Replacing Hydraulic hoses on a 1999 Monaco Windsor

had a Hydraulic hose going from the ump to the Power Steering burst just when I parked at a camp grounds, sprayed alot of oil so it was hard to find the leak by myself, a friend helped look for the leak  after we cut a alot of tie wraps and I would just barley start the engine to get a little leak, the problem was this was a straight section, not turn or chaffe marks, just blew out a half inch section, the quick easy fix was to goo to the Hydraulic shop and get some reusable Hydraulic hose ends and a coupling, but I was on pins and needles the drive home. Being the hoses are 25 years old I want to change them all out before I move the MH again, not an easy job as most are buried in the middle of Electrical cable runs. Would anyone have a diagram of the Hydraulic system and Hoses (power steering and cooling Fan motor), wishful thinking showing hose lengths and sizes, or has anyone done this job, would  you leave some of the long runs understurbed and just run new hoses and tiewrap to excisting cable-hose runs.  Any help or suggestions appreciated.thanks 

• Like 1

I can imagine what kind of a job this would be.

I have some experience with hydraulic systems on large pieces of mining equipment much more complicated then my coach.  So here's what I'd try.

I think it would be nearly impossible to completely remove the old lines, when I ran a piece of conduit front to back for wires I found the bundle not only zip tied I also found that there were metal supports/rings that all were run through.  It would be very difficult to pull the old hoses out.

I'd  take a SWAG at the total length of hosing I'd need front to back and order some with a little spare.  I buy the field fit hose ends.  The hard part would be pulling new house through between the rails.  I have chimney cleaning rods that connect together, I'd use these and from front to back I'd push them through between the chassis rails, may have to remove ceiling panels as needed and confirm that there are no obstructions that would prevent pulling new hoses through.  To prevent contamination of the hosed the ends need to be capped.  I'd try pulled a set of hoses at the same time AND another pull line that could be in the future.  Install the correct field fit fittings and attach to the new hose on both ends then connect new hose on both ends. 

Not the best solution but it would do what you are trying to accomplish. 

• Like 1

If you pursue the job of replacing the hoses take care to not contaminate the system.   Blow out any new hoses, don't assume they are clean.  Cap the ends of the new hoses until ready to install.  Clean the old hose/fittings and get rid of as much dirt & oil as possible, if really dirty start with a air nozzle, then rags. 

• Like 2

I replaced them on my 2000 Dynasty. I removed the basement ceiling panels and cut all the tie wraps I could see. That didn’t totally free up the hose so I went compartment by compartment pulling until I found the hidden tie wraps. 

I had two hoses made and joined the new hose to the old with a coupler and pulled the new hoses through the basement. I over estimated the length of both hoses by a few feet and simply made a loop in the in the top of the basement to take up the slack  

I need to do the same for the hydraulic Jack hoses too  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, dennis.mcdonaugh said:

I replaced them on my 2000 Dynasty. I removed the basement ceiling panels and cut all the tie wraps I could see. That didn’t totally free up the hose so I went compartment by compartment pulling until I found the hidden tie wraps. 

I had two hoses made and joined the new hose to the old with a coupler and pulled the new hoses through the basement. I over estimated the length of both hoses by a few feet and simply made a loop in the in the top of the basement to take up the slack  

I need to do the same for the hydraulic Jack hoses too  

I'm going to need to do my jack hoses sometime in foreseeable future. Your approach sounds like a good one, but I would struggle to guesstimate the length of the new hoses that I would need. Any advice on how you went about estimating those?  

These are the only pictures I took of the procedure. Don't forget to reseal the area with foam where the hoses enter and exit the basement.

Hydraulic Reservoir (16).jpg

Hydraulic Lines (2).JPEG

4 minutes ago, RoadTripper2084 said:

I'm going to need to do my jack hoses sometime in foreseeable future. Your approach sounds like a good one, but I would struggle to guesstimate the length of the new hoses that I would need. Any advice on how you went about estimating those?  

I used a length of old garden hose marked in feet and ran it next to the hoses at the front and rear of the coach where it was accessible. I used tie wraps to make sure it followed the hoses and that gave me the length of hoses outside the basement. Then I measured the length of the basement added a foot at either end for the transition from outside to inside the basement and added 10% for good measure. 

I replaced all the hoses going to the hydraulic pump, reservoir, steering box and fan. 

I've replaced the slide hoses so once I replace the jack hoses I think I'll be done with the hydraulic system.  

Hydraulic filter 6.jpg

Hydraulic line 1.jpg

hydraulic Reservoir 4.jpg

Hydraulic Reservoir 5.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

trying to figure out how the ceiling panels which close in the electrical and hydraulic etc between the main frames in the center of the bottom storage compartments are held up in place, can't seen any screws and I am going to run new hydraulic hoses through that area front to back, anyone have these down?thanks

• Like 1

Thanks Jim, I was looking a little yesterday, my knee is bothering me  so today I will take a better look, I was thinking screws buried. Starting to cool off here and I need to get this job done before it starts to snow and that could happen in Oct.