2002 Monarch clearance lights

Hello everyone, and thank you in advance for your help

02 Monarch with W22 chassis all exterior lighting works except the upper clearance lights, with parking light switch ON the rear tail lights light up but not the front marker lights or all the upper clearance lights. I have put power to the center front upper clearance light and I can get them to light up that way but that's it. There is no ICC switch present.

• 3 weeks later...

Update, when I put power to fuse #34 ...roadside fuse panel I can get the clearance lights to work, also when I put power to the relay pin 30 I get power at fuse #34 does this mean the relay isn't getting voltage from the head parking light switch? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MarxRV said:

Update, when I put power to fuse #34 ...roadside fuse panel I can get the clearance lights to work, also when I put power to the relay pin 30 I get power at fuse #34 does this mean the relay isn't getting voltage from the head parking light switch? 

PROBABLY….

sort of difficult to troubleshoot from a narrative.  So, lets stay generic.

If a relay activates a circuit, like I think you are describing….here is how a BOSCH relay works.

Pins 85 and 86 are the RELAY coil.  No polarity.  The POSITIVE for the Relay can go to either PIN….then, obviously, the OTHER pin goes to GROUND.  Monaco was NASTY HERE….probably 90% of the relays, typically, are POSITIVE switched.  So, you have a switch, sometimes an UPSTREAM Relay and it provides POWER or Positive.  OPPS, Monaco also liked to make folks go crazy.  They would SOMETIMES use a GROUND or SWITCHED relay.  Thus….Positive or POWER is on one of the PINS.  Folks have been sent to substance abuse rehab as they SWORE the Relay Coil was FINE….had Positive on 85 or 86.  What they were not aware of….that Relay was a Negative or GROUND switch…so the “switch” or upstream relay switched or sent out a GROUND signal.  I may be overstating this, but I have never troubleshot a car or truck with a NEGATIVE switch relay.

OK….next….UNDERSTAND the Relay circuit.  It is a SPDT circuit.  (Single Pole Double THROW or movement of the contacts) a Bosch relay, plugged in with NO POWER or in your hand has THREE terminals.  In the NOT ENERGIZED configuration….Terminal 30….is CLOSED or makes a Circuit with Terminal 87A.  When you energize the coil, then terminal 30 is SWITCHED….or then makes a circuit with terminal 87. 

SO, in your case, if I understand….the fuse provides poser to the Relay.  Monaco often would swap the relay pins if it was ONLY an ON/OFF circuit.  The proper convention is to attach the POWER (Incoming) to Pin 30….so, when the relay is Energized or the coil (terminals 85 and 86) have voltage, then the incoming power goes OUT on pin 87.  They were NOT consistent…seen circuits where the incoming power was on 87 and the switched (energized) outgoing was on Pin 30.

You can google BOSCH 5 PIN Relay Daighram and then click on IMAGES….then you see how it works.

So, I think or hope this helps…and if you knew it, please don’t think I’m “talking down to you”.

It SOUNDS like one of two things….the relay ain’t working…happens.  Steal one and test.  Order spares from Amazon. I only buy genuine BOSCH.

OR…there is a problem with the incoming coil voltage….one SIDE to be ground.  Use DVOM and continuity…find the ground.  Then test the other pin…must have 12 VDC.

Good Luck