Carrier Air V

Go to solution Solved by lake49068,

Hi everyone,

I did a search on the carrier air V air conditioner replacement and do not see anything.  Searched on the internet and e trailer indicates an Advent model is a direct replacement.  The carrier air v has a wireless remote that also controls the furnace through the a/c unit.  Has any one sone this replacement?

2 hours ago, Rick Chambers said:

Hi everyone,

I did a search on the carrier air V air conditioner replacement and do not see anything.  Searched on the internet and e trailer indicates an Advent model is a direct replacement.  The carrier air v has a wireless remote that also controls the furnace through the a/c unit.  Has any one sone this replacement?

Could you expound a little…..

What AC are you going to replace? The standard Dometic that is an MPX data cable system that probably came in your rig?

What model is supposed to work in place of it.  Is Advent the Model name for a Carrier product.  A little confused….

Assume the Carrier Unit is supposed to control a furnace via some device or module.  Remember or maybe not aware.  The Dometic systems all depend on CLOSING the circuit….NO VOLTAGE on thermostat leads.  If this one is supposed to replace a previous Carrier and does not have a control module that is designed for a DRY CONTACT closure (make the circuit….furnace/AH on…open the circuit….the heat is OFF. All Carrier thermostats have been VOLTAGE to a FURNACE.  Ours do NOT LIKE that…and will not work…

There has not been, to my knowledge and I have probably read every HVAC post, a Carrier unit discussed here.

BUT….this may work.  We need to have the exact model number.  The wireless controller and the installation manual. IF there is a Carrier unit that WILL send a 12 VDC signal, as MOST ALL OTHER systems, including Carrier, do, then it might work.  One would have to install a Bosch relay and when the HEAT signal (12 VDC) was sent out….the relay would close,  the thermostat wires that the Furnace/AH need could be closed by the relay.

Get us some facts and references…then we can offer a comment….all this also depends on the unit working with the Monaco Ductwork and opening and drain system.

Thanks in advance for the information….

• Solution

Carrier stopped making RV roof AC units around 2011-13.  In my opinion it was an excellent product with 2 battery powered remotes that controlled both the cooling and  furnace...one for front one for rear.  Fast forward to 2021 and one of my units failed and I elected to replace both.  Carriers were no longer manufactured and Veurinks recommended Penguins with a new thermostat. Elected to go with 15K with heat pumps.  Not sure how Veurinks handled the wiring but the new new units worked great.  Let me know if you want part numbers, etc and I'll look for the invoice.   If you go this route make sure you get the cups that catch the condensation for routing to the built in drain hoses.

My 2009 Diplomat 41pdq currently has Carrier Air V air conditioner units, they are original equipment.  This unit also controls the propane furnace.  The remote for the Carrier has an option for the furnace as well , so the system in the Carrier activates the furnace and the temperature sensor is in the Carrier Air V.  The Carrier model is a 68RV0011KS.   The Advent unit is a direct replacement for the Carrier according to etrailer so my question is , has anyone replaced with the Advent. 

Adam H, thank you for your reply.  I am curious how big of a project was it to run the 12v line through the wall and ceiling to the air conditioner and to the propane furnace?

3 hours ago, Rick Chambers said:

My 2009 Diplomat 41pdq currently has Carrier Air V air conditioner units, they are original equipment.  This unit also controls the propane furnace.  The remote for the Carrier has an option for the furnace as well , so the system in the Carrier activates the furnace and the temperature sensor is in the Carrier Air V.  The Carrier model is a 68RV0011KS.   The Advent unit is a direct replacement for the Carrier according to etrailer so my question is , has anyone replaced with the Advent. 

Adam H, thank you for your reply.  I am curious how big of a project was it to run the 12v line through the wall and ceiling to the air conditioner and to the propane furnace?

WOW...  That is NEWS.  Sounds like....maybe there was a "Payables" issue with Dometic.  DId NOT know that Carrier was used OEM...LEARN SOMETHING NEW.

One WORD...  Running the 12 VDC line is NOT what is needed.  All you need, assuming...and this is NOW a MYSTERY...  WHAT SIGNAL DO YOU NEED.

We TYPICALLY know and are correct that the AquaHot's and the Furnaces used were DRY CONTACTS.  Only two wires.  The HVAC Controller would make the circuit...think WIRENUTTING the two wires.  That was ALL or more correctly EXACTLY what the Atwoods and Aquahot's USE or NEED.  NO 12 VDC.  They DO NOT LIKE IT....to say the least.

NOW....if the Furnaces or Aquahot NEEDS a dry set of contacts...there are TWO ways...and Monaco was creative.  They would put a 12 VDC relay in the Plenum...  Then if (and that is a BIG IF) the Carrier was like MOST CARRIERS, then when the HEAT was needed...the Carrier Control Module sent out a 12 VDC signal (Positive and Ground). The simple fix.  Add a RELAY.  When the Carrier 12 VDC signal was made...the relay closed.  THEN the NORMAL (as in how the Monaco Harnesses were made, TWO "BLUE" wires or the DRY leads...the relay was just like the Dometic signal.  CLOSE A CIRCUIT.  That would work.

DITTO if you did power the TWO wires that go from the plenum to the furnace.  You could put the Relay at the furnace...  All you need is a set of DRY contacts on a relay.

That's my logic.  If anyone has info...please post this.  

1 hour ago, Rick Chambers said:

Tom,

So so if I buy an a/c unit that requires a wire to go from the a/c to the a wall thermostat, what is the voltage if not 12 volt?  

NO VOLTAGE.  The two wires from EITHER the Furnace (Atwood) or Aquahot are the SAME.  You do NOT feed nor send voltage of any SHAPE, form, or fashion.

The Dometic Thermostat only “tells” the control unit that it needs HEAT.  So, all the control unit does…it is like a FLIPPING on a light switch.  All the control module does is connect or make a circuit between the two wires.  There is NO VOLTAGE needed.  The Atwood and Aquahot does NOT NEED nor will it work with ANY voltage carrying wires.

That is misunderstood and the failures of using a different system are based on that.  

You could run the two wires from the AquaHot or the Atwood into the Motor Home.  Put a common “light switch” on the wall.  You want heat,,,,turn on the switch…like you do for light.  Too hot….turn OFF the switch.  The “troubleshooting method” for testing the furnace or a zone on the Aquahot…. Take a bent paper clip. Jumper the two screw terminals.  It COMES ON (or there is a problem with the unit).

Thanks for letting that be explained again….it does confuse folks that don’t fully understand how they work and then don’t keep the Dometic Control Module and the Thermostat circuit intact.

Hope this helps and clarifies it…

• Like 1