMV registration in January2025.

I was surprised that there was no previous notification about this issue. 

Hope for the best but expect the worst.

Lots of horror stories... 

39 minutes ago, Les Hurdle said:

If one goes to AAA will they do everything?

L

I don't think so. When I went to AAA the first time, there was a hold on my tags. I had recently I paid my DMV fees and the CARB fees online. Having a receipt in hand for the CARB fees still would not enable AAA to bypass the hold. I went back to AAA 3 weeks later (after CARB had shared that I had paid) and walked out with my tags. 

My best advise is to pay CARB online, wait 3-4 weeks, then go to AAA to pay the DMV fees. . OR pay both online and wait hoping CARB and DMV do their jobs.

It would be nice if AAA was authorized to collect the CARB fees but, I think, because it is a different agency from DMV, they cannot  - for now at least.

Edited by VinceB

50 minutes ago, Les Hurdle said:

My tags are due next April...........  when should one do this CARB thing?

Apperently not required in Arizona !!

Right away - if you have not paid your CARB fees yet, you are out of compliance.

AZ has their own requirements: https://azdot.gov/mvd/services/vehicle-services/vehicle-registration/emissions

Edited by VinceB

Tom, with respect, the old info in the thread was outdated and my bringing this to the table actually sparked interest.  I looked up old info this should not be a warning memo. Only thing that happened was I put it under the wrong topic and acknowledge same after doing and apologized for not knowing how to rectify.  The info for CARB is now updated and clarified because of my post. There is no need to reprimand as if I handed in the wrong homework assignment. Sorry for the sarcastic tone but... 

20 hours ago, Joel Sheriff said:

Tom, with respect, the old info in the thread was outdated and my bringing this to the table actually sparked interest.  I looked up old info this should not be a warning memo. Only thing that happened was I put it under the wrong topic and acknowledge same after doing and apologized for not knowing how to rectify.  The info for CARB is now updated and clarified because of my post. There is no need to reprimand as if I handed in the wrong homework assignment. Sorry for the sarcastic tone but... 

all this was covered in a PM to you and not ONLINE. You DID, offline, request that we RECLASSIFY or change the NEW TOPIC’s  category.

However, it was obvious that the required SEARCH, prior to posting or starting a new topic was not done.  There was the usual warning, a standard practice, to follow the guidelines, but you were not moderated.

Had you followed the guidelines and done a simple CARB search, then it is assumed that the post would have been made to the existing topic. It was less than a month old and already had 82 posts.  Therefore, your post was moved and there was not new topic allowed.  That is how it works...  any UPDATES or comments about CARB should be in the ongoing or original, and fairly new, topic.  This is how the site was set up and how the staff has been moderated from day one.

Sorry that the PM response, which was made about 2 weeks ago is now upsetting you.

The correct manner that the staff expects is a response to a PM is a PM and not an online,  “sarcastic”  one…as you just stated.

Let’s move on and please follow the “search first guidelines” in the future.

Thanks….

My registration is due end of September, so I’m inside the 90 day window period. Appears I need to do the testing sooner than I thought. 

I just received the following email:  

Dear William Howard, 

Below is a summary of the current status of your William Howard CTC-VIS account:

1. Vehicle Compliance Certification Status: 
a. 0 Vehicle Compliance Certification(s) were issued to your entity in the last month. 
b. In total, 1 vehicle(s) are currently compliant out of 1 registered in your entity. 
c. 1 of the Vehicle Compliance Certificate(s) will expire within next 90 days. 

2. Compliance Fee: 
a. Fees Due Soon: 0 vehicle(s) are with fee(s) due within next 90 days. 
b. Fees Past Due: 0 vehicle(s) are with fee(s) already past due. 
c. Expired Fee: There are 0 expired fee(s) in your Entity. 

3. Periodic Test: 
a. Vehicles with Test(s) Due: 1 vehicle(s) have entered their test submission period, and the test(s) will be due within next 90 days. 
b. Tests Past Due: 0 vehicle(s) are with test(s) already past due. 

4. Enforcement Hold:
0 vehicle(s) are currently under hold due to outstanding CARB Enforcement actions. 

The status may vary from day to day, for more details and the latest status, please visit your account at https://cleantruckcheck.arb.ca.gov. 

Please review the status of your vehicles to ensure that all your vehicles are compliant with the Clean Truck Check program. If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact CARB at HDIM@arb.ca.gov.

Clean Truck Check Team
California Air Resources Board
hdim@arb.ca.gov

Hi Tom,

I'm still a newbie.

Here's the real problem with the searches.   What some may call X may be Y to others.

I must say I seldom find anything via the search criteria

The note via Windsorbill06 is interesting to me.

I called the smog guy I have used for decades.  He was quite shocked to note I had received notification.  He said he was certified but as yet did not have the machinery to test motorhomes with diesel engines.

29 minutes ago, Les Hurdle said:

Hi Tom,

I'm still a newbie.

Here's the real problem with the searches.   What some may call X may be Y to others.

I must say I seldom find anything via the search criteria

The note via Windsorbill06 is interesting to me.

I called the smog guy I have used for decades.  He was quite shocked to note I had received notification.  He said he was certified but as yet did not have the machinery to test motorhomes with diesel engines.

Les,

We recognize that searches are something that members may not totally understand.  We are hoping for a video that might help or make it easier.  I rarely used searches until the past 2 or so years. Now it is a vital part of moderating as well as helping. You are absolutely correct in that terminology as well as perhaps "not knowing" or being a newbie often will not produce the results.  

First to address, what I think your point is here.  CARB was the logical key search word for this topic.  Had that been used, then the new May, 24 topic, that we allowed, already had 82 replies. It was current. The text of the post in question was to provide revised data.  YES, things change constantly.  So, starting a new post with a new chart or whatever that was just released would be counterproductive to the concept of this forum. Had the NEW CARB topic NOT been posted, of course.

SO...from a logical and simplistic standpoint....it was NOT a matter of differing terms. 

NOW...as to searches in general.  YES....  A component that might be called X by one member or Y by another or whatever is often an issue.

Case in point.  Yesterday, a poster said...  I do NOT have an "X". I can't find it.  YES, he did NOT have an "X". "X" was a brand and model name often bandied about and commonly USED here.  But, if you read the manual, it explains exactly what an "X" is and how it works.  SO, the confusion was "X" was not on his MH.  BUT, the generic component, described in the manual and on the diagram and that had a picture was an "X". That, I think, fits your comment....BUT...

The way that I and others often help is to SEARCH.  Many times it will take 10 - 15 minutes trying to find information for a member that can be used, rather that everyone posting the SAME old stuff...as one person called it... You may have to use many terms or do several key word searches.  For example "BIG BOY". That is an Intellitec Brand.  It is an Intellitec Model. ...

BOOST or  SOLENOID...  or  BATTERY BOOST or BIG BOY or BATTERY SOLENOID.  That is how you learn to use it.  MOST of the members can download their manual.  We encourage this.  If you open up the HR or Monaco Manual in the FREEBIE Adobe Reader, there is a FIND or the "magnifying glass" in the top tool bar. You can put in any word or key words and find the page where it is printed. BIG BOY was used later one.  My manual has 2 "hits", but BOOST or CUTOFF or common terms.... I just searched a 2002 Windsor Manual.  There were 13 BOOSTS....some engine...but the BOOST SOLENOID was the primary one....

The real issue or perhaps the frustration of the STAFF and many members, who frequently post or contribute is this....

There are daily posts about "WHAT IS THIS" or "I CAN'T FIND" or "WHAT IS WRONG".... and USUALLY there is only one or two words.  Members often will just "Move along....NOTHING to see here".  That is GROUP dynamics...and we, the Staff, can't change human nature.  BUT, that same post with a little more information or specifics....like the Model and Year will get far more responses.  We will edit about 10 new topics per week to include more information.  

The final comment is probably the one that we hear, offline, MORE.  Newbie members often have not read the manual.  YES, the Monaco manuals run upwards (I think I saw one) of 500 pages. That is a a LOT.  Now the first two or three sections are "boiler plate" or fluff....except for "WEIGHING" the rig.  This is a SAFETY ISSUE, as you well know.

BUT, reading the electrical sections or chapters (8 & 9) FIRST...then doing a key word search...and the KEY WORDS are in the manual....is something that we hope, as members become more experienced will happen.

Perhaps we ought to put out a video on using the Downloaded Copy and the Adobe Reader...but that is a computer skill and we know that many folks are smarter that Bill Gates....or some are like certain family members....

BOTTOM LINE.  Our expectation...and this is GENERIC and has been discussed offline with the staff...we would hope that a member would spend the 5 to 01 minutes to do a search and use various terms.  If they don't understand what the issue or the component is...then spend the time, as a courtesy to the entire membership, to read the section of their manual. The manual has an index...OK...not the best...but it is there.  Once they begin to get a "feel" for what is going on....do the searches...and then, if they don't find anything....start a new topic.

Sorry for the "soap box", but this is a very important issue and the incident that prompted your post needs to be fully understood.

Thanks....

Hi Tom,

As an octagenerian and now very used to 'fast food'.........  5-10 mins to find a topic is a lifetime ;-)) 

Perhaps it would help eg; if everyone called them 'spanners'........ you get my point I'm sure.

Thanks for all you do I for one appreciate it.

L

4 hours ago, Les Hurdle said:

Hi Tom,

As an octagenerian and now very used to 'fast food'.........  5-10 mins to find a topic is a lifetime ;-)) 

Perhaps it would help eg; if everyone called them 'spanners'........ you get my point I'm sure.

Thanks for all you do I for one appreciate it.

L

Les, I HOPE you were being your sometimes witty self and not serious.. BUT…you did hit on an oft and thorny point….which is becoming more of an issue…based on feedback, offline….

The staff’s response, as politely as possible, would then be something like this….If one only seeks out information and expects other members  to do the grunt work and is not willing to follow the rules  and research and do the work, then that person might not be a valuable or contributing member of our community.

I don’t understand the term…”SPANNER”.  The  members that pull prints and do research and noodle over things and then provide sound advice and input are the lifeblood of this forum….and newbies, as they learn more,  are expected to then emulate and help out…and contribute….

I won’t have the 8 until next year…Rock on….

Thanks…

Tom, I for one have been on the receiving end of advise on "how to" within these walls but one thing stays true to form. You and others have over the last 17 years, made my Rving life 1000 times easier, if not possible at all. Thank you for all your hard work and keeping the colonials wishes alive. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Joel Sheriff said:

Tom, I for one have been on the receiving end of advise on "how to" within these walls but one thing stays true to form. You and others have over the last 17 years, made my Rving life 1000 times easier, if not possible at all. Thank you for all your hard work and keeping the colonials wishes alive. 

Thank more than me…we do this for all the right reasons…..

Tanks….

A spanner is the 'correct' term for wrench !!

I tried to help a while ago re windshields and few accepted the fact someone named Buster in the high desert might just know a thing or two.

Regardless, for me, if owning an rv isn't fun then I might as well go back to rock n roll ;-))

Best

Les

• Like 1

I paid my fees and they show me up to date, however, my registration is due in January2025. They assign due dates for testing based upon your VIN last digit. That is prior to my DMV visit. It seems there may be a surprise for many awaiting the renewal to find out about this new requirement if they wait until DMV tags are due.

Yes Les, you are correct. Registration is required now, they will determine your fees based on your responses and tell you when testing is due to have been completed. That prevents DMV from stopping your renewal registration. 

Right now they charged $30.00 per year to me.

Smog test ??? See what they have to do.

6 hours ago, Les Hurdle said:

So I might be clear............ no mater when one's tags are due, this CARB doc has be purchased 'now'?

L

Yes.  You need to register with CARB now.  The actual deadline was 2/1/2024.   I don’t think they are doing any late penalties, at least I haven’t heard of any.  You will be paying for both 2023 and 2024.   You will get  monthly emails from them.   You will be notified by them 90 days prior to your registration due date that a smog test is required or DMV will not renew.  That gives you some time to get a smog done. My 90 day period just started.  I posted that  email earlier. Many smog places don’t have the equipment to do opacity testing as the volume is not worth the  upfront testing equipment expense, so it may take some calling around. 

3 hours ago, Les Hurdle said:

So all of this was supposed to be done early '23 yet for eg; I have only just been notified.  Oh well.

Yep.   Re-read this entire thread.  You’re not alone when it comes to receiving little or no communication. There are several comments about it. 

I’ve read threads on irv2, Facebook, and others.  Most of them are posting wrong information and really not beneficial to anyone.  

my intent when I started this thread, was hopefully keep to the facts as they became known. Not “what ifs”. So far, so good. 

I appreciate Tom and the other moderators keeping this thread focused