Alternator regulator issue

1995 Monaco Windsor with original alternator and regulator.  Trip to Ft. Worden State Park in WA.  Headed out and tachometer stopped working.  When we got to destination the chassis battery was down to 11.4 vdc.  Managed to recharge battery during stay, no tach on restart and alternator not charging. Shut down and restart and tachometer came up and alternator charging at 13.5 vdc.  During trip home tach bouncing +/- 500rpm, volt meter fluctuating.  When we got home, battery charged to 13.3 vdc and charging 13.5 to 15v.  Assuming either alternator or voltage regulator are the issue.  Penntax px4000 regulator looks to be difficult to replace.  Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

That is a standalone regulator, right? Do you have a test procedure to check it out? I did not even know these were used. Why would it be difficult to replace, a bunch of wires but just a plug in, isn't it 

Don't assume, test the voltages to see what's working or not.  External voltage regulators are common in some applications, shouldn't be hard to diagnose, just different.  If you want, if it comes to it, you should be able to replace it with a more common Delco. 

First, it sounds like you might have a loose connection that just needs to be tightened. Second, Penntex has gone out of business but parts and service are still available. If you need help, contact Quality Power @ (909) 794-1600. They know the Penntex systems.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses! Yes the regulator is independent, mounted on the firewall and I have found the Penntex testing guide.  Next steps will be to check the regulator according to the recommended procedure and put new terminations on the alternator connections.  I'll also be looking for a spare regulator so thanks Ron for the tip on Quality Power, their site shows cross reference for PX4000 replacement.

• Like 1

I have a similar issue. 2005 Camelot 40 PDQ with an ISL400. The tach stopped working and volt gauge works sometimes. Allidian shows all is well. Tach working and ALT charging.

stumped,

Dave

Since your alternator seems to work, per your Alladin, assuming good charging voltage 14V+, I would look at the smaller wire connections at back of the alternator. If good there and you follow the loom where the smaller wires go, you'll likely find a connector where it joins the Monaco wiring and check that too.

I'm still chasing the gremlins.  Cleaned up the voltage regulator connector and ground and the tach bounce is gone. But I haven't road tested. I can still end up starting the rig and getting no tach or charge.  If I turn off and restart it will come back.  It's really starting to feel like bad wire somewhere or ignition switch with an intermittent connection.  Front console gets A LOT of vibration going down the road so potential points of failure.  I really appreciate the thoughts from everyone and will post when I finally find the culprit.