Ladder or scaffolding

What are recommendations for ladders or scaffolding to work on the roof line, awnings, toppers, running lights, etc. up high on the coach? I bought a scaffold from Home Depot but it is not high enough for a motorhome even though it was fine for my travel trailer. Would a rolling stair platform be suitable. I'm getting old and don't trust ladders much anymore.

• Like 1

I think you already answered the question - if you aren't comfy on a ladder, then scaffold it is.  You might need another tier of scaffolding for the height.  Lockable wheels on the bottom.  This stuff is available on Craigslist / Facebook Marketplace / pawn shops all the time from tradesmen that go belly up.  Might not be pretty, but functional.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I concur with David. My 2002 Knight is only 12' tall, but to replace the clearance lights I rented a 12' scaffold from Home Depot for $100. I too am getting a bit long in the tooth and was not comfortable attempting the job on a ladder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As DavidL said you kind of answered your own question. Scaffolding is the way to go if you have significant work to do. If you do not have a sticks and bricks with long term storage for scaffolding you may want to look into rental. While you can generally buy scaffolding for the cost of a months rental, what do you do with it afterwards if you do not have a place to store it. Of course you could also look at buying (used) and then selling once you are done. On thing to keep in mind, If you are too uncomfortable to work on a ladder you will still need one to get up and down from the scaffolding. Also, do not forget you will need flooring/scaffold boards. My days of using 2X12 for flooring are over. yours may be too.

• Thanks 1

If you have a place to store the rolling stairs they should work great for you. We had some at the shop that I used a couple times while working on that kind or stuff. You need to be on pavement or concrete pretty much or they are a pain to move.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought two sets of scaffolding while I was building our house, I've got high ceilings in the foyer, living room and family room I needed all the height I can get.  Probably should have bought three since to reach the foyer & LR ceilings to wire in the light I had to use a step ladder on top of the scaffolding.  Not the best option but I was comfortable doing it.

After I was done with the house the scaffolding got moved to the garage and made a good storage area for them.  I used one set when I worked on my belt molding.  Worked great and is safer then a ladder and have 6' of walkway to work off of. 

• Thanks 1

I built a rail for my scaffolding as well as hanging chains on the ends for safety.

I do use a small stool when needed for the extra height. The scaffold is wiggly so I made a few modification to it. Ratchet straps crisis crossed along the sides helps. Bit a couple of 2x4's clamped to the edge away from the RV and jammed to the ground makes it very stable. 

No way would I trust the scaffold open without rails. All this stuff can be bought I recently found out. 

• Thanks 1

I have a little bit of experience working at heights, when I was a young engineer I was assigned to shaft maintenance,  shaft was ~1800 ft deep.  We used safety harnesses but not for the faint of heart.  Worked off the top of man cage and skip but occasionally had to walk steel.  The shaft was wet which added to the work environment.  So the height doesn't bother me but the sudden stops do!!!

• Thanks 1

Menards rents scaffolding for (?) a dollar a day per piece.  4 sections, 4 crossbars, 4 wheels and 2 platforms. It gets you chest high to work on the roof line. It took me a week, not a long daily work period, to do a side. They even rent you a truck to take it and return it.

Gary 05 AMB DST

• Thanks 1

My vote is for the rolling stairs. If you are using it on a smooth/firm level surface then they can't be beat.

They are easy to work on, move and safe. The problem with scaffolding is that climbing up and down on one can be a headache in our older years. Unless you have wheels on the scaffold moving it requires taking it apart and setting back up again. You can find used stairs on craigslist and marketplace.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I was hanging 4'x12' ceiling sheetrock in my 15 foot high garage ceiling for the coach, I built a 4'X8' rolling scaffold out of 2x4 and 2x6 lumber with a 4'x8' plywood floor.  I wanted a solid platform with rails both near the foot base floor and at waist level.  I really didn't like the ones I saw at the big box stores.  Originally, I thought this was temporary but found that is was a great, solid, safe working platform when working on the coach so I never unbolted to disassemble it.  I tied a ladder to one side to safely climb up to the platform about 8' off the floor.  And yes, it easily rolls on the floor to where I need it.

DSC01320.JPG

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Frank McElroy said:

When I was hanging 4'x12' ceiling sheetrock in my 15 foot high garage ceiling for the coach, I built a 4'X8' rolling scaffold out of 2x4 and 2x6 lumber with a 4'x8' plywood floor.  I wanted a solid platform with rails both near the foot base floor and at waist level.  I really didn't like the ones I saw at the big box stores.  Originally, I thought this was temporary but found that is was a great, solid, safe working platform when working on the coach so I never unbolted to disassemble it.  I tied a ladder to one side to safely climb up to the platform about 8' off the floor.  And yes, it easily rolls on the floor to where I need it.

DSC01320.JPG

Did you use locking casters?  That's what I use when renting scaffolding.

Edited by Paul J A
clarify
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Paul J A said:

Depends on what I'm doing, mine came with locking casters but when I was doing my belt molding I left them unlocked and was able to move the scaffolding around the coach while doing the work.  Just had the supplies on the scaffold and was able to do pretty long sections. 

You do have to be careful though, I was putting a ceiling up on a portion of the covered deck and I leaned back a little to much and lost my balance, my back hit the wall but then the scaffolding started to move, I had no where to go but down, landed flat on my back but luckily I was ~4' off the ground.  Sore but not broken.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Depends on what I'm doing, mine came with locking casters but when I was doing my belt molding I left them unlocked and was able to move the scaffolding around the coach while doing the work.  Just had the supplies on the scaffold and was able to do pretty long sections. 

You do have to be careful though, I was putting a ceiling up on a portion of the covered deck and I leaned back a little to much and lost my balance, my back hit the wall but then the scaffolding started to move, I had no where to go but down, landed flat on my back but luckily I was ~4' off the ground.  Sore but not broken.

YEP!! I also used cut up pool noodles where ever, on the scaffolding . Keeps the dings off the adjoining exposed what ever surfaces. I used to keep a trash can liner full of bubble wrap for what ever too. Handy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul J A said:

I think I did have locking casters but I don't recall using all of them. I always relocated the scaffold by first climbing down.  Since I was doing ceiling work there was really nothing to push against to move the scaffold while on it.

• Thanks 1