2008 HR Imperial Valid Air Leveling front right corner leaks down

Go to solution Solved by DarrenD,

Hello everyone!

I'm having an issue with my air leveling leaking down on the front right causing the coach to lean excessively. It doesn't matter if I use AUTO or manual level, after just a few minutes, the right front leans a lot.  When this started, I thought no problem, I'll rebuild the air leveling manifold just as I did the rear manifold when it started acting up using the instructions on this forum. The manifold was dirty and the old red stoppers were a bit brittle. All cleaned up and reinstalled, ready to test it out. Much to my dismay, the coach still leaned to the right minutes after leveling. I went back under with the soapy water, found a few bubbles on the manifold fittings and fixed them. Still will not hold the coach level. As a troubleshooting thought, I swapped the left and right air lines on the manifold. I had to level the coach manually as the computer was confused. After a few minutes, much to my surprise, the same RIGHT side began to leak down. I believe this eliminates the manifold as the issue. After all of that, I swapped the air lines back to the normal position and called it a night. 

Can some one point me in a direction to check tomorrow? I did spray some soapy water around the bags but didn't see anything. I also don't hear any air leaking which is strange since the coach starts leaning so quickly. If it was a bad bag, since there are two would it lean so excessively? I've read that the braided hoses that run from the ping tank to the bags could be suspect, I'll check those tomorrow.   This is very frustrating, any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks-

Darren

8 hours ago, DarrenD said:

Hello everyone!

I'm having an issue with my air leveling leaking down on the front right causing the coach to lean excessively. It doesn't matter if I use AUTO or manual level, after just a few minutes, the right front leans a lot.  When this started, I thought no problem, I'll rebuild the air leveling manifold just as I did the rear manifold when it started acting up using the instructions on this forum. The manifold was dirty and the old red stoppers were a bit brittle. All cleaned up and reinstalled, ready to test it out. Much to my dismay, the coach still leaned to the right minutes after leveling. I went back under with the soapy water, found a few bubbles on the manifold fittings and fixed them. Still will not hold the coach level. As a troubleshooting thought, I swapped the left and right air lines on the manifold. I had to level the coach manually as the computer was confused. After a few minutes, much to my surprise, the same RIGHT side began to leak down. I believe this eliminates the manifold as the issue. After all of that, I swapped the air lines back to the normal position and called it a night. 

Can some one point me in a direction to check tomorrow? I did spray some soapy water around the bags but didn't see anything. I also don't hear any air leaking which is strange since the coach starts leaning so quickly. If it was a bad bag, since there are two would it lean so excessively? I've read that the braided hoses that run from the ping tank to the bags could be suspect, I'll check those tomorrow.   This is very frustrating, any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks-

Darren

You are on the right track.  With a soapy spray bottle, soak the two braided air lines to the ping tank and the air bags.  Also carefully inspect the air line going to the ping tank.  I'm sure you'll find the leak.

• Solution

Found the leak. It was in the braided hose from the ping tank to the right front airbag. I had checked the fittings the day prior and no bubbles. With the advice of Frank I sprayed the actual hose and there was a significant leak just past the fitting. Strange the hose would develop a leak there.

I went to O’Riley and had a new hose made. The hose is designated as hydraulic hose but it works perfect. O’Riley had the proper fittings on hand. 

Back in business… no more lean. 

IMG_1966.jpeg

Edited by DarrenD
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DarrenD said:

Found the leak. It was in the braided hose from the ping tank to the right front airbag. I had checked the fittings the day prior and no bubbles. With the advice of Frank I sprayed the actual hose and there was a significant leak just past the fitting. Strange the hose would develop a leak there.

I went to O’Riley and had a new hose made. The hose is designated as hydraulic hose but it works perfect. O’Riley had the proper fittings on hand. 

Back in business… no more lean. 

IMG_1966.jpeg

Thank you for posting the solution.  Over the years I've seen a number of posts with braided air lines going between the front air bags to the ping tank failing just like what happened in your case. 

I'm sure others will learn from your experience and check those braided lines when searching for air leaks.

• Thanks 1

So finally climbed under the coach today to try and find my air leak.  Within minutes of turning the coach off it leans to the curb side.  Start it back up and it levels out.  I sprayed several things in the rear and it appears I see some bubbles, but nothing really glaring that would cause it to leak that quickly.  Posting a picture of what I've found so far.  Identification of these would be very helpful as I don't know what I'm looking at, however I can tell that the lines in the top left go to the brakes.

The lines running to the air bags are covered with plastic protective wrap like is on the electrical wires so I can't really spray and see them.  I sprayed the ping tank and don't see much in the way of leaks either.  It really seems like I should be able to hear an air leak as it happens fairly quickly, but all I hear is a sound that sounds like it settling about every 10-15 seconds.  Any suggestions?

Air lines.jpg

Try spraying down the whole large braided hoses going from the ping tank to the airbags on the front PS and the two PS air bags.

Also check the vent on the air valve assembly for the front axle.  It could be a leaking PS front valve causing air to be vented.