steps retract but motor won't stop running

My limited experience with a Lippert I worked on once was that it had a built in load sensor I believe that shut it down both ways. That’s how it would stop if you opened it up against a curb before it was fully extended.

Edited by tmw188

On my steps, I found the central post that the gears pivoted on was slightly canted from being loose. I need to disassemble the motor and gear plate and reassemble after inspecting the gears.

I believe you have one of:

A broken tooth on the gear plate

A loose mechanism so when the steps come in, the gears are not well engaged (so the motor never senses the steps have hit the stop and the motor keeps spinning.)

Either way, I think you should safely out of the way of the stair mechanism, record with your phone or look at the steps through several openings/closings. Look at the central bolt to see if it twists or changes it's angle during the process.

After that you would need to take apart the step retraction part of the assembly to look at the gear plate (this will be the plate the motor gears engage with that is forced to rotate and has a rod attached to it to move the steps in and out) 

If you heard clicking in the past when your steps came in, that would be the gear plate/motor drive gear being out of good contact and the gears slipping (that would make it worse as it would grind the gear plate/ motor gear against each other decreasing their area of contact)

You can find YouTube vids on this. When you take it apart, be aware there are spacers (don't lose them)

In the meantime, disconnect your controller to cut power to the motor. You should do that before working on the steps anyway!

This is  a not hard you could need a new gear plate, motor or neither, only inspection can tell for sure.

Thanks for the replies guys.  Here's what I've found so far.  The steps retract all the way in.  The gear plate rotates as far as it can go and is meshing with the motor gear all the way around.  Once the step reaches the end of it's travel inward, the gear plate is at it's very last tooth and the motor continues to run which then causes the gear plate and motor gear to ratchet/slip over each other.  I spoke with a tech service guy at Lippert, and he said that the motor needs to be replaced.  Apparently there is a nylon gear inside of the motor gear case that wears out and when that happens the step controller can't sense a change in the current draw and therefore it doesn't tell the motor to stop running.   So, I have ordered a new motor from E-Trailer.  I will give an update after installing the new motor.  By the way, Lippert wanted $358.95 for a new motor.  Amazon had a new Lippert motor for $188.00 and several Chinese knockoffs for $35.00.  I ended up buying from E-Trailer for $265.87 which included the cost of 2 day UPS shipping.  Amazon didn't have a 2-day shipping option.  

4 minutes ago, snoracer said:

Thanks for the replies guys.  Here's what I've found so far.  The steps retract all the way in.  The gear plate rotates as far as it can go and is meshing with the motor gear all the way around.  Once the step reaches the end of it's travel inward, the gear plate is at it's very last tooth and the motor continues to run which then causes the gear plate and motor gear to ratchet/slip over each other.  I spoke with a tech service guy at Lippert, and he said that the motor needs to be replaced.  Apparently there is a nylon gear inside of the motor gear case that wears out and when that happens the step controller can't sense a change in the current draw and therefore it doesn't tell the motor to stop running.   So, I have ordered a new motor from E-Trailer.  I will give an update after installing the new motor.  By the way, Lippert wanted $358.95 for a new motor.  Amazon had a new Lippert motor for $188.00 and several Chinese knockoffs for $35.00.  I ended up buying from E-Trailer for $265.87 which included the cost of 2 day UPS shipping.  Amazon didn't have a 2-day shipping option.  

You MAY have this.  IF NOT, it is in our files.  THE QUICK and EASY troubleshooting guide. Basically, there is a CURRENT limiting circuit...don't think Limit switches, which is common on a Power Window Regulator (Motor).  That is ALL that is.  If the nylon gear dies...and that is usually the issue....REPLACE THE MOTOR.

If the motor failed in the extend direction, there is a high probability of a FALL....not good for folks that are over certain ages.  I am a retired Safety Director and FALLS was a major issue for our more "maturing" work force. My motor failed when my 100 pound teenage GD stepped on the step...it retracted. She was agile and spry.  Had it been her "older" grandmother, then it would have been an ER visit and perhaps surgery.  I can NOT emphasize HOW MUCH DANGER there is for anyone over say 40 or so that steps IN and OUT of a motor home...it the "locked out" step collapses....

Let us know how it works out.  YOU MAY have to do a little "circular file" work on the mounting holes of the motors....but do VERY LITTLE...

Lippert Coachstep.pdf