Slide cylinder replacement

Help needed. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement slide cylinder like this? I was told by the hydraulic shop that the valve section was bad and needed replacement. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. 2004 executive 

IMG_8348.jpeg

Based on Ivan's pictures this looks like a simple design and easy fix with new seals.

I'd recommend having them show you the problem.  If a seal failed and damaged the barrel and/or piston I could see it not being repairable.  Other that a seal kit. 

Get some pictures. 

I’m surprised the shop didn’t try to sell you a new one. Around here there are a few shops that would just build a new one if they couldn’t match it with something off the self and it would be a whole lot less than HWH’s price. 

11 minutes ago, Craggar said:

I’m surprised the shop didn’t try to sell you a new one. Around here there are a few shops that would just build a new one if they couldn’t match it with something off the self and it would be a whole lot less than HWH’s price. 

Last time I took a end gland off the cylinder on my tractor to a hydraulic shop to have them make one it was 2X what I could buy a new one for. 

Machining something from shop takes time and the hourly rates make it uneconomic to compete if you can still buy from other sources. 

But you never know unless you ask. 

1 minute ago, jacwjames said:

Last time I took a end gland off the cylinder on my tractor to a hydraulic shop to have them make one it was 2X what I could buy a new one for. 

Machining something from shop takes time and the hourly rates make it uneconomic to compete if you can still buy from other sources. 

But you never know unless you ask. 

Yes it's funny how it works sometimes, to have a new jack built here it was 1/2 the cost of what HWH quoted me but we do have a lot of hyd. shops around here so competition is pretty high too I guess.

The good part is that this cylinder is really easy to take apart to check the damage. Not much torque on the gland since it uses a boss type oring.  I would think that if any metal part is worn, it would have to be leaking really bad first, for many actuations.

So to update the issue I’m having with this cylinder. I was told by the hydraulic shop that the issue is in the aluminum block pictures attached. The cylinder its self has new seals and has been honed and cleaned. The cylinder won’t extend out or retract in. They tell me the issue is inside that aluminum block. Anyone else had same issue?

IMG_8369.jpeg

IMG_8368.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the insides of the block, probably because it did not give me trouble. I realize now that the gland I show is on gen slide cylinder. I would take it apart and look for any kind of blockage to/from the line fitting.

Edited by Ivan K

Looks like a pressure relief valve on the side, this might be struck.  Like Ivan says, take it apart and look for some type of blockage.

You might call HWH and request a drawing of the cylinder and block. 

I have a generator slide that has an aluminum block, inside is a "lock valve" that gets stuck and won't permit the cylinder go in or out.  I is a small part that shuttles back and forth depending on which way cylinder is extended or retracted.  But once hydraulic flow stops it locks the cylinder from moving. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2024 at 1:53 PM, ph1386 said:

So to update the issue I’m having with this cylinder. I was told by the hydraulic shop that the issue is in the aluminum block pictures attached. The cylinder its self has new seals and has been honed and cleaned. The cylinder won’t extend out or retract in. They tell me the issue is inside that aluminum block. Anyone else had same issue?

IMG_8369.jpeg

IMG_8368.jpeg

My understanding is that the cylinders are pretty standard hydraulics except for that block on the end. There's some kind of locking mechanism in there that is special. I'd recommend going to HWH. They were pretty helpful and knowledgeable the one time that I called them.