New (To Us) 2016 Diplomat 43DF

1 hour ago, dl_racing427 said:

I don't know what you paid, but you seem to have a very good dealer, who is taking care of all the issues with your coach.
Sounds like you'll have a great experience, and have a relatively trouble-free coach when you take delivery.

Thanks David.   I do hope that the rest of the systems work well for a nice long time.   At least, we have some recent experience with our previous gas rig that we had to do some post COVID repairs on since it was a 2022, but had a few of those 'get it out the door regardless of quality' issues.

I'm hoping to be able to get with the previous owner and have them give me the 'real' deal on how to run this coach since he's local and is the original owner when he bought it new in 2016.

1 hour ago, dl_racing427 said:

I don't know what you paid, but you seem to have a very good dealer, who is taking care of all the issues with your coach.
Sounds like you'll have a great experience, and have a relatively trouble-free coach when you take delivery.

2 hours ago, dl_racing427 said:

Yeah, I tried to get my dealer to replace the boot's before I picked up the coach, but they turned me down!

Look's like the original's would have been about 6yrs old at that time.

As a follow up to my original post, I had the pleasure to speak with thprevious owner of our new rig this afternoon.   He gave me the 'low down' on this coach,  and his reason for selling (which he really didn't want to do, but with the loss of his wife, it was time to move on to something smaller).  

It was GREAT to hear his experience and history as being the original owner.   He gave me more confidence and we are more excited to get it, later this week or this upcoming weekend, and getting our first time to get out on the road.

Additionally, he told me that he would be more than happy to meet with me after we pick it up from the dealership and he will spend time with me going over all the systems and his suggestions of how he managed various functions.  He answered a lot of questions about my initial questions and what we can expect going forward.

I really hope that we truly found a nice diamond in the rough!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

So I just got a call from the dealer.   They are replacing the inverter and the motor for the front passenger slide.  Also, they have ordered a part for the front passenger seat extension since the foot rest won't fully retract.  They also ordered a water pump switch for the master bath since that one isn't working but the other two area (not a big concern for me, anyway).

Not an issue for us!  Yes, we are getting a bit antsy to get driving it, but I'd rather them replace the 'expensive' stuff before we pick it up.  We do have a walk through appointment for Saturday morning, so we'll see how that goes!  Fingers crossed!

Edited by Chuck-Kathy_Orlando
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2024 at 10:03 PM, Tom Cherry said:

You can replace the plug yourself.  Amazon has them.  Camco 50 Amp RV Plug.  You need Dow Corning Insulating Compound.  #4 or #5...memory.

The PLUG will be a accident waiting to happen.  It is the weak link. The terminals and cable are crimped.  Mine got a light tap (the strut pushed out the bay door). That hit the plug just right. I lost my NEUTRAL. You do NOT WANT AN OPEN NEUTRAL.  It will destroy every 120 VAC device. The voltage on each line will ramp up to over 175 VAC. One of our member spent over $20K on repairs.

The plug needs to be replaced and tightened down. LEAVE IT ALONE for a week or two or use it for a while. After a few times of being plugged in or "handled" or used, then retighten EVERY connection. Fill the cavity of the Plug with the Dow Insulating compound. IT will cure out and be better than the MOLDED one.

If the MH does NOT have an internal Surge Suppressor (your build sheet might list) then it is recommended that you have one installed.  I like the Progressive HW50C.  Older Technology..but works and you can do field repairs. There are NEWER styles and they are fancy and talk to your  phone.  Just a matter of being in business for 20 or so years versus new kids on the block.

Either WAY....you need or we recommend a SURGE Suppressor.  It will prevent brown outs and also make sure the CG pedestal is OK.

Any ISSUES with a line cord or PLUG....REPLACE THE PLUG

Hey Tom, I'm curious about the Dow Corning application in the plug.

Do you just fill the whole cavity?

14 minutes ago, RVerBob said:

Hey Tom, I'm curious about the Dow Corning application in the plug.

Do you just fill the whole cavity?

YEP.  Use the plug and let the terminals be used….no rush.  Then remove the single screw that holds the cover on.  Encapsulate the wires and terminals…or “fill it up until all the terminal screws and the bare wiring (ground excluded) are covered.  The last one I did, I was in a bind….and used “silly cone”.  Most GE silicones or other products are NOT potting or encapsulation compunds and folks state they actually will “allow moisture” to penetrate.  NOT GOOD.  However the Dow  Corning 4 Insulating compound is an encapsulant….and designed to seal out moisture.

That’s it….BTW.  Double tighten with all your might the terminals as this is the last time they will be easily assessable.  FWIW.  My emergency repair is over 7 years old….and has been outside all the time….at home or on the road or in storage (full time power).  No issues….but the DOW was designed for that…not the “sllly cone” I had laying around….

34 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

YEP.  Use the plug and let the terminals be used….no rush.  Then remove the single screw that holds the cover on.  Encapsulate the wires and terminals…or “fill it up until all the terminal screws and the bare wiring (ground excluded) are covered.  The last one I did, I was in a bind….and used “silly cone”.  Most GE silicones or other products are NOT potting or encapsulation compunds and folks state they actually will “allow moisture” to penetrate.  NOT GOOD.  However the Dow  Corning 4 Insulating compound is an encapsulant….and designed to seal out moisture.

That’s it….BTW.  Double tighten with all your might the terminals as this is the last time they will be easily assessable.  FWIW.  My emergency repair is over 7 years old….and has been outside all the time….at home or on the road or in storage (full time power).  No issues….but the DOW was designed for that…not the “sllly cone” I had laying around….

I had to replace the plug on my just traded 2022 Windsport.   I got the Camco plug with the DOW sealant.  It was an easy fix and it was WAY better than the OEM molded plug.

By the way, I was told that they have replaced the 50 amp cord on my rig and we are scheduled to pick it up on Saturday at 9:00.   My wife is super excited, but I am super nervous since I will be the driver and she will be going along for the ride!

57 minutes ago, Chuck-Kathy_Orlando said:

My wife is super excited, but I am super nervous since I will be the driver and she will be going along for the ride!

Sometimes it's the passenger that's super nervous.  Just ask my wife.

- bob