Need help 2008 Diplomat Headlight Replacement

I got Amazon headlights. Did not fit. Actually once you break off unnecessary tabs they bolt right up. Problem is they point so low the adjuster cannot make up the difference.  The LR adjuster was broken. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016J0O4VU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does anyone have a link to headlights that worked?

ALL i found was people with lot of fuse and headlight wiring problems

Thanks

R

2 hours ago, cbr046 said:

Can you space the mounting tabs with washers to lift the beam up?

- bob

Yes tried that, added a nut maybe quarter inch. Tried to adjust up from there. Still down 20"  Then the adjuster came loos inside the housing.

R

Rick,

I have a 2006 Dip - different headlights than your 2008, I’m sure, but my experience may be helpful to others. I tried a couple of different headlights - Amazon, TYC, etc… None of the aftermarket headlights worked, and typically had a similar issue to yours (the aim was too high or too low and could not be adjusted enough to aim properly.) After a substantial amount of reading on the subject,I broke down and purchased OEM GM headlights (1999 Buick Century). They were twice as expensive, but work very well and I have been able to aim them properly. 

Daniel Stern is a subject matter expert on headlights.  You can read more here: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

Also of note, I’ve read Monaco used TYC headlights as their OEM on Camelot and below coaches (that’s what my Dip came with, and they were junk). TYC is a knock-off aftermarket product, and the reflectors and adjusters are junk. Dynasties and above (Executive, Signature) typically came with car manufacturer OEM headlights, based on what I’ve heard and read (I’m sure our membership will correct me if I’m wrong on that point).  Those perform much better. 

So my recommendation is this:

1. Purchase OEM headlights. 
2. Aim them with halogen bulbs in them.  Lots of YouTube videos available on this. 
3. Then and only then use LED bulbs if you must. (They aren’t legal in the US or Canada unless your headlights were manufactured by the OEM car maker with them, but then running over things at night isn’t legal either)

OK, wow. So if yours are different I wonder what the OEM is for my 2008.  I use Silverstar bulbs in my home fleet. Thanks for the good advice. I have been buying the cheap headlamps for years for cars and never had a problem.

R

There’s a DOT code on your headlight lens that will help you determine what vehicle they are from. 

I think they are typically 6 digits 2 digits followed by a dash, then 4 digits. Here’s mine from the original headlights installed by Monaco (20-5197)

IMG_7665.thumb.jpeg.821fe8d772bcdb9246ceb3b950128c94.jpeg

Google that number and it’ll tell you what vehicle the headlights came from mine shows up as a 1997-2005 Buick Regal/Century.

From that you can find lots of choices (hopefully!)

30 minutes ago, Rheine said:

Unfortunately I broke a repairman's rule. Old headlights are gone.

R

No problem.  The replacements *should* have the same number.

Plan B - Ask another 2008 Diplomat owner for a close-up pic of their headlights. We have about 50 members with 2008 Diplomats…

Plan C - I believe they are  20-2633 (2002-2004 Dodge Ram pickup truck).  Google those and see what you can find.

@Steve Hepfer don’t you have a 2008 Dip?  Is 20-2633 the correct headlight (right side)?

Thank you. Not wanting to buy another set this is what I did. The adjuster for up down was unhooked inside the housing.  I glued the lamp in the highest position and the unit reinstalled.  It was just a little low so I put a spacer in the lower anchor point. All good.  BTW the drivers side was perfect after install without adjustment. Who knew.

R