Magnum Inverter/charger gremlin/issue

4 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Bottom line....YES, we need to focus on getting your issue resolved....

Second.  Based on what I know and have read and has been reported.  If the Board's ATS is toast... Just found this.

@Frank McElroy Don't think we have this in the files....might be a good addition. So, as step by step, should you need it on getting the board out....WELLL GUESSSS WHATTTT?

OK....my curiosity is well known....  Here is something that might be of real value....  I had NOT seen this done before nor remember reading about it.

I am not the expert of desoldering...but have replaced many components and rebuilt power supply boards on LED TV's.  I would be worth giving this a try.  I have a nice Weller soldering station.  You don't need the really nice vacuum desoldering iron....you purchase the dewicking mesh and that will "suck up" the excess solder and leave the board ready for popping in the new relays.

I worked for the Cooper Hand Tools division and was their "on site" consultant for a variety of areas. I spent a LOT of time in the USA Weller plant and built the replacement facility in Mexico.  I know a LOT about the Weller line and had many devices for evaluation.

Weller Digital Soldering Station - WE1010NA

If you put the above in Amazon, the price amazed me...they used to be over $200 or so.  You might be able to use a 15 Watt iron and you just "file or rework" the tip to fit your needs.  I believe this is doable.  And the cost would be well worth it.

Just passing this on as it was new to me and I don't think it has been posted here before.

Good Luck.

64-1003, Control Board Removal and Replacement _8.5X11_ _7-06_ (2).pdf 1.23 MB · 5 downloads

If you think you could fix a fault code on a Magnum inverter with a Weller soldering iron, I'd first suggest spending 90 minutes and watch this video.  Unless you are very experienced with electronics and have the proper equipment, I think you'll change your mind.

FWIW, this is my workbench for circuit board troubleshooting and repair.  The hot air desoldering/soldering station on the far left would have removed those multi pin relays in under 2 minutes each.

PXL_20240622_153807448.jpg

PXL_20240622_153815089.jpg

PXL_20240622_153825592.jpg

4 hours ago, Frank McElroy said:

If you think you could fix a fault code on a Magnum inverter with a WELLER  soldering station or iron, I'd first suggest spending 90 minutes and watch this video.  Unless you are very experienced with electronics and have the proper equipment, I think you'll change your mind.

FWIW, this is my workbench for circuit board troubleshooting and repair.  The hot air desoldering/soldering station on the far left would have removed those multi pin relays in under 2 minutes each.

PXL_20240622_153807448.jpg

PXL_20240622_153815089.jpg

PXL_20240622_153825592.jpg

Hey….I know you really don’t need all that stuff.  I thought after watching the video that I could….but, you‘re the Guru…. LOL.

How would you suggest that the OP replace the two ATS relays or did the CC guy sort of exaggerate?

Thanks….does this mean the YT video doesn’t meet the File’s or the Video sections standards….

4 hours ago, Bobbyboy said:

Tom:  If I determine a faulty relay I may take you up on your offer;  have nothing to lose.  Will keep you posted once I get into it.

BobL

You know….  I’ll try. Maybe Paul and Frank will be “hooked” and set up a protype like they do for Intellitec?

Seriously, let me know….what you find out….

In practice vacuum air desoldering stations like the one he was using rarely work.  He actually had to grind off the metal relay posts so his vacuum desoldering station could make a full vacuum connection to desolder the pins.  Solder wicking wouldn't stand a chance.  Notice that he eventually went with a really hot soldering iron.  The best option for someone trying to make this sort of repair would be better off bringing the board to a computer repair shop with a hot air soldering station.

1 hour ago, Tom Cherry said:

Whilst OUT…buy the NAPA jumper.  I think the solenoid is failing….and it will get worse. Having the $10 part and  knowing how to fix is invaluable. There is programming instructions and use of the AutoStart.  Bare in mind…you have the older and now obsolete 5 knob AGS and it was prone to failure….but it either works…or you get a new one.  I recall a topic where someone was gonna fix it… but no feedback, at least that I recall, on parts availability and/or success….

Flickering is only going to get worse.  Also NOT good for your AC’s nor W/D.  This is like a power company spike and you get surges and the PCB in each are NOT happy….

Way more to eliminate with a 15 minute and $10 fix a problem than can cost you big time.

The solenoids fail due to USE as in the contacts will arc and pit. $10 to bypass a way more expensive but srupid idea solenoid is a good deal.

Maybe the weather will change. Know exactly where you are…been there a few times….

I think I found the part you recommend.  Is this it?  I agree, I'd rather have it and not need it than the other way around.  I don't need that switch and never use it anyway, so getting rid of a potential problem sounds like a win for me.....

2CAAE412-4DBF-4084-891F-652A87D33214.png

OK;  I give up.  I took the cover off;  everything looked fine.  Had all power disconnected (DC and AC)  Sprayed a little contact cleaner;  checked the DC voltage all good  AC voltage all good.  Put it back together and gave it a try.  It stayed on for about 3- 4 minutes and "clicked off".  Tried it several times and same results.  So I know the transfer relays are probably shot and after reviewing Frank's video there is no way I am going to attempt to replace them myself ( if that is the problem).  And a repair would not be a  confidence builder.

Does anyone recommend a Magnum dealer that may be able to sell me a new one??  I think there is one in Oregon that I am going to search.  

Thanks for everyone's help, especially Tom and Frank, but as they say "it is what it is".  After 16 years I guess its time.

Bob L, 08 dynasty

Amazon has some models and sometimes in your cart will have a link to the product mfg that can give additional resources. I have found this product of high value, the owner's manual seems so complete for everyday use , sugestions on install, some trouble shooting when things may not be working right. When I chose to upgrade I kept the old unit for a off grid greenhouse/ mancave option. (still in planning stage) fans, lights 12 volt water pumps . When I installed the new inverter i shimmed the fan side up to help with heat because of partition in storage bin (Monoco installed) and added a vent into rear cap of MH to try and remove heat. I see heat and road vibration as possible future problem makers. 

inverter.jpg

4 hours ago, birdshill123 said:

Scott knight.  What make and model did you use?

I use a model 2812.  Found one at decent price from Don Rowe, LLc in oregon.  Expect it Monday.  Thanks,