Original Volvo coolant expansion tank???

My coolant expansion tank has a small crack.  It isn't leaking yet, but I don't want to chance it.  Unfortunately, I can't find anything other than aftermarket junk online, and even the Dorman tanks have mixed reviews at best.  Any ideas on OEM tanks, or a solid aftermarket option??   My tank is this one:1x Engine Coolant Reservoir Tank W/ Cap Fits 1996-2000 Volvo WG WI  - Picture 1 of 3

I just went through that issue. The Doman ones - from Amazon & NAPA would last me 1000 miles - until they were leaking again.

I got an aluminum one made.

i thought I posted about it - I will take some pictures and post soon.

I posted once - but it didn’t look like it went through…

I contacted Southpointe Radiator in MI. 1 (734) 351-5365. I sent them an old tank and they made an aluminum one.

IMG_4374.thumb.jpeg.ae953fbe571dfc5003f3afdb730507d0.jpeg

They measured the top coolant level sensor threads incorrectly- so I had to send it back for rework. They plugged that hole and added a sensor on the side.

Here it is installed:

IMG_4379.thumb.jpeg.fe1d84979bb115af636a242169b2f711.jpeg

IMG_4380.thumb.jpeg.f8653c24e5604a8f4f4ee6a02576f29f.jpeg

I had a little issue in that when the hoses were connected the top bolt holes were too far back- I just added some aluminum bar pieces (2 or 3”) and got it all bolted up.

The only thing I would change is the coolant sight glass on the back (so it’s easier to see or better yet those 3”glass tubes connected on the top & bottom so you can see the exact level.  

It was about $550. 

Good Luck

Edited by Rocketman3
  • Like 1

I got mine directly from Volvo trucks I forget which model of Volvo truck but when the parts guy seen the tank he went into the parts room and came out with the same tank I think it was in the area of 369.00 ca that was if i recall correctly 4 years ago

I also got mine from Amazon and green filling cap would not stay tight, I went and got a short piece of Rad hose and put a plug in the hose and threw the green cap away, just remove the plug to add coolent, havn't had an issue with it since, been to Flordia and back to Nova Scotia twice

• Like 1