I'm curious as well. We use to use it in a lot of hotrods that had overheating issues on the street and it worked great for that. You have to get almost every drop of water and antifreeze out before you can put the Evans in though which can be a little tricky. I don't remember the actual percent that was aceptable but it's pretty low. Also I wonder what they consider light to heavy duty diesels? Sounds like it should work in pretty much any diesel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

What if you pulled a vacuum and boiled all the water out, like an HVAC system?

- bob

I see now they have their prep fluid which they didn't have or I didn't know about when I was doing it. Looks like it wouldn't be too bad too do now and like you said you could vacuum it as well.

• Like 1

I wouldn't think an engine cooling system would hold a vacuum high enough to evaporate water.   Looks like that stuff is nearly pure ethylene glycol, so it would be thicker and lower heat capacity than water, not sure what the benefit is besides it wouldn't boil over.  The boiling temp is extremely high, but the freezing point is not as low as a 50/50 mix. Not sure if freezing ethylene glycol is a danger to engines and radiators or not, but it won't cool with a solid ethylene glycol mass in the radiator. Also, uses 2EH as the corrosion inhibitor, not the best for any engine, especially some cummins. 

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, cbr046 said:

What if you pulled a vacuum and boiled all the water out, like an HVAC system?

- bob

That's what I'm considering, after a thorough flush and drain.

12 hours ago, Benjamin said:

I wouldn't think an engine cooling system would hold a vacuum high enough to evaporate water.   Looks like that stuff is nearly pure ethylene glycol, so it would be thicker and lower heat capacity than water, not sure what the benefit is besides it wouldn't boil over.  The boiling temp is extremely high, but the freezing point is not as low as a 50/50 mix. Not sure if freezing ethylene glycol is a danger to engines and radiators or not, but it won't cool with a solid ethylene glycol mass in the radiator. Also, uses 2EH as the corrosion inhibitor, not the best for any engine, especially some cummins. 

Thanks for the additional info.
Can you elaborate on the 2EH issue with Cummins engines?  Corrosion protection is my main goal, I've never had an overheating problem with my coach, besides losing a serpentine belt.  Fortunately, I noticed the tach not working and stopped right away.

You'd have to look it up, but I believe certain older cummins engines (like ours) had silicone gaskets somewhere, and 2EH dissolves silicone.  I don't see anything magical about the coolant that it would prevent corrosion better than conventional corrosion inhibitors, it's the same active ingredient, EG, just a higher percentage. 

• Thanks 2

On 7/16/2024 at 1:54 PM, dl_racing427 said:

Has anyone considered or used Evans coolant in their coach?
I'm interested in a way to permanently stop corrosion and eliminate SCA's.

https://evanscoolant.com/products/high-performance-waterless-coolant

If your engine has sleeved cylinders, I don't specifically see a spec where it's approved.  If you want to eliminate SCA's, use an OAT coolant.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

If your engine has sleeved cylinders, I don't specifically see a spec where it's approved.  If you want to eliminate SCA's, use an OAT coolant.

Thanks Frank.  That is definitely one of my concerns.
I plan to contact Cummins with my engine S/N before making any switch.