Hr alternator

@Jetjockey,

Verify with your engine manufacturer.  The alternator was installed by your engine manufacturer.  So, call your engine manufacturer (i.e. Cummins, Caterpillar, Detroit Diesel) with your engine serial number in hand then they can verify the alternator model number.

• Like 1

Unless you bought it new, it could be anything twenty years later.  Even new, I'm not so sure the alternator came with the engine, or was another special purchase by the coach maker. 

I carry a spare, a used but genuine Delco, the mounting is basically one of a few standard mounts, either the pivot in long or short (J180 maybe?), or the four bolt fixed mount.  A Delco with remote sense will replace a Leece Neville in a Duvac application, and be easy to hook up to charge, but you'll need a little work to get the lights to work and the engine to shut off with the key (either a diode or a resistor in the "ign" wire).  I don't have a working generator, and 120W of solar might be sketchy trying to get home without an alternator working.  And the spare belt wouldn't be any good if the alternator bearings locked up. 

Not to be a complete naysayer, but when my original alternator quit at 165,000 miles, I bought a replacement from AJ Electric.  It was supposedly a brand new exact replacement Leece Neville, it lasted 6000 miles.  Seems he builds the alternators in his shop with parts he gets from where? AJ Electric replaced the alternator under warranty, and told me I must have problem with my coach, couldn't be the alternator.  I checked my coach over and over, there were no problems nor any changes, I checked connections, even to the point of replacing batteries that still checked out fine, but were getting older.  That alternator lasted 2000 miles and quit.  I don't particularly think that is a good record.  I have since replaced the Leece Neville with a Delco 28si and could not be happier.  This alternator has been in service for about 8000+ miles and has been perfect, also the 28si is smaller and lighter and after replacing the alternator ourselves numerous times it was very welcome.  Parts are readily available.  Just my personal experience, take it or leave it.

Bill B2

2007 Navigator 45' DD S60

@willbo777 posted this in 2021

https://www.monacoers.org/search/?q=neville 200&quick=1&type=forums_topic

Start reading these. It is a requirement to do a search.  Used key words NEVILLE 200  Choose TOPIC from the drop down menu or EVERYWHERE.

Please remember this in the future and do the search before posting.

I copied on key post....that seemed to be informative.

You OTHER option...try emailing REV.  They have, miraculously, come up the BUILD SHEET or RVIA Data Card for older models.  See if yours is hanging in a closet or with the manual. If as the MODEL NUMBER and SERIAL NUMBER of every key component.  Your alternator would be on that list.

• Like 1

Thanks Tom.  I have had the same experience with “new”.  Hoping to locate exact new replacement. Mine is almost 20 yrs old. Would be fortunate if any manufactures new production would have as much longevity.  Did you have any modification necessary to delco installation as was mentioned by another poster?

Jet hockey,

any newer 4800 series Leece Neville has all updated parts inside.  I tried sourcing the older parts to rebuild mine and could not find all of them.

i removed all the original charging equipment and installed the Bluesea ML-ACR (isolator & battery maintainer failed).  Then I installed the 28si alternator (diode tested bad). For the alt, there are two options…there are 3 wires besides the +&- on back of alt.  The middle one A) you can tape off and leave disconnected OR B) install a one way diode (this keeps power traveling in one direction only). I chose option B.

Next, be careful removing the pulley from the Leece Neville there’s not a lot of room.  Replacements are out there but spendy not at just any store.

Now… my research showed this replacement was an option after removing the original charging equipment.  BUT since there are 28si’s with Duvac out there… I don’t see why it cannot be a direct swap for a Leece Neville.

My 2003 dynasty had the simpler charging equipment setup so the swap was a bit easier.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

Replaced my alternator about 5 years ago. I found the best price at Quality Power. I decided to replace my 160 amp Leece Neville with a 200 amp Delco Remy 28SI. I purchased the new alternator with a pully wheel.  The install was fairly simple (I have a side radiator) except on the DR you don't connect the excite wire since it is self exciting. I had my old LN rebuilt and carry it as a spare.

https://www.qualitypowerauto.com/category_139/RV-Alternators.htm

• Like 1