Vacuum Generator

Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

I've searched and read to threads I could find on this subject and so Ive found the Ford unit to replace mine but here is my issue that I need some assistance with. My current generator has 2 spade connectors, and the ford unit has 2 small pins for the power connection. Does anyone have a p/n for a short harness and plug the will work for the ford generator? I have searched for this on Amazon and the WWW and have not found such an animal. I also thought maybe an adaptor from a small pin to a spade but have not found that either.  Can anyone provide some Insite?

• Solution

https://www.monacoers.org/search/?q=VACUUM HVAC&quick=1&type=forums_topic

KEY WORDS WERE vacuum HVAC

https://www.monacoers.org/search/?q=vacuum pump&quick=1&type=forums_topic

KEY WORDS WERE vacuum pump

https://www.monacoers.org/search/?q=vacuum generator&quick=1&type=forums_topic

KEY WORDS WERE vacuum generator

Make sure that you keep opening  NEW TABS.  I have a tab on my browser bar which is the main screen.

Then I select SEARCH.  Put in one or more key words.  SEE ABOVE.  Then you click on EVERYWHERE...  Then Select TOPICS.  Then execute the search.

FOR WHATEVER REASON...trying to change them messes my or my brain or my browser UP.  SO I had FOUR Monacoer's Tabs OPEN.  This on to respond to as well as paste in the results.

The OTHER three were the individual SEARCHS specifically for the KEY WORD(s).

Go to each link.  Some have many hits....so you look at the title and scan the first lines or so.

LOTS of information there.  ALSO in the Parts List....supposedly the Generator was a Ford PN 003 953-02

BINGO... Here it IS.  

https://blessedperformance.com/dorman-vacuum-pump-pigtail-connector-1999-to-2010-ford-f250-f350-f450-f550/?sku=DOR645-740&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwtNi0BhA1EiwAWZaANPia-V5Kk_j_QXZfslHYNmb9O2eLkZfN4RB5KRG1ujRK2KZcxZIk3hoCvTIQAvD_BwE

OK....how'd I GET THERE?  I looked up the Ford PN and found the Dorman pump (Generator) on Amazon.  That was listed as a Dorman 904-214  The picture wasn't too good...but I get the PINS.  

Then, I googled Dorman 904-214 Wiring Harness.  THAT how I found it.  I SUSPECT it is UNIVERSAL.  YOU use the TWO pins you need....cut off the others.

That's my best shot.  Let us know if that works...IF the one you bought is a knock off of the Ford or the Aftermarket as in the DORMAN...than this should work.

I did NOT try Amazon to see if they had one...

Let us know if this works.... Obviously Polarity is NOT an issue as the generator (of lovingly called PUMP) is not grounded.

https://www.comfortairgr.com/product/vacuum-pump-evans-tempcon-rv218234-rv011185-8tg00395317-003953-02-rv200505/

BUT....it ain't cheap.  Amazon has one similar...but also two spade terminals.

Tom, I did the search and said so in my post. I found the ford p/n in the parts list. I was looking for some input from someone who had actually replaced theirs with the ford unit. My original Vacuum pump has spade connectors the ford unit has 2 small pins. I think I've found a solution but just wanted some input from someone who had completed this changeout.

1 hour ago, JimC295 said:

Tom, I did the search and said so in my post. I found the ford p/n in the parts list. I was looking for some input from someone who had actually replaced theirs with the ford unit. My original Vacuum pump has spade connectors the ford unit has 2 small pins. I think I've found a solution but just wanted some input from someone who had completed this changeout.

You also said you needed a harness.  The link, if you have the new style is there.  That is what I discerned you wanted....how to adapt it to your spade connectors.  You CAN put female spade connectors on the ends of the harness, but most would cut off and use a crimped Butt Splice as the male to female spade is just another point for a potential connection issue...

If I misunderstood, then sorry about that.

Thanks,

1 hour ago, Happycarz said:

great find.....didn't have time to keep searching as am working on an Dometic HVAC issue (Cables and Connectors)....STAY TUNED...

BUT this is a $15 savings....GO FOR IT.. Make you OWN.  This will fix the CONNECTION problem. There is NO DIRECT ONE MADE UP.  Every MH owner should have a Ratcheting Crimper tool and connectors and be able to use.  Sort of like the next thing you need to learn....after start and pump fuel...  Take that in a HUMOROUS vein.... being able to fix pulled wires and Monaco's GOOFS (after they are FOUND) is a task that I know that all our seasoned and experienced and contributing members learned....easy or the hard way.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

great find.....didn't have time to keep searching as am working on an Dometic HVAC issue (Cables and Connectors)....STAY TUNED...

BUT this is a $15 savings....GO FOR IT.. Make you OWN.  This will fix the CONNECTION problem. There is NO DIRECT ONE MADE UP.  Every MH owner should have a Ratcheting Crimper tool and connectors and be able to use.  Sort of like the next thing you need to learn....after start and pump fuel...  Take that in a HUMOROUS vein.... being able to fix pulled wires and Monaco's GOOFS (after they are FOUND) is a task that I know that all our seasoned and experienced and contributing members learned....easy or the hard way.

Thanks.

Tom, I found that pigtail on my search the 1st time however it is a 4 wire and the vacuum generator has a 2 pin plug (Very small pins). I ordered one from amazon and sent it back already I thought about making one but have not found a connector small enough for those small pins in the pump. I have ample supply of electrical tools since that was my job while I was in the Navy.  I was in Naval aviation and worked on the generators and turbine start units that started the airplanes and lots of other aviation support equipment. I think I found a Dorman unit/pump and a matching pigtail that will work. I will take pics and document the swap when I do it. 

3 hours ago, JimC295 said:

Tom, I found that pigtail on my search the 1st time however it is a 4 wire and the vacuum generator has a 2 pin plug (Very small pins). I ordered one from amazon and sent it back already I thought about making one but have not found a connector small enough for those small pins in the pump. I have ample supply of electrical tools since that was my job while I was in the Navy.  I was in Naval aviation and worked on the generators and turbine start units that started the airplanes and lots of other aviation support equipment. I think I found a Dorman unit/pump and a matching pigtail that will work. I will take pics and document the swap when I do it. 

I’m confused.  If you have 2 pins.  Do they line up with the “holes” in the 4 pin harness.  Then  if two fit….that seems like a solution.  We are at a bit of a disadvantage.  The pictures of the Dorman knock off seem to show the pins at, say, 9:00 and 12:00.  The harnesses have them at 3, 6, 9, and 12.  So, without seeing the generator (pump) you have and how they are spaced….we’re at a loss.  If you have the experience that I surmise…. Solder a short piece of #16 wire to each pin….easy to do.  Then slip over short  pieces of shrink tubing.  The thicker silicone type with an internal adhesive.  The use a hot air gun or a pencil flame.  That will insulate the connection.  Then install a 2 pin polarized plug.  The kind used one the battery maintainers.  So, you can unplug it if needed. 

NOW, if your pins are the NOT same as the Dorman that Amazon has….the above, other than ordering the Dorman, which should fit their generic harness….

As usual, a picture sure makes it easier for folks to help. How about posting one…?

Thanks…

I had not considered solder, mainly because i was never very good at making a good solder joint. I can silver solder, but an open flame and wiring is never good...LOL The pin placement in the part I ordered was at 12 and 6 and the harness I found is at 12 and 6. I haven't found one of the pumps that shows the pin placement so I running on the assumption that all the ford units are the same pin placement. Obviously thay may not be because the 4 pin harness we found is for a newer ford I think. see the links below

APDTY 015325 Electric 12 Volt Vacuum Pump

APDTY 112687 Wiring Wire Harness Pigtail Connector (for Use with 4-Wire or 2-Wire; Round Female Fits APDTY 015325 Vacuum Pump; AC Compressor AC Pressure Switch Baro Pressure; WPT169, 1U2Z14S411AEA)

This may be the same harness we both found earlier but the description says it is suitable with both a 2 pin or 4 pin pump.

When I replace it I will do pics and a write up.

On 7/19/2024 at 5:01 AM, JimC295 said:

I had not considered solder, mainly because i was never very good at making a good solder joint. I can silver solder, but an open flame and wiring is never good...LOL The pin placement in the part I ordered was at 12 and 6 and the harness I found is at 12 and 6. I haven't found one of the pumps that shows the pin placement so I running on the assumption that all the ford units are the same pin placement. Obviously thay may not be because the 4 pin harness we found is for a newer ford I think. see the links below

This may be the same harness we both found earlier but the description says it is suitable with both a 2 pin or 4 pin pump.

When I replace it I will do pics and a write up.

OK...back to basics.  You ordered the Amazon knockoff for the Dorman 904-214 pump.  The pictures of the pump that is the knock off or the one that I found did not show the exact pins.  That is what we needed the picture of the PUMP to help in identification.

That was what I used to chase down the Harness.

Next up.  I googled the REAL Dorman 904-214 Pump.  One of the Big Boxes has all the photos 

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-electric-vacuum-pump-904-214/22149381-p?product_channel=local&store=7299&adtype=pla_with_promotion&product_channel=local&store_code=7299&&&&&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwnei0BhB-EiwAA2xuBuzuAAB_1HMQi1ogr0Vi8o5Se8BShBiTJVSP5LbHWEK4LerpKhSVfhoCsjEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

OK...so the pictures on Amazon look exactly like the Aftermarket Dorman.

Dorman sells the HARNESS for that pump. That is what I posted.  That is directly from Dorman.  The harness has to be a UNIVERSAL harness.  Dorman's website says it works with THAT part. Then Happy found it cheaper, a knock off, on Amazon.

Therefore...if you have the knockoff for the Dorman 904-214, then the knockoff harness for the 904-214, per DORMAN, will (should) fit. NOW...this tis based on the Aftermarket Dorman information and they are the leading supplier.  The simple thing...if you need more information.  CALL Dorman.  Tell them that you need the harness for the 904-214.  Tell them that your pump only has TWO pins and the harness has 4 wires or presumably FOUR pins.  Ask them.  Will this work or is there a mistake on their website.  You have all the links to everything you need, while on the phone, assuming with a tablet or computer to get this resolved...

OR....Suggest you order the harness and test it and then use it, assuming it fits and go from there.

This has been a bit contorted...but, per DORMAN...they sell the pump.  They well the Harness..  That's it...