Normal ONAN 12.5 kW Output

Go to solution Solved by Ivan K,

On my 2005 Signature, not connected to shore power, the electrical status screen shows the output of the generator at 2100W on L1 and 200W on L2 which strikes me as odd. Is this normal to have the L1 and L2 numbers so different? Additionally, a 12.5 kW generator only putting out 2300 watts seems low. Looking for comments on whether these numbers indicate a problem.

• Solution

Not an issue, it supplies whatever power for what you have hooked up to each line. If needed, up to its theoretical combined 12.5kw max, 50A each line so around 6kw each. Less load is easier on the windings.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Not an issue, it supplies whatever power for what you have hooked up to each line. If needed, up to its theoretical combined 12.5kw max, 50A each line so around 6kw each. Less load is easier on the windings.

To put it another way.  READ the manual.  You will NOTE that there are TWO Fuel Consumption numbers.  50% and FULL (100%).  What that means, is that the Genny is LOAD dependent.  It ONLY puts out or produces power for what the demand it.  

If you turn on an AC, you will hear the Genny increase (now I have the 8KW and it is a little different...but the concept is the same). SO, the output will be based on the LOAD.  Since the load varies, then the reading or the amps will vary.  As you know, Watts is Amps TIMES Volts.

Nothing is wrong.  If you are new to MHing and an Onan Genny....and this is ONLY FOR THE 220 VAC 10 KW and 12.5 KW...then you need to exercise or load up the Genny for around 30 minutes every few months. Running it at half or above FULL LOAD cleans the brushes.  If you just use it for small loads...like charging the batteries....that only pulls 10 or so amps on LINE line.  You need to look at the MAIN panel and note WHICH breakers are on Line 1 and Line 2.  THEN use them to get around a 25 Amp draw... EACH.  The Magnum and one AC will do that.  So, you need another 10 amp or so (assuming you have on an AC on the other line) to get the load.

This is important....and often comes up with GENNY is erratic.  Keep the brushes clean.  

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2024 at 6:57 PM, Steve Shunk said:

On my 2005 Signature, not connected to shore power, the electrical status screen shows the output of the generator at 2100W on L1 and 200W on L2 which strikes me as odd. Is this normal to have the L1 and L2 numbers so different? Additionally, a 12.5 kW generator only putting out 2300 watts seems low. Looking for comments on whether these numbers indicate a problem.

Your generator can produce up to just a little over 6 KW on AC Line 1 and 6 KW on Line 2 for a max total of 12.5 KW.  Lines 1 and 2 are out of phase just like shore power so the voltage between lines 1 and 2 is 240 volts.  In practice, either Line 1 or Line 2 can be anything between 0 all the way up to 6 KW.  It all depends on how much power you are using on each line.  High draw items are pretty evenly split between Lines 1 and 2 to balance the load but it's not perfect.  If either line gets much above 6 KW, you will likely trip either the 50 amp breaker at the main panel box in your coach or the breaker on the generator.  Monaco referred to lines 1 and 2 as A and B in their wiring diagrams and AC panel box. 

• Thanks 1