Where to place side cameras?

Go to solution Solved by Dr4Film,

So I’m installing side mounted cams on my Sig. I have seen them placed high near the level if my upper side mirror and I’ve seen them placed very low, maybe tire level. And I’ve seen them anywhere in between. Whats the consensus on placement?

TIA

Keith H

Unless you intend on hooking them up to a recording DVR and use them like a dash cam for security then in my opinion they are a waste of money. When driving I prefer using the mirrors versus looking at a monitor which takes your eyes OFF of the road ahead of you. Using the triple headed mirrors set correctly a quick glance or eye movement is all you need.

• Like 3

I am going to use them for both security and as a secondary assist to my mirrors.  My next question is for my front dash cam. Should I place it high on my front windshield or down at the bottom?

My side cam's are low on the front cap.

Decent position for checking blind spots before a lane change, but useless as an aid for parking, as, when you turn the steering, all you see is tires!

36 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

My side cam's are low on the front cap.

Decent position for checking blind spots before a lane change, but useless as an aid for parking, as, when you turn the steering, all you see is tires!

TOTALLY FASCINATING.  Do you HAVE TWO SETS of Side Cameras?  In 2009, the Camelot/Scepter came with the CAMERA in the lower part of the Mirror....and NO SIDE ones....

14 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

TOTALLY FASCINATING.  Do you HAVE TWO SETS of Side Cameras?  In 2009, the Camelot/Scepter came with the CAMERA in the lower part of the Mirror....and NO SIDE ones....

No mirror cams.

IMG_1296.JPG

54 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

No mirror cams.

IMG_1296.JPG

The more our twins, one year difference in age….the less the look like they have the same DNA….BUT THE FACES are the same.

thanks for pointing that out.

I’m happy with my mirror cams and they meet all my needs.

FROM STRICTLY A “PREVENT DRIVER DISTRACTION” standpoint.  My mind can only process so much.  I know many people that have had trouble “adjusting” to having the rear camera in their car.  First there was side mirrors and those that towed learned how to use….and that was an improvement.

BUT, now the modern SUV has “tilting”, if selected mirrors.  They have a rear camera mirror.  I’m old school…I learned to drive with basically a woman’s compact mirror on the A pillar.  You turned your head. You used your interior mirror.  Some would open the door and peer out when backing.

I have had a variety of SUV’s….many on truck chassis.  Recently I was backing out of a wide driveway….with wide side rails.  Too wide to be in the camera or mirrors,

I finally looked in my rear view mirror and then turned my head to back.  The tilting mirrors are great….unless you are backing a trailer.

So…adding side cameras…..I DO NOT KNOW…

You have two mirrors.  Two convex mirrors. A backup camera….and can switch to either side camera by turning on a turn signal.   That’s enough….so don’t distract me with another monitor or split screen with side camera…

• Like 2

Since I liked the placement of the cams placed under the mirrors (as @pwhittle calls them headknockers, with good reason), I decided to place my new side cams on the side of my coach at about the same level the headknockers were. Next step is to wire them all up.