Kongsberg or not?

I am in the process of buying a 2009 Scepter KFQ. The panel in the front run bay is Mega Tech of Oregon but in the bath cabinet it has Intellitec boxes. Is this a Kongsberg system or a hybrid. Everything is working as it should. I'm just trying to learn what I'm getting into. Previous owner swears he's had no issues in his nine years of ownership.

I am also curious at the lack of current posts about Kongsberg system. Am I missing something??

1 hour ago, JerryW said:

I am in the process of buying a 2009 Scepter KFQ. The panel in the front run bay is Mega Tech of Oregon but in the bath cabinet it has Intellitec boxes. Is this a Kongsberg system or a hybrid. Everything is working as it should. I'm just trying to learn what I'm getting into. Previous owner swears he's had no issues in his nine years of ownership.

I am also curious at the lack of current posts about Kongsberg system. Am I missing something??

SIMPLE ANSWER.  The Scepter/Camelot are TWINS.  NOTE that I OWN one.  SO, this one will be identical to mine.

Here is the DIFFERENCES...and you can go to MonacoCoach.Com and download the Sales Brochure or you can GOOGLE Holiday Rambler Manuals and download BOTH the Scepter manual and sales brochure. I URGE you to do that.  That will be your bible.  I use my E Manual to use the Adobe Search and look up things. 

NOW...  The Kongsberg was ONLY used on the Dynasty....so get that out of your thinking...  

Here is what you have.  You have a slightly (some say a LOT) lower luxury that the Dynasty.  BUT, if you had the 2009, you would have had the Kongsberg...a WONDERFUL TRADE OFF>.. IMHO.

Point by POINT.

The AC's in each are identical.  You have a little less complex Aquahot.  More than adequate for me.  The BURNER assembly is the same.  The control boards are, I think, different.  BUT way more than nice and adequate.  You can heat it easily.  The AH will need servicing just due to age unless the Previous Owner (PO is what folks use) had it serviced...  The AC controls are identical.

Hydraulic slide system is different.  You have a LIPPERT...the Dynasty has an HWH.  Many were full hydraulic. There is a Motorized (Rack and Pinion) Lippert unit on the Bed. The Short bedroom Slide is an ACCUSLIDE - 8 cable.

The INTELLITEC looks the same....YES and NO. We have the HYBRID.  The Dynasty has a FULL CPU (Central Processing Unit). That can be programmed so that if you were dropping down a TV from the ceiling that all the switches and slides and NOT moving were part of a simple (YES) computer circuit. We do NOT have a PROGRAMMABLE CPU.  Ours has a small CLOCK or the NON PROGRAMMED Controller.  The Dynasty has 5 or 6 or maybe MORE Intellitec Output Modules.  I can hold my own with ours...  The logic and the programming and the various inputs and outputs of the bigger CPU take a whole higher level and I am OK...but not the expert. NOW the KEY PADS or lighted switches are IDENTICAL.  I am perfectly happy to give up the CPU and have a simpler system.  Others... NOT...BUT this is the ONLY NON Dynasty level that even has the REALLY NICE Intellitec system...

Some of the 09 Dynasty had a larger engine.  BUT the same 425 ISL was used as standard in both. The Scepter, unless it was a late year end, does NOT have the Jacob's 2 or 3 stage INTAKE Brake or the JAKE.  The Scepter has the Cummins VGT.  Actually the Dynasty has both an exhaust and an intake brake. I have almost 70 K on mine (bought new). I have done the I70W  Isenhower pass west of Denver. As long as you KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING and use Common Sense....the VGT is adequate.  YES...the Jacobs is better. IF I were only going to travel in the west in the ROCKIES and always UP and DOWN, I'd spend the $4K and have the Jacobs ADDED.  YES, it can be added and is really NOT that big a deal. You do NOT have to pull the head, you just order the additional parts and the switches and incorporate it...BUT, the VGT exhaust brake is good.  What I JUST wrote was what the Cummins Tech Support tech told me...before I bought it...

The interiors are about the same...except, obviously, the $100K or more MSRP gave you a little more luxury inside.  Water system is fancier...but they both work...

If you have the OEM Dometic 1402, I'd consider putting in the Samsung Residential Refrigerator.  I waited 8 years....WHY DID I NOT DO THIS.  We have lots of info on how to PROPERLY do it.  The inverter was a big larger in the Dynasty...but the 2000 Pure Sine Wave inverter is fine...

STEERING and HANDLING.  The tag axle will give you better feel and control.  That is a simple fact. I tightened up the suspension on mine. Added, MYSELF, a WATTS LINK.  Some have it....all LOVE IT.  But, it DOES take some of the OVERSTEER (the power steering is too touchy) and it reduces Driver Fatigue.  COST is maybe $1,000 and I did it with hand tools on a concrete pad .  NO JACKS...

The SHOCKS, if OEM are CRAP. I replaced mine at 20K.  WAS LIKE riding a boat....I recommend the SOURCE Engineering shocks.  Koni's are almost as good, but NOT AS GOOD...and they are price competitive.  SHOCKS improve the quality (UP and DOWN) of the ride not how it "handles" Source Shocks were specifically DESIGNED for the Roadmaster Chassis.  The stock Bilsteins are way down the food chain compared to the Koni's...and the Source is up several rungs over them.

The Tranny is the same... Allison MH3000....the engine and cooling are the same...as is the steering.  EXCEPT that SOME Dynasties have the Shepherd Box.  The Camelot has the more preferable TRW....and many folks have changed the boxes.  There is NO TRW that will work in Certain Dynasties...later models

That's about it.  I had the opportunity to buy a NEW Dynasty for only $50K (BOTH WERE NEW) more. I did not want to spend that much more for a MH.  I am pleased and would make that decision again.

BTW... I KNOW that the Scepter's electrical system is BETTER...and some will laugh. It is simple and OLD fashioned. The Dynasty has 20 odd or more PROPRIETARY boards, made custom, I think, for Monaco.  YES, they are fairly reliable and we are FORTUNATE.  We have TWO members that can repair them....

BUT, I can, with my background more easily troubleshoot and fix or help folks on the Scepters.... I YIELD to the experts on the Dynasty...but I can help with the SIMPLE trouble shooting.  SO, I like mine better.  BUT OTHERS like the Dynasty....

That's about it... 

• Like 2

Thanks Tom. You just took a load off my mind. I don't want to be subjected to the prospect of a "no parts available" scenario. We have been RVing since 1964. I have owned 2 Safaris, 4 Sigs, a Marquis and 2 Dynasty's and a Mountain Aire. I appreciate the differences of the two, Dynasty and Scepter, but like you, don't really want to spend the extra bucks. This particular Scepter is probably the best condition of any 15 year old coach I've ever seen. 108K miles and it's super smooth. Thanks again for your input. I'm sure we'll be posting again in the future.

Just now, JerryW said:

Thanks Tom. You just took a load off my mind. I don't want to be subjected to the prospect of a "no parts available" scenario. We have been RVing since 1964. I have owned 2 Safaris, 4 Sigs, a Marquis and 2 Dynasty's and a Mountain Aire. I appreciate the differences of the two, Dynasty and Scepter, but like you, don't really want to spend the extra bucks. This particular Scepter is probably the best condition of any 15 year old coach I've ever seen. 108K miles and it's super smooth. Thanks again for your input. I'm sure we'll be posting again in the future.

Had you "said....MHing and such", less typing..  BUT, we always have folks asking about differences...and we also, unfortunately have some members that don't realize the differences...so when a Camelot owner has an Intellitec issue, the answer pertains to the CPU.  OPPS....ain't one and it also works the other way.

We, the staff moderate as little as possible...but we have to also remind folks that Monaco never made the same one....even in the same year....two in a row...so PLEASE understand the systems of each and only offer factual advice and NOT make an assumptions.

The ONE THING I FORGOT.  Order this today.  There is a MAJOR wiring issue in the 2009 Scepter/Camelots...  Brand is T Tocas. It is in the LOWER left side of the FRB...MONACO designed the 2009's for a GENNY slide...They put in a 150 AMP.  I  burned up my hydraulic system as the 150 never TRIPPED.  The 2008's have the 80 AMP...  VERY IMPORTANT...  from Amazon...

80 Amp Automotive Circuit Breaker with Manual Reset Switch Button 12V - 48V DC, Waterproof 80A

NEXT...  Before you do a LOT of things...  Check the Fluid level of the Lippert system up front.  CLOSED SLIDES... SHOULD be FULL.  Then pull BOTH Cables off the Motor.  There is a small nut on either stud.  TIGHTEN THAT SNUGGLY...Don't twist off.  These STUDS are like a carriage bold head....there is a rectangular terminal inside.  When the nuts loosen...the studs then make a HIGH resistance contact to the motor windings.  BINGO....overheating.  That is mandatory.  While there...obviously check on the power in and power of of the solenoid on the motor....WORD FROM THE WISE (and poorer).  Replace that SOLENOID with the proper amperage...

NOW, you may know this.  If the Hydraulic is OEM...the reservoir is the "Loaf of Bread" or the long rectangular one.  If you crawl under... THERE IS NOT SUPPORT on the bottom of the reservoir on the road side.  Many of us caught that.  We all fabricated a bracket from aluminum strapping or angle or whatever.  You want to get a metal bracket UNDER the bottom of the tank.  Put a piece of rubber (1/4") or a few strips of HVAC Tape.  Don't push it up or elevate...just support.  The seals between the Pump and Reservoir have been know to leak.  The unsupported vibration of the tank weakens that.  THAT IS ALSO A MUST DO.  I don't have pictures....but I found out in the first year that most "Seasoned" owners of that system had supported the reservoir...and NONE ever had a failure.  Lippert changed it about 3 years later and the NEW (replacement...like mine) is totally supported as in a square or rectangular cube and not the "Flopping in the breeze" style...

Other things will come up. I joined the Monaco'ers in 2009...and a year or two later was asked to Moderate....the rest is history...

Welcome aboard...

Great info. I look forward to a long relationship with Monacoers and my new rig.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Tom - looks like we have the same year and model coach except mine is the Sagebrush color scheme.  Thank you so much for the info on the 150Amp breaker.  I ordered the 80Amp one today as my coach still has the 150Amp one.  I try not to ask dumb questions if possible, so here goes.  To change the breaker, should I turn off all power to the coach at the rear bay switches that are over the DPF or is there a less invasive method to make sure the power is off to those wires?