7500 quiet diesel generator removal

Rgoodman

2002 diplomat 38 PBT.  I have to pull my 7500 watt generator to replace coolant temp sensor.  I see many who have to jack up MH and drop there’s down to roll it out.  Mine looks like I can remove 4 bolts (as well as wires and exhaust) and slide it forward on the angle iron it’s cradled in.  I will have to build something at the same level to hold the generator when it comes out.  Just curious if anyone else has done it that way.  Thanks

Robert:  I removed mine with a material lift, rented from a local rental outfit.

One like this: https://www.industrialproducts.com/genie-superlift-contractor-lifts1.html?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI786E4_muhwMVIou5BR2qCQaOEAQYASABEgICy_D_BwE#515=33592&1193=16299

Removed the generator door (hood), unbolted the generator (broke two of the 4 bolts), removed the fuel lines, DC cables, AC cables and then put the material lift under it lifted and slid it out.  It was far less trouble than I had imagined.

Dwight

Robert:  While I did replace the temperature sensor on my 8K, it turned out that the issue was that the water pump belt was shredded.  On my 8K, the water pump is on a belt, the fan is direct drive.  Replacing the belt was the fix.

Dwight

58 minutes ago, Rgoodman said:

2002 diplomat 38 PBT.  I have to pull my 7500 watt generator to replace coolant temp sensor.  I see many who have to jack up MH and drop there’s down to roll it out.  Mine looks like I can remove 4 bolts (as well as wires and exhaust) and slide it forward on the angle iron it’s cradled in.  I will have to build something at the same level to hold the generator when it comes out.  Just curious if anyone else has done it that way.  Thanks

I did much the same thing, using a transmission jack under the genny.

Robb,

I did the same repair last summer.  I had 10 days to troubleshoot it and repair it in between two trips.  Mine would run for 20 minutes, then just shut down like you hit the OFF switch.  You could wait a few minutes and it would crank right up, but it would only run for 20 seconds then just die, no stumbling, like a fuel issue, just dead.  

I used an ATV/motorcycle jack and two automotive floor jacks.  I had a couple of friends help me.  We juggled the jacks into different positions as we pulled the genny out from under the coach. There was no way I could have done the repair while it was under the coach, because I had to remove the top, back and driver's side panels.  

My temp sensor had a crack in it and when I tried to remove it, only the threaded end came out.   The smooth end was corroded into the passageway.  Had to clean that passageway out and run a tap through it to clean up threads.  Since yours is older than mine, I would recommend replacing the plastic plenum chamber while you have the opportunity.   Mine had some bad cracks around the threaded inserts.  The newer design is made better.  I highly recommend that you consider changing it out, especially if it is the original. 

I'm happy to report that the new coolant sensor cured the problem and my genny (8KW) purrs like a kitten again. I also changed out the belt while I had it out.  It needed it and I found a piece of junk lodged in the pulley groove.  Also put in new t-stat. 20230702_191206.thumb.jpg.b99836bd3634b360b2de9c0553d841d8.jpg20230704_132308.thumb.jpg.02c8ef04e52b0fd75f95adf6ff45e86c.jpg20230704_132327.thumb.jpg.8b69667d37f60c57e319d94ac328bf3c.jpg20230704_132458.thumb.jpg.d3a4720909f6e77d4ebe23561ea4433b.jpg20230705_114717.thumb.jpg.9cd1275b2b64826be2245d669e64e3fe.jpg20230627_094444.thumb.jpg.25ad9734e90e41c5aae2decc70fffce8.jpgGood luck with your project! 

Carey

• Like 1

Jim McGarvie

I saw your comment about removing your gen with a transmission jack. I have an 02 Knight, 36 PBS, with the 7.5 Onan with about 1000 hrs. The gen has never been removed and I have worried for the last  22 years since I bought the coach, about how I could remove it if necessary. From the photographs you can see that on mine there is a 1 1/2" aluminum square tube fieberglassed into the front cap, which limits how the lower part of the gen can come forward. The gen will need to be lifted some to clear that tube. But, from another photo, you can see that above the gen there is a steel crossmember that limits the upward movement of the gen. So my question is, is your coach built this same way, and if so were you able to lift the gen just a little and get it out by pulling it forward?

Scott Jordan

20240718_144018 (Small).jpg

20240718_144030 (Small).jpg

20240718_144541 (Small).jpg

Scott:

Some have cut that "square tube" and then spliced it back together after the re-install.

I was prepared to do that, but instead I used a "Material Lift" (a kind of manual fork lift) which I rented quite inexpensively, to lift the generator just enough to clear that tube.

It was MUCH easier than I had imagined it would be.

Dwight

29 minutes ago, scottjo02 said:

Jim McGarvie

I saw your comment about removing your gen with a transmission jack. I have an 02 Knight, 36 PBS, with the 7.5 Onan with about 1000 hrs. The gen has never been removed and I have worried for the last  22 years since I bought the coach, about how I could remove it if necessary. From the photographs you can see that on mine there is a 1 1/2" aluminum square tube fieberglassed into the front cap, which limits how the lower part of the gen can come forward. The gen will need to be lifted some to clear that tube. But, from another photo, you can see that above the gen there is a steel crossmember that limits the upward movement of the gen. So my question is, is your coach built this same way, and if so were you able to lift the gen just a little and get it out by pulling it forward?

Scott Jordan

20240718_144018 (Small).jpg

20240718_144541 (Small).jpg

My generator will clear that square aluminum at the bottom.  It also is sitting in angle iron so it should slide forward with a come along doing the work.  I just need to remove the front access door

5 hours ago, scottjo02 said:

Jim McGarvie

Scott Jordan

Ours has the same square tube, but it is not fiberglassed to anything. It is just bolted to the angle at each end of it. IIRC I just unbolted the front fiberglass pieces from it and unbolted the square tube from the angle on each end. It doesn't do much; just supports the genny compartment door, and stabilizes the fiberglass on each side.

19 hours ago, Jim McGarvie said:

Ours has the same square tube, but it is not fiberglassed to anything. It is just bolted to the angle at each end of it. IIRC I just unbolted the front fiberglass pieces from it and unbolted the square tube from the angle on each end. It doesn't do much; just supports the genny compartment door, and stabilizes the fiberglass on each side.

Thanks to each of you that helped me with your experience removing the gen. One last request for Jim McGarvie: would it be possible for you to take a photo of the square tube on your coach where it is near the fiberglass? That would help me understand the difference in how our coaches were made. 

Thanks,

Scott

1 hour ago, scottjo02 said:

Thanks to each of you that helped me with your experience removing the gen. One last request for Jim McGarvie: would it be possible for you to take a photo of the square tube on your coach where it is near the fiberglass? That would help me understand the difference in how our coaches were made. 

Thanks,

Scott

Do these help?

2F2A3F21-62E6-4EC4-B44F-A3E825B7CCE3_1_105_c.jpeg

CE6E0561-3CD8-4668-8F94-3DB13CB42C36_1_105_c.jpeg

Yes Jim, that explains it. Interesting again how Monaco did so many things different for the same production year. I am now sure I can remove the gen if it becomes necessary. I will sleep better tonight!

Thanks again for all the information.

Scott