how bad is the rotor?

Go to solution Solved by Benjamin,

1 hour ago, Ivan K said:

Your picture of the crack is on steer axle, right? The switch you are mentioning is a Jake switch? That would not be a cause of your crack.

Yes.

2 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Ah, your engine brake!

Nope, that's not going to damage your brake rotors!

OK, then it must be the previous owner abuse the brake then!

The engine brake didn't directly cause the cracks, it doesn't use the wheel end brakes at all.  It's not even that bad of abuse that caused the the cracks either, if they were overheated the rotors would be blue and the pads would show it also.  Those stress cracks are caused by quickly heating up cool brake rotors or drums, like coasting down a hill with the engine brake and then using the brakes to slow way down.  Applying the brakes at the top of the hill to slow down, then periodically all the way down will prevent those stress cracks.

31 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

The engine brake didn't directly cause the cracks, it doesn't use the wheel end brakes at all.  It's not even that bad of abuse that caused the the cracks either, if they were overheated the rotors would be blue and the pads would show it also.  Those stress cracks are caused by quickly heating up cool brake rotors or drums, like coasting down a hill with the engine brake and then using the brakes to slow way down.  Applying the brakes at the top of the hill to slow down, then periodically all the way down will prevent those stress cracks.

Then it must be bad luck for me then

I wonder what is the percentage of 2007 young coach have this kind of crack(I mean the big one)