5.9 ISB Intake Temperature

I did search specifically for this question, also tried commenting on a similar post with no bites.  I tried. 

2005 Cayman with the 5.9 ISB engine. 
Traveling from Ontario to Nova Scotia this week and it’s really the first real long run since I completed all my turbo, EGR, coolant line work etc last year.  
While traveling on flat as water sections of the 401, my Bluefire is reporting intake temps of 140-150 degrees Fahrenheit while travelling at around 65MPH. Boost holds steady at around 12-15 PSI on these flat sections, and even when climbing the little hills that I did today, intake temps would sometimes climb up to 160, with 30 lbs of boost.  
Anyone with this same engine able to report what your numbers are? I feel like that’s too high and I’m rather annoyed as I put a lot of time and money into this thing and thought she’d be working a little better.  Reman Holset turbo, reman EGR valve, all new turbo and radiator plumbing, new coolant, removed rad and CAC and cleaned the heck out them among a host other fixed.  Just not sure what to think.  Thanks for your input. 

IMG_4350.jpeg

IMG_4353.jpeg

Edited by BradHend
Not sure why the one picture is upside down.

2 hours ago, Martinvz said:

I cannot help but maybe our paths will cross in Nova Scotia, we are leaving tomorrow

I’ll keep an eye out for your LaPalma.  Not seeing many Monaco’s at all on our travels this year in Canada.  

Before my wife went on her trip I set up an intake gauge on my Silverleaf, it was reading but don't know what it does on the hwy.  When she got back and I backed it into the garage after dropping the toad I remember it reading 136. 

I may go ahead and add this to the data logging I've got set up that tracks engine, tranny temps and boost. 

Brad,

I think your numbers look very normal according to what I'm seeing on my 2006 Cayman w/5.9 ISB.  I just completed a run from East Texas to Colorado which is basically a constant uphill run.   I had mine set on 65, on cruise, and for the most part ran engine temps of 193 to 197 and air intake temps of 140 to 160.  There were a time or two where I saw 211 on engine and 179 on intake on a fairly steep and LONG uphill run, with ambient temps just over 100 degrees. 

Carey

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Appreciate the reassurance, Carey.  
Just stopped for diesel and noticed with the engine off, Bluefire reads an intake temp of -20 degrees Fahrenheit.  I’m thinking two things here, Carey you able to tell me what your diagnostic is saying with engine off? Either that’s a default value, or perhaps my sensor is 20 degrees off.  
Thanks.  

IMG_4463.jpeg

Edited by BradHend
Can anyone explain why my pictures always flip upside down? I even edited the image to be flipped for me, and it still uploads upside down. 🤷‍♂️

Brent 

My 5.9 2005 Neptune ran about the same intake and water temps while doing on-road diagnostics via INSITE and a tech on board, after doing the CAC hoses, cobra head and turbo outlet EGR gaskets and air tests.  It now can jump to 30psi boost quicker.  Hope this helps.

Is that the Bluefire app and on what tablet.  Did the EMS panel work out?

Rich

• Like 1

I'm getting ready to do a 3-hour run through the mountains, so I will watch my temps a little more closely and report back this evening. By the way, I am running a Scan Gauge D.

Carey 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Richard Tree said:

Brent 

My 5.9 2005 Neptune ran about the same intake and water temps while doing on-road diagnostics via INSITE and a tech on board, after doing the CAC hoses, cobra head and turbo outlet EGR gaskets and air tests.  It now can jump to 30psi boost quicker.  Hope this helps.

Is that the Bluefire app and on what tablet.  Did the EMS panel work out?

Rich

Rich, thanks for replying with that info!  
That is the Bluefire App, running someones dash setup, forget who to give the credit to though.  Ha.  As for the tablet, it’s just a junkie Amazon one. Very seldom have connection issues with it, so I’m at least thankful for that as I hear a lot of people have Bluetooth issues.   That is its only purpose, does nothing except run the Bluefire Digital Dash.  
Also, Yes, the EMS panel worked wonderfully.  No issues and thanks again!

I can also report my second adventure east was smooth sailing on the hills of New Brunswick.  Does it ever feel good to have POWER back.  Just a couple hills had to drop her down a gear, otherwise smooth sailing. Even clearly recognized the spot I originally pulled over halfway through New Brunswick and discovered all my snowballed problems two years ago.   Here’s hoping she behaves herself for rest of our trip! 🤞 

Edited by BradHend

Brad,

I drove from Breckenridge, CO through Denver today.  The grades on I 70 were 5% and 6% and seemed to go on forever. I was in 3rd gear for a good part of the really steep parts pushing 20 lbs of boost at 35 to 40 mph.  Coolant temp was 195 and intake air temp was 114.  Ambient temp was around 70 degrees.  Much cooler than the over 100 degree temps in North Texas the other day! 

Carey