Upgrade to electric patio awning

Go to solution Solved by 96 EVO,

I have a 2002 diplomat with a kitchen slide on my patio side.  I’m looking to replace my manual awning with an electric awning but need to make sure it will mount and work with the slide that is only a few inches below the upper beltline.  Has anyone installed an electric awning ?

2 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Carefree Eclipse should go over your slide.

Mine does!

Maybe I am WRONG.  The Eclipse is a SLIDE MOUNTED awning.  It is a scissors mechanism.  It is NOT BOLTED or Attached to the roof.

NOW, on the Camelots…and also the Carefree website, the ROOF MOUNTED, which extends OVER and past the slide is an APEX.  This is the OEM version.  Carefree makes a “retail” unit.  But, it is hard to figure our the name.  It may be FREEDOM.

The APEX is a GIRARD Clone or knock off.  It bolts to the roof.  It extends out with two BIG arms….think your elbow.  As the Apex extend, each side arm opens up….like yiur elbow would if put your fist or hand on your throat (Adam’s Apple) then extended your fist or arm straight out….your elbow straightens.

NOW a Girard or an Apex does NOT go exavtly horizontally….it drops a little.  It will clear the extended slide by may 6 - 8”…. LOOKS LIKE IT WILL HIT….but doesn’t.

NOW…..practically speaking….i rarely use mine.  You can’t secure it or tether it down.  It took two different dealer, finally one that worked on Girards, to get it properly adjusted.  It also is way more prone to UPLIFTS and wind damage.  I camped with two guys that had new 2008 Navigators.  They had side by side Girards, I think….a storm blew up quickly.  Those two awnings looked like they were flapping up and down….they panicked and barely got them in.  I can’t get as much shade from mine as I did with an ancient Winnie gasser that had a manual roll down/up awning with side arms.

Carefree will want to know the height of your extended slide….the length, as in how far the top edge is from the side wall and the width yoh want.

They can then tell you which model ROOF awning you want….

Start here….follow the links.  Look at the APEX to understand how a Girard works…

https://carefreeofcolorado.com/rv-products/rv-motor-home/

19 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

I have a Carefree Eclipse, mounted to the roof, and sidewalls, that goes over my front passenger side slide.

It's 21' long, and my slide is only about 16'.

Ben,

Maybe you are calling something different.  The ECLIPSE is a WALL MOUNTED Awning...or at least that is what Carefree calls it.  The Apex is the roof.

Here are TWO photos of the Apex Awning.  One extended and the other retracted.

In your 2008 Sales Brochure, the text said PATIO awning.  Monaco said ECLIPSE.  Then in 2009, the Septer's brochure was updated with ECLIPSE.

Exactly WHICH do you have...the ROOF mount or the SIDEWALL (with Tracks) mount.  IF ROOF, it APEX.  Sidewall is Eclipse.

see the attached.

2009 Camelot Apex retracted.jpg

2008 Monaco Camelot Carefree Apex Awning.jpg

2008 Camelot Sales brochure.pdf 2009 Scepter Awning Brochure.pdf

All the replies so far are from owners with the newer roof line that may not mirror Rgoodman's 2003 coach roof line.  A big change was made sometime post 2003 (I think) from the older body style like my long gone 1998 Endeavor.  Monaco/HR "raised the roof" sometime during this period that may impact awning selection and installation.  

42 minutes ago, lake49068 said:

All the replies so far are from owners with the newer roof line that may not mirror Rgoodman's 2003 coach roof line.  A big change was made sometime post 2003 (I think) from the older body style like my long gone 1998 Endeavor.  Monaco/HR "raised the roof" sometime during this period that may impact awning selection and installation.  

Good point.  The discussion was the “model” and that was in error and has been clarifed as well as they type.  The ORIGINAL discussion was “electric”….presumably, but maybe INCORRECTLY” as wanting a roof mounted awning.

SO…that is cleared up.  

YES…., things change.  So….to cover the bases and provide more information….

The Eclipse is mounted on the sidewall,  Monaco BLEW IT.  We have had more….”Eclipse don’t work” topics than I can count.  Issues with the awning and the electronics and also a major revision by Carefree….to fix a shoddy control module and other things.  

BUT…Monaco was even more “DUMB”. The most common complain….it moves slow…it binds…it…whatever. Many well versed (electrically) members all reached the same conclusion.  Monaco UNDERSIZED the wiring to the motor.  One additional size would have been needed.  BUT the harness for that is EMBEDDED inside the sidewall.  Short of using a nibbler tool and cutting a gash up the entire sidewall….no one has come up with a fix,  folks replaced controllers and motors.  NOW, that is a bit of a blanket….so specifically…. The Camelots and Scepters with the larger Eclipse sidewall mounted (on the slide) awnings have been less than reliable.

I THINK this was also used on other models and such….it stands to reason, like the bigger slide on them, wider and more awning….bigger motor needed….more chance of binding.

SO, your point is well taken….the APEX or other Girard ON THE ROOF awnings use 120 VC.  No issues with voltage.  But they are bigger and more prone to needing periodic adjustments and I THINK.l.more susceptible to damage.  A Camelot owner (2009) had to replace both arms.  The insurance paid for it as “wind damage”.  Over $3,500 and that was 13 years ago…

Hope this provides more information as was requested.  NEVER order or retrofit a device (like an awning) without contacting the manufacturer.

Now HOW you get power from the MH, NOT wired or having power INSIDE the Sidewall for a wall mounted Eclipse…. haven’t a clue….ask Carefree or an authorized and reputable Carefree dealer/installer.

2 hours ago, lake49068 said:

True enough, they did increase roof height about '06, but I think they increased the height of the slides at the same time.

I haven't measured, but my slide roof is only a couple of inches from the belt line!

On 6/27/2024 at 3:00 PM, Tom Cherry said:

Ben,

Maybe you are calling something different.  The ECLIPSE is a WALL MOUNTED Awning...or at least that is what Carefree calls it.  The Apex is the roof.

Here are TWO photos of the Apex Awning.  One extended and the other retracted.

In your 2008 Sales Brochure, the text said PATIO awning.  Monaco said ECLIPSE.  Then in 2009, the Septer's brochure was updated with ECLIPSE.

Exactly WHICH do you have...the ROOF mount or the SIDEWALL (with Tracks) mount.  IF ROOF, it APEX.  Sidewall is Eclipse.

see the attached.

2009 Camelot Apex retracted.jpg

2008 Monaco Camelot Carefree Apex Awning.jpg

2008 Camelot Sales brochure.pdf 274.51 kB · 1 download 2009 Scepter Awning Brochure.pdf 1.31 MB · 0 downloads

That's a Girard awning.

OK... Now curiosity...as that is how we learn and help others.

The Eclipse is a WALL mounted and will be on your SLIDE like it is used on other models...and I THINK that some later Diplomats also had them.  IS that correct?

How does Carefree suggest you get power. I do not (but often WRONG) think that there is a prewired harness for an awning as well as a controller.  So what is the Drill or Install to get power.  The SLIDE, assuming you are going to put it on the slide, has an umbilical and you will have to run main power to the slide.  IS that correct?

I can NOT recall is there is a weatherproof control or outside switch for it.  I DO remember that there is access to the motor as when they don't work or run very slowly, the techs have a drill battery adapter that they plug in or jumper.  Where will the Extend/Retract button be located?

Will you have an INTERIOR Remote, like, again, I think, that the OEM Eclipse's had on most models? Is so, what is Carefree's recommendations for running power from a slide into the MH?

Thanks in advance...

26 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

OK... Now curiosity...as that is how we learn and help others.

The Eclipse is a WALL mounted and will be on your SLIDE like it is used on other models...and I THINK that some later Diplomats also had them.  IS that correct?

How does Carefree suggest you get power. I do not (but often WRONG) think that there is a prewired harness for an awning as well as a controller.  So what is the Drill or Install to get power.  The SLIDE, assuming you are going to put it on the slide, has an umbilical and you will have to run main power to the slide.  IS that correct?

I can NOT recall is there is a weatherproof control or outside switch for it.  I DO remember that there is access to the motor as when they don't work or run very slowly, the techs have a drill battery adapter that they plug in or jumper.  Where will the Extend/Retract button be located?

Will you have an INTERIOR Remote, like, again, I think, that the OEM Eclipse's had on most models? Is so, what is Carefree's recommendations for running power from a slide into the MH?

Thanks in advance...

The Eclipse mounts on the MH side wall just like the manual awning.  I could actually use the same tube and fabric.  I will have to provide the power and most likely will run it under the camper and come up through to the wall and mount a switch to operate it.  

13 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Does Carefree supply the aluminum plate that screws to the roof?

Wasn't sure if Monaco made that piece or not.

If you are talking about the piece on the beltline with the groove that the fabric mounts to, I’m pretty sure it is standard for the manufacturer to install that piece when camper is built

On 6/27/2024 at 9:01 AM, Rgoodman said:

I have a 2002 diplomat with a kitchen slide on my patio side.  I’m looking to replace my manual awning with an electric awning but need to make sure it will mount and work with the slide that is only a few inches below the upper beltline.  Has anyone installed an electric awning ?

I’m sure I’m in the minority here and I don’t think anyone asked: why do you want to replace your manual awning? Our 2005 has the Carefree Eclipse and I wish we had the manual one we had on our old Sportscoach.  Personally I don’t trust it; Will it roll out, will it roll up, what if the switch/motor fails, do I have to rewire it because the wiring is the wrong gauge, getting windy better hope it goes in, boy I wish it was more shade providing? 🤷With our manual one all I really had to worry about was where is the pull rod, which way to flip that darn latch—is it away from me or towards me to retract it, and watch out for the support arms getting a beer out of the cooler. 😂Not judging, just curious.

3 minutes ago, Bobkat11208 said:

I’m sure I’m in the minority here and I don’t think anyone asked: why do you want to replace your manual awning? Our 2005 has the Carefree Eclipse and I wish we had the manual one we had on our old Sportscoach.  Personally I don’t trust it; Will it roll out, will it roll up, what if the switch/motor fails, do I have to rewire it because the wiring is the wrong gauge, getting windy better hope it goes in, boy I wish it was more shade providing? 🤷With our manual one all I really had to worry about was where is the pull rod, which way to flip that darn latch—is it away from me or towards me to retract it, and watch out for the support arms getting a beer out of the cooler. 😂Not judging, just curious.

At times I agree!

The Eclipse is quite short, and can't be sloped much if it has to go over a slide.

It is convenient to deploy and stow, and no chance of knocking yourself out on your way to the cooler!

26 minutes ago, Bobkat11208 said:

What if you have your rod but the pull loop rotted?  You better also have a ladder.  😂😂.   I want it for the ease of use.  I’m ok with replacing what may tear up cause the manual one has had problems also.   Although I would love to live in it and be retired I am not.  In the fall we will be out for 5 weeks/ 7500 miles and several one night stops.  My awning requires a rod, and a ladder because it needs help going out and in (tube is warped).  I thought if I’m replacing it an electric one would be nice for an overnight stay- in and out with the push of a button.  Unfortunately the eclipse set up is too expensive ($3,500) so for now I will keep doing what I’m doing 

2 minutes ago, Rgoodman said:

What if you have your rod but the pull loop rotted?  You better also have a ladder.  😂😂.   I want it for the ease of use.  I’m ok with replacing what may tear up cause the manual one has had problems also.   Although I would love to live in it and be retired I am not.  In the fall we will be out for 5 weeks/ 7500 miles and several one night stops.  My awning requires a rod, and a ladder because it needs help going out and in (tube is warped).  I thought if I’m replacing it an electric one would be nice for an overnight stay- in and out with the push of a button.  Unfortunately the eclipse set up is too expensive ($3,500) so for now I will keep doing what I’m doing 

$3500? Yikes! Just out of curiosity, how much for a new manual? Asking for a friend.  😂