Transmission, generator service and surge tank replacement

Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

Our winter break produced a minor leak in the plastic surge tank so last month I purchased a stainless steel one from C-Low fabrications and installed it. Next the transmission needed servicing. So I watched 3 YouTube videos and bought 5 gallons of Transynd 695, I had the filters already. While the fluid was draining, I serviced the generator with oil & filter and fuel filter. Spent 4 hours on my back. Test drove to get it up to proper temp for transmission and came back 3 quarts short. Topped it off. My 4th of July getaway was a 700 mile run which included hiway 20 through the cascade mountains in Washington. Tranny temp stayed at 140/15020240529_181037.thumb.jpg.02d02d5225f17cd4571bbef23aaef12a.jpg while coolant was 170/180. Generator hummed like a bee. Now I have a true mileage/hour maintenance recording for all needed service schedules.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I have the same coach yr and model with basically the same coolant tank, except my tank doesn't have the site tube but just the site window at the top. I wish it had the tube. I would like to get the other fitting installed so I can install a tube. I know a good tig welder but not sure how clean I could get it for welding. Tig welding on al really needs to be clean. 

IMG_0691.jpeg

Edited by tmw188

Todd, your site window looks to be in the same spot as the top tube inlet on mine. Does it not give you a clear look at your coolant level? The cost was around $460. Maybe weigh your options which would be easier. I should have added, the Temps were consistently 15/20 degrees cooler the whole trip. 

24 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

I have the same coach yr and model with basically the same coolant tank, except my tank doesn't have the site tube but just the site window at the top. I wish it had the tube. I would like to get the other fitting installed so I can install a tube. I know a good tig welder but not sure how clean I could get it for welding. Tig welding on al really needs to be clean. 

IMG_0691.jpeg

No as you can see I only have that small window, can’t really get a good indicator where it’s at when it drops below the window. I have plans to maybe add the other bung. 

• Solution
10 hours ago, Jim Wallace said:

Our winter break produced a minor leak in the plastic surge tank so last month I purchased a stainless steel one from C-Low fabrications and installed it. Next the transmission needed servicing. So I watched 3 YouTube videos and bought 5 gallons of Transynd 695, I had the filters already. While the fluid was draining, I serviced the generator with oil & filter and fuel filter. Spent 4 hours on my back. Test drove to get it up to proper temp for transmission and came back 3 quarts short. Topped it off. My 4th of July getaway was a 700 mile run which included hiway 20 through the cascade mountains in Washington. Tranny temp stayed at 140/15020240529_181037.thumb.jpg.02d02d5225f17cd4571bbef23aaef12a.jpg while coolant was 170/180. Generator hummed like a bee. Now I have a true mileage/hour maintenance recording for all needed service schedules.

Classic, I THINK, mistake.  My OTR guy did almost the same thing.  Tranny was 3 QT low….and I only gave him the correct amount. Called Allison, in a panic….gonna leave in a few days.

Allison…common mistake.  The recommended refill amount is based on let it drain…still see a few drips, replace pan.  If it drains for more than a few minutes…as in an hour or more….IT Will need more fluid. These are the exact steps….and my experience….

Check the oil level.  It is “quasi accurate”….FWIW, had the correct drain procedure been used, then the recommended (19? Qt) would have been “dead on”.

Add ONE Quart.  Recheck.  Never add 3 at one time.  I think I added about 1.5 Quarts.  He SAID that would be a guess.  I then put 8K on it from NC to CA and such.

About 5K later, had some issues.. minor…then a bit more.  When the exhaust brake was energized, the downshift was getting rougher.  Checked the fluid.  OK.  But…

I added about a Pint…drove it…HMM…not quite as bad.  OL OK was still displayed.  Bottom line….did that twice more…for a total of 1.5 QT…which, maybe fact or coincidental, was the AMOUNT needed at first.

That’s my real world…now have 70K…

COMMENT…Generator.  The OTR tech…who goes Allisons and Onans also let the genny drain for an extended period only used the amount of oil per the label.  Too much had drained out.  Took a quart.  Got a shutdown and error code.

Moral…don’t overdrain or overthink,  do it like a tech doing only that service would do and don’t multitask…

Hope this might be of benefit…it has helped other members….

Tom, Great advice for anyone reading this. My final reading was OL-OK. I was not sure this was a project I wanted to do knowing the price I would pay if screwing it up. But after watching the video's and already having the filters I decided to go ahead. What surprised me was the amount of diesel drained from the fuel line to the generator motor. I gave up on waiting for it to complete and installed the filter.

2 minutes ago, Jim Wallace said:

Tom, Great advice for anyone reading this. My final reading was OL-OK. I was not sure this was a project I wanted to do knowing the price I would pay if screwing it up. But after watching the video's and already having the filters I decided to go ahead. What surprised me was the amount of diesel drained from the fuel line to the generator motor. I gave up on waiting for it to complete and installed the filter.

Thanks.

Since you did not have the “tech support” and ASSISTANCE (LOL) that I did and used common sense…lI’ll bet you are OK as that, even with my sometimes sketchy memory…is what I ended up doing.  I think I eventually added some more oil…maybe a pint to the Genny.  I do carry two pair of cheap, Harbor Freight, pinch pliers.  That is what the techs use on the genny fuel filter to keep from air locking it.  

Drive ON….

Far as I'm concerned, The length of time the Allison drips ATF is going to depend on the length of time it takes you (ME), to remove the old gasket material from the surfaces!

2 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Far as I'm concerned, The length of time the Allison drips ATF is going to depend on the length of time it takes you (ME), to remove the old gasket material from the surfaces!

Which is exactly what Allison said.  Don’t let it drain any longer than it takes to get the pan reinstalled….no “siesta breaks” or overnight sorties…..

11 hours ago, Jim Wallace said:

Looks like you also have the FASS setup. I installed mine in the same location and it works well for me.

1 hour ago, timaz996 said:

Looks like you also have the FASS setup. I installed mine in the same location and it works well for me.

Air Dog system, Tim. I had that installed, I am not a true mechanic but I am excellent in the maintenance dept. Save a buck. Spend a buck!

9 hours ago, tmw188 said:

No as you can see I only have that small window, can’t really get a good indicator where it’s at when it drops below the window. I have plans to maybe add the other bung. 

I agree, that is a problem. It's worth the try to put a tube in. Best of luck.

12 hours ago, tmw188 said:

I have the same tank. I hold a flashlight through the fill cap, and can see the surface of the coolant through the window unless it is low enough I think I need to add.

On 7/9/2024 at 12:54 AM, Jim Wallace said:

So I watched 3 YouTube videos and bought 5 gallons of Transynd 695

I just did the transmission service on our 4000 series, so I’m curious as to what “Transynd 695” is and if it superseded what’s on the market now. I used 2 5-gallon pails of Transynd 668 that I got on Amazon, and my web searches seemed to indicate that 668 was a successor product to the older TES295 spec, but I know things rapidly change in the real world. Just curious if there’s a newer variant available.

Castrol TranSynd 668 Full-Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid, 5 Gallon Pail

I THINK you meant TES or TS 295….NOT 695.  See the photo….direct from Allison.

Note…Allison tech says do it by the calendar…but when pressed….probably NOT needed for MH’s.  Bought new Camelot in 2009.  Had serviced, to keep estended warranty intact in 2013…maybe 25K.  Again in 2018….58K.  Both were before 7 - 10K trips out west with hills and grades and such.

Probably gonna wait a while,  just drive the MH periodically…

FWIW.  Mobil 1 DELVAC is the only NON Allison that I might consider.  It is (Annually?) CERTIFIED by Allison.  That is on the label.  Many labels will say “Meets TS XXX or XXX”.  They PAID  for testing…but did NOT get Allison to test NOR are an Allison CERTIFIED replacement or alternative.

That is the story…

IMG_1313.png

20 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

My guess is he has typed 695 when it is actually 668.

You are correct, Ben. Transynd 668 is what I used. Which will mix safely with all previous Transynd fluids. 

• Like 1

I did the same thing when I was ATF shopping!

Asked the counter guy at NAPA what TES-686 spec oil he could get in?

He came back with "Nothing! But I can get you TES-668"!

I knew it had 6's and 8's in it.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1