Anyone Have a Windshiled Replaced Lately?

Curious, when the windshield is paid for by your insurance, does you premium increase next time because of that? I just renewed our cars insurance and the alternative quotes I was getting were influenced by previous years window replacement claim for a $200 windshield on a Hummer, not worth a claim next time.

46 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Curious, when the windshield is paid for by your insurance, does you premium increase next time because of that? I just renewed our cars insurance and the alternative quotes I was getting were influenced by previous years window replacement claim for a $200 windshield on a Hummer, not worth a claim next time.

I don't think it does on RV's here but I will find out when they finally get back to me.

16 hours ago, RoadTripper2084 said:

Are you people seriously telling me that it costs $5K - $10K to get a windshield replaced?  Is this actually common?  What is the best deal anyone has gotten in say the last 5 years? That's outrageous.

This will be the 2nd one I've replaced in a motorhome here in Edmonton and the 1st was 4400. cdn and this one is over 5000 cdn. and both times it was just side.

16 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Our replacement in 2019, dealing directly with Coachglass, replaced at our place in TX

Screenshot_20240615_194310_Samsung Notes.jpg

Here's my quote in Canada. 😞

scan.pdf

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Craggar said:

I don't think it does on RV's here but I will find out when they finally get back to me.

This will be the 2nd one I've replaced in a motorhome here in Edmonton and the 1st was 4400. cdn and this one is over 5000 cdn. and both times it was just side.

Here's my quote in Canada. 😞

scan.pdf 324.14 kB · 1 download

$1600 labour. So they spent at least 8 hours working on it, did they?  

16 minutes ago, RoadTripper2084 said:

They took mine into the shop at 8AM. Let us back into the coach about 5:30PM, and asked us not to move it, or extend slides till at least 4AM, to allow the urethane to set-up.

Hardly 2 hours in my shop,  including cleaning the glass and folding the old one to take it back with them. It was a crew of 3, two of them holding it in place on ladders, the third one flipping the gasket lip to lock it, so $600 seemed reasonable.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RoadTripper2084 said:

I’m questioning that a little as well because the first one was 1/2 that in labor. Once I hear back from insurance on if they are paying for it or not I’m going to ask Crystal about the labor.

• Like 1

This is the long story on our 06 Dip windshield. We had two new steers put on at a Michelin dealer in W. Virginia last fall due to some road damage on one tire. The turkeys jacked up one corner instead of the whole front and they cracked the glass. The dealer agreed to pay and told me to deal directly with their insurance co.. The insurance co. told me to send them a quote. So I looked at the etching on the corner of the glass and it said the mfg. is Coach Glass. So I called Coach Glass in Oregon (I think) and told them that I am in Fla. and they gave me one of their dealers in CoCo Beach. I called  them and they sent me a quote of $4400. I thought that sounded a little high since I previously had one installed for around $2000 a few years ago. So I called Coach Glass in Oregon back and told them that based on previous experience, I  thought $4400 was way high. There was a pause and then a WOW! They asked if I was close to Lakeland FL. The Lakeland shop, I think is owned by Coach Glass. So Coach Glass ,Oregon told me that Coa h Glass FL. Would do the job for $2200 as long as l went to them in Lakeland. So off to Lakeland I went  and they did a beautiful job! And the Michelin dealers ins. co. paid me promptly.

So it's BUYER BEWARE!

SO THATS MY STORY AND I'M STICKING TO IT!!

TR Staska 06 Diplomat 

• Like 1

In a recent post I mentioned 'Buster' here in S Cal.  Had my one side on my 04 Cheetah replaced.  Same glass type as original etc etc $1300.

You guys are ripped off because you allow people to rip you off.......... even $1300 is too high.

2 hours ago, Les Hurdle said:

In a recent post I mentioned 'Buster' here in S Cal.  Had my one side on my 04 Cheetah replaced.  Same glass type as original etc etc $1300.

You guys are ripped off because you allow people to rip you off.......... even $1300 is too high.

I agree that we are getting ripped off but you will not find the glass for that price anywhere here in Canada. There’s the exchange on the dollar which is 1.40 for us right now, then you have the shipping on top of that. Plus things are booming here in Alberta so that drives prices up as well. Not much we can do unless we drive down there and get it replaced.

• Like 1

08 Dip here in Kansas City. Windshield popped in upper passenger corner.  Have not found mobile service yet. Did speak with Alpha Glass in Lathrope, MO. Six week wait at least. Resetting a one piece is risky especially if there are rock chips. But none on mine. The coach was purchased from a dealer with know windshield install problems. I can drive to a shop anywhere.  I am worried about driving in this condition. Did anyone tape or secure the glass in the mean time. 

R,

10 minutes ago, Rheine said:

08 Dip here in Kansas City. Windshield popped in upper passenger corner.  Have not found mobile service yet. Did speak with Alpha Glass in Lathrope, MO. Six week wait at least. Resetting a one piece is risky especially if there are rock chips. But none on mine. The coach was purchased from a dealer with know windshield install problems. I can drive to a shop anywhere.  I am worried about driving in this condition. Did anyone tape or secure the glass in the mean time. 

R,

Not a one piece but I had 99 Rexall gas job when we were into quadding and one spot was a little rough on the rv and popped the windshield out on the pass side upper corner. There was a 2 inch gap almost and I used duct tape to hold it in place to get it home. We drove it about 60 miles that way and never had any issues. Took it back to the glass shop that had just replaced the other side a couple weeks before that and had them reset it. 

Drove 800 miles after windshield popped out on bottom right and left. Glass shop in Missoula MT said he would try and reset,but stated no guarantee it would not break then I would be stuck in Missoula have to find storage until they could get a new windshield. Duct taped it to stop the wind noise and drove it home to Wesrern Washington. No problems