Houghton RecPro AC Conversion From Dometic

6 minutes ago, Brad Loehr said:

Yes that is correct.  The vent slider controls for open/close are to the rear of coach.  I would cut back the coach duct and seal up the 14 x 14 square area like the pictures above.  Seal up the return air from the cold air in the plenum 100% and then vent cold air directly down.  Hope that helps...

There is no "jumper" option for the 4 button thermostat?  My old AC unit is long gone my fault for not reading up.  My frt AC still works but can't turn it on it will be replaced shortly then I'll do the furnace thermostat 

38 minutes ago, jraynor said:

There is no "jumper" option for the 4 button thermostat?  My old AC unit is long gone my fault for not reading up.  My frt AC still works but can't turn it on it will be replaced shortly then I'll do the furnace thermostat 

No biggie,  Look at the 1st page 4th post down about running the dumb mechanical thermostats.  You can use the furnace control wires on either the AC unit side and fish them through the duct to a drilled out area on the wall that would have a good location for a temperature reading to control the thermostat or go from the furnace and fish the wires to a good location.

So for a quick fix until I get the ducting built is I put some pieces of 2 inch thick foam around the duct.  It sealed off good enough that the compressor quit cycling.  It's not great but will work for a day or two.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

I also installed a Recpro in the frt of the coach a 15k with heat pump.  It works flawlessly and pushes a ton of air through the ducting.  The main part of the coach is a very nice 70 degrees when its 105 outside.  I'm still having issues with the one in the bedroom it struggles to get down to 73 and cycles a lot.  Not as much as it did but still to much it wont stay on long enough.  I build ducting to attach to the main center ducting and taped it up super good so no leaks.  I have been on the email with recpro techs on how to fix this issue.  The first thing was to move the thermostat more in the center of the condenser.  That didn't do much I'm waiting for the next tip.  I will pass along any more info they send and what if anything fixes my problem.  I will say the units push a ton of air that's for sure.  Now if I can just get the back one to work properly life would be good.   

1 hour ago, jraynor said:

Update:

I also installed a Recpro in the frt of the coach a 15k with heat pump.  It works flawlessly and pushes a ton of air through the ducting.  The main part of the coach is a very nice 70 degrees when its 105 outside.   

Wow!

That's impressive!

What brand of A/C do you have in bedroom? I have a 15000 BTU penguin in my bedroom and a 15000 BTU houghton in the front. My bedroom does best if I put the fan on constant low with the desired temperature and put the front one in auto. I just spent 2 weeks in Texas heat running this way and it worked well.

2 hours ago, klcdenver said:

What brand of A/C do you have in bedroom? I have a 15000 BTU penguin in my bedroom and a 15000 BTU houghton in the front. My bedroom does best if I put the fan on constant low with the desired temperature and put the front one in auto. I just spent 2 weeks in Texas heat running this way and it worked well.

Houghton 13.5.  I thought about changing the setting to see if that helped right now its in auto.

4 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Wow!

That's impressive!

Yea it's pretty good!!

When you have time can you post a picture of the new sensor location?

1 hour ago, jraynor said:

Update the 13.5 in the bedroom works properly now.  On the advise of the Tech I moved the thermostat down to the lowest spot on the condenser and it quit short cycling.

13 hours ago, Brad Loehr said:

The wire on the sensor only lets you move it so far.  Mine was installed up the side towards the top.  I moved it as far as the wire would let me to the center and down.  I will take a pic next time i drop the plenum.  

6 minutes ago, klcdenver said:

That sounds like good customer service. 

I have no complaints with them at all.  Tech has been super helpful and when all options were exhausted they offered to send me a new thermostat cable or a whole new unit.  I opted for the new unit they included a return label I'll put the old unit in the boxes and ship it back.  Highly recommend them.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to hijack your thread but I just installed 2 15k unit from them. The rear is doing great but the front is just not getting it done. The air is cold but today it’s 101 and the coach is 80 in the front but like 70 in the back. 

My micro air easy starts show the rear is using 10+ amps and the front is 7-8 amps I am thinking a bad unit any thoughts.

2 hours ago, Biljol said:

Not to hijack your thread but I just installed 2 15k unit from them. The rear is doing great but the front is just not getting it done. The air is cold but today it’s 101 and the coach is 80 in the front but like 70 in the back. 

My micro air easy starts show the rear is using 10+ amps and the front is 7-8 amps I am thinking a bad unit any thoughts.

I don't know how accurate the easy starts are at measuring current, you may want to put clamp meter on those leads but also compare the temp delta between inlet-outlet air of each, preferably when the inlet temps are the same, like in the morning so the test is more of apples to apples.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Always easier to cool the bedroom!

It doesn't have a massive glass windshield.

I used this on my front windshield, mounted on the outside.  It's phenomenal that you can see clearly through it and yet keeps the windshield from becoming a radiant heater.  I cut the roll in half . . . .

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Phifer-48-in-x-25-ft-Black-SunTex-80-3021118/100618138

The trick is coming up with a mounting system.  I used bar magnets but climbing up to mount it by myself is tricky.  That and my stays are one or two night stands so I don't use it as much as I should.

- bob