2002 Monaco Windsor lights will not shut off.

29 minutes ago, cmjosborn said:

Sorry! The hi beams will not shut off. Can someone please advise on a fix? Thank you!

YES…there will be one or two BOSCH (Black Square) relays in the front electrical “bay” or box.  Should be marked as Headlight or HDLT.  If one….pull it…two…both.  That will cut thrm off…the relays are not specific….they interchange..lf they are not there….look on pages 249 & 250 of the manual.  Pull the 25 HEADLIGHTS FUSE.

Screen shot below….

IMG_1314.png

Pulling a fuse will cut power to the head light but it won't solve your problem.

There is also a chassis wiring diagram in the download section.  You should download it and keep it in your files.  When you open it the lines will be thick/blurry, hit CTRL5 and it will clear right up.  I usually have to zoom in at 800% to read it.  I use the search function to find circuits but the use abbreviations, once you figure out what the name of the circuit you are working on it works pretty good.

You have a VIP Smartwheel which controls the headlights, there is a troubleshooting guide in the download files section.  Down load it and see if has a topic for this.  The headlight circuit is a known problem with the VIP control panel wiring harness due to the amperage.  My VIP module is located behind the radio, hard to work on.  The J2 plug is for the lights

There are several relays hanging loose in the front drivers side electrical bay.  One is a Hamsar DRL (daylight running light) mine was buried behind wires lower left side of the large fuse panel.  These are known to go bad and could be your problem.  From memory I believe @Dr4Film had a similar problem when he had a 2002 Windsor and might be able to help.

Some of the relays aren't marked very well, I was to identify the function by stripping back the black loom and reading the labels on the wires and was able identify and then label. 

FWIW, I've owned my 2002 Windsor is 2008 and have a lot of information on my systems.  Holler if you need something.

Edited by jacwjames

What Jim is referring to is the socket in the FRB that is labeled for a special Hamser DRL Relay. My Windsor did not come with the relay but the socket was there. I purchased one and installed it. Well, sometime later that one failed so I purchased another one. One night when coming home I noticed that the coaches headlights were on. Could not figure out why until I opened up the FRB and touched the DRL relay. It almost burnt my hands it was so hot. I got a set of channel lock pliers and removed the relay. That shut the lights off. Obviously, there was something seriously wrong with that relay. I never purchased another one as they had gotten TOO expensive.

That DRL socket is adjacent to another special Hamser Relay for the Alt Fail Dash Indicator Lamp.

Here are photos.

Hamsar DRL Relay-01.JPG

Hamsar DRL Relay-02.JPG

Hamsar DRL Relay-03.JPG

Hamsar Relay Sockets.JPG

OK...as a MODERATOR....and we are THE only ones that can see your profile, There is a ONE WORD for "City/State"  If you are in Canada or another continent....and your RIG does have the Day Time Running Lights...which are common and required there, then the issue probably is the HAMSAR.

If you DO have the HAMSAR DRL relay and it is bad....and the lights go OUT....then that is the issue.

BUT, the BAD news... I think (called them once) that that Relay is NO LONGER PRODUCED.  There is something VAGUELY familiar about it.

OK....here are the TWO IRV2 Posts.  

H8401B was replaced with H8005B...and THEN it seemed to DISAPEAR...  See the SECOND Link..

BUT....searching OUR Parts List...  TRY 45050  I struck out...but you can call Hamsar and see...you have THREE numbers.

BUT, it would seem the last poster does NOT know that GOOGLE EXISTS...  Link to the SOURCE ONE that the last poster was unable to "find"

https://www.sourceonesupply.com/contact/

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/drl-relay-330702.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/hamsar-relay-517818.html

SO....NOT KNOWING

Tried a search HERE.  Use the box at the top  HAMSAR & DRL were the two SEARCH (Key) words...and from EVERYWHERE...chose TOPICS

https://www.monacoers.org/search/?q=hamsar drl&quick=1&type=forums_topic

BINGO and DAILY DOUBLE.  There is about everything one could want to know or didn't know to ask about in this search...goes way back...

https://www.monacoers.org/search/?q=hamsar drl&quick=1&type=forums_topic

SO...keep reading.... 

WANT a NEW Hamsar...assuming yours is toast....  Try Source One and give them BOTH numbers...and Richard's pictures..  GREAT JOB, DR...!

Scenario ONE...  You DO NEED, due local REGS, DRL...

Then, the solution, generically is this.  Install a Bosch 5 Pin relay - a 30 AMP...NOT a 20 A (but I think it would work...but based on how the headlights are fused...use the 30 a). It needs a direct 25 A inline fuse WIRE...it MUST BE A #12 Wire...and the Socket you get for the Relay must have #12.  OK...a PURSIT will say #10.  IF so, then FIND a relay socket with screw terminals...and use #10.... This MSUT come from the Chassis Stud (not IGNITION) somewhere, probably UP FRONT.  That will go to Terminal 30.  The output of that will come from Terminal 87.  Split that.  Run it and "tap into" the LOW BEAM wire for your headlights.  The one that is attached to the pigtail on EACH Headlight assembly.  Thus, when the Headlight switch is ON and in Park or Headlights...the parking light will be ON.  THUS, your LOW BEAMS will be ON....

Find the Clearance Lights or Parking light circuit up front.  SO, when just turn ON the parking lights, that wire has 12 VDC.  Run that wire to Terminal 85 of the Relay.  The other, 86, goes to GROUND.  You can reverse these...  this is just the Relay Coil. 

Scenario TWO.  NO NEED DRL  Pull the Hamsar.  I THINK everything will work.. BUT if you still have issues...then read the prints and troubleshoot.

Just my memory and a quick, this has worked, when a Hamsar was not available alternative..