What if they "total loss" your motorhome?

On 5/25/2024 at 7:27 PM, jacwjames said:

There should be language as to valuation,

Mine is agreed value and I have an email exchange with my agent stating the value>>>>Just in case there are questions later.

In your last post you mention $58k declared value, and here you say agreed value.
Be aware that those two are very different insurance contracts.
Declared value means they'll pay actual cash value UP TO the declared value.  Basically, it's just used to set your premium.
Agreed value means that in the event of a total loss, they pay that value, with no deduction for market value or depreciation.

These two terms are very commonly confused.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Happycarz said:

You may wish to change your sign to:

THIS MOTORHOME HAS BEEN ACCIDENT FREE FOR 5:37 HRS.

Now that will get a lot of chuckles! 

Ha. We sure got the looks!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

When you get it fixed add dash and side cameras. I have a wifi camera on each side that I added a month ago and have had a dash camera for a couple of years just because I here too much of this kind of stuff happening.

Best of luck. 

Edited by timaz996

Boy, isnt this a great suggestion. Unfortunately, I had a Garmin traveler running but put it on my backup camera screen. had I had it up higher with the dashcam camera  going, it would have proven I was  in my lane and not wandering around. oh boy.  thanks

Yes, a sign of the times.  We were all shocked that freeway traffic southbound on CA 99 continued at full speed and didn't even slow down when Cal Trans or the highway patrol showed up.  I thought that was the most dangerous situation.. We all felt lucky there wasn't a secondary crash.

I also always run a 2way 4k dashcam in our toad when towing, in addition to 3way front and a rear recording cameras on the coach. All that after being boxed in for miles by some suspiciously behaving individuals in Florida few years ago. Hope to never need it.

Sounds like quite a system.At my wife's urging.We regularly lock our tow vehicle when departing.Since we worry at rest stops and traffic lights some one could open the door.real quick and grab something.

47 minutes ago, timaz996 said:

It's sad that no one would stop and give witness.

It's that way in California and has been ever since I moved there in '93. People don't want to get involved.

I had a rollover happen on the CA-170 right in front of me as I was going into work in Hollywood. All three lanes slowed WAY down but I was the only one that pulled over to help. Everyone else just kept going on their way.

Thankfully I left in 2010 and never looked back.

Basically, it's tough luck.

4 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

It's that way in California and has been ever since I moved there in '93. People don't want to get involved.

I had a rollover happen on the CA-170 right in front of me as I was going into work in Hollywood. All three lanes slowed WAY down but I was the only one that pulled over to help. Everyone else just kept going on their way.

Thankfully I left in 2010 and never looked back.

Basically, it's tough luck.

My experience too but the rubber necks have time to pull their phones and record. Chances are you are in a video online somewhere.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Preston W said:

Sounds like quite a system.At my wife's urging.We regularly lock our tow vehicle when departing.Since we worry at rest stops and traffic lights some one could open the door.real quick and grab something.

I also use locks on the attachment pins on my toad because people have been known to pull a pin out in stop and go traffic just for fun. I do my best to stay out of cities but it's not always possible. 

Edited by timaz996
  • Like 1

I have checked those pins all the time expecting that to happen. While you're at it once in a while, .Check the bolts on your base plate on the towed vehicle.If it's on the ground. we did that last year in  Albuquerque and found half of them have broken off and my wife was forced to drive the vehicle behind the r v all the way back to phoenix. They think whoever put it on.originally did not but threadlock on the bolts.

The best thing you could do.We were shocked that our base plate.was just hanging on. blue.Ox says don't tow untol it's fixed

We learned a lesson Camping World and Albuquerque. Didn't know what to do at all. Blue ox had the wrong diagram up on the internet for the unit but when we finally sorted it all out. It was attached with regular hardware from any. Hardware store. Some units may require specialty hardware from blue ox. A body shop was the best place to have it fixed because they knew how to take the bumper off. Cost us $115..

You would think so, but the installation was donemany years ago by Al's R.V and the 59th and bell, Phoenix was a great RV place.We miss their selection of RV supplies a lot and the service people seem to know what they were doing at the time but I guess not so for some. Not in business now.