Unused wiring pigtails, 2003 Dynasty

Hi all,

As I contemplate adding a fuel pressure gauge in the dash of this 2003 Dynasty, I'm investigating two unused wiring pigtails that have been staring me in the face every time I look at the engine. These were both bundled and zip-tied just beside the driver-side run-box and appear to be part of the factory harness.

These are both on the driver side of the engine compartment, and run into the harness along the left side of the engine cradle and both appear to run forward.

One is a looped pair of white and black 12ga wires, and the other is 10ga red and black with 12ga yellow and black.

The two plugs in the picture don't appear to be related to these pigtails, and neither plug is numbered unfortunately.

So, I was hoping to find some tribal knowledge about these before brute-force tracing them.

If anybody knows what the connector numbers are/should be for those two unmarked connectors, I might be able to find them in the wiring diagrams.

Thanks!

Walter

2wire.jpg

4-wire.jpg

Edited by wamcneil

Before you ping or tone or chase….what do your prints say. The shamans of the tribe are a moody bunch….if one doesn’t chime in, you’re on your own…

I’d figue out which are ground.  Then check to see if there is voltage on the rest when parked, on AC or engine/switch on.

BUT…also be aware…they may have been for an engine that you don’t have.  They may be for an option or feature you don’t have.

I have a  Camelot.  Turns out one of the MAIN chassis harnesses similar to yours and in the SAME PLACE….be a UNIVERSAL.  So, my rig and the upper end Dynasty/above have the same “wires”.  OK…no BIG DEAL….OH YES IT IS.  One of the UNUSED wires was a REAR DOOR OPEN Wire.  So, if I had a Dynasty, there would be a switch.  If the door was open there would be a GROUND signal from the switch.  That wire also would get a GROUND signal from any BAY door that was open.

THEN one day…I casually moved the bundle.  Not beat it with a hammer, just used my hand and pulled it over for access.  OMG. When I turned on the engine….all hades broke loose.  Had an ear piercing alarm and a LIGHT on the dash.  OPEN….

Called Monaco…they said….you have a door or bay OPEN.  I said NO…then they said the switch says you do…then I says….there ain’t a switch on any bay or rear or genny.  OH YES THERE IS.  FINE….Look on my prints.  MUMBLE.  WELL, there ain’t none on the prints…you MUST have switches…..finally…back and forth and convinced “Jim” that I DID know what micro or jamb switch looked like….he conceded….it ain’t a switch problem….

OK….what be it?  You got a chafed wire.  Now wait a minute…why would Monaco put in a “needs ground” to activate an alarm and “LIGHT” wire???? WHEN there ain’t no sensors and WHY is it hooked up.  Plot thickens.  Jim consults…OK…the Dynasty and Camelot (maybe Diplomat) had the same harness….cheaper to have all of them the same.  That way, the assemblers don’t have to THINK…a direct quote.

HOW FIX.??  Chase the wire.  Find where it is chaffed and shorting out to ground….HOW….don’t ask us….good bye.

SO…I then called Medallion…who made the gauge package.  They sent a print.  YES…IDIOT lights and such were the SAME as a Dynasty.  Therefore, the infamous “chaffed and grounded” wire was indeed….hooked up as it was in the harness..  Their print told me WHICH wire. So…since NO switch to ground….it would never come on….EXCEPT if Monaco goofed and it got chaffed…it was in full alarm mode.

I COULD cut the wire at the front pigtail.  OR, slightly and gently move and tug and see if I could get the harness in a position so the bare portion was NOT grounded.  2010.  Fixed it…never acted up again. I did, one time look for the pin…and Monaco, IIRC, never bothered to show all the wires in the harness….just the ones USED…so, no record or documentation on my “spare wire”.

THUS…rhe joys of a MH…and many of us have tales….unless someone with the same MH has been curious….I’m not holding my breath on an answer….BUT….YOU NEVER KNOW…

3 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Before you ping or tone or chase….what do your prints say. The shamans of the tribe are a moody bunch….if one doesn’t chime in, you’re on your own…

I’d figue out which are ground.  Then check to see if there is voltage on the rest when parked, on AC or engine/switch on.

Well…  haven’t pierced the insulation on the looped pair yet… but on the four wires: none are ground and none are powered, even with ignition on. 
Seems like the looped pair might be for an engine cover pin switch, but the colors don’t match the diagram. 
I spent a hour earlier browsing through wiring diagrams… But without knowing what they are connected to, or would/should be used for, I have little hope of finding them in the wiring diagrams. 

Thanks. Found the thread. 
I’ll poke around behind the dash and put a tone generator on it and see if luck is on my side. 
Previous attempt at tracing with the tone generator didn’t go well. The signal just spread out all over the place. Pretty much everywhere EXCEPT where I eventually found the wires I was looking for…🤦