NEED TPMS ADVICE - THANKS

I wired my TPMS extender off the light in the back closet.  So yeah, a few ma powered full time by the coach batteries . . . .

I chose the closet for ease of installation and a better RF signal both to the trailer tires and the front cockpit.  No issues reading the rear axle tires.

- bob

I originally had my extender wired in my rear closet, the performance was very poor. After a discussion with TST, I moved it to the bay aft of the batteries where my inverter is, what a world of difference. I don’t like putting unknown quality electronics in with batteries, just don’t feel they last as long due to the battery out gassing.

• Like 1

I did some beta testing and Pressure Pro picked up the “shipping” after I bought mine.  They said, based on experimentation with other users like me.

The MIDDLE is the place, on a Monaco. Now inside the rear closet with mirrors. Their logic

I would lose a MH rear tire from time to time as the batteries (TPMS) got weaker.

I had difficulty with the REARS on the TOAD.

That was typical.  If one wants to have a scientific explanation, it would be futile. I did set up my laptop through the RS232 port and download data, daily for them.

It is, in a Monaco…how  theirs, perhaps not other systems, worked.

OK…the logic. Behind the mirrors in the rear bedroom, the electoplated substrate on the glass, acted as an electronic shield.  If one has ever had to install routers in a building, like a two story church, the HVAC ducts play havoc with signal strength and speeds.  So, NOT behind the mirrors. I tapped into a house fuse (the adapter) and then ran a ground wire from the AC panel. That is also a Chassis ground….bonded. Put an inline power plug on it. Mounted the Extender in the bathroom next to the house fuse panel. That was in 2011. Actually did this on the road. My TPMS sensors were less than a year old.

That’s my experience.  Never lost a signal. I still run the OLD style PP sensors on the Yukon. But the new sensors on the new (current) work great. I have the antenna mounted on the “wall”, behind the axle…sits near where you install a Watts link.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I originally posted this information in General Motorhome Discussion, Oct 10, 2023

Firstly, Bendix purchased SmarTire which was the TPMS system that went into later Monaco products.  Ours is a 2009 Signature.

I am being told that Bendix has changed the codes for the tire sensors they now sell, such that the Silverleaf Trip Tech unit in our 2009 Monaco Signature will no longer accept the readings from their new module.  

Bendix has a new retrofit kit that comes with 10 sensors https://b2bendix.com/US/en/USD/Products/Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-Systems/SmarTire®-Trailer/TPMS-Retrofit-Kits/Retrofit-Kit/p/108.1010 so the question is how to fit the readout into the dash.  

If you have a Tag and tow a vehicle, like we do, you will need two more sensors. https://b2bendix.com/US/en/USD/Products/Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-Systems/SmarTire®-Tractor-Truck-Bus/TPMS-Sensor-Transmitters/Transmitter-Assembly/p/K141495

Apparently this is the same system they sell for trucks.

This information was provided to me by the Bendix tech people.

Les Schwab in Junction City says this is a common problem for folks that have Smart Tire monitors in Monaco products.  According to them, Silverleaf does not have a fix to modify the existing system to accept the new sensor codes.

Also Silverleaf https://silverleafelectronics.com was purchased by Winegard so getting modifications to the existing coding in old units may be impossible to get.

Sure would be nice if the existing system could be modified to accept the new sensors as I quit like the system and will have trouble finding real estate on the existing dash to accept the new readout.

Anyone know anything about this or have any experience installing this system?