1996 Monaco Windsor - Engine won’t turn over

2 hours ago, Huddii said:

So I ended up using a small wire to jump the solenoid from one big terminal to one small terminal. It sparked and clicked...

So which terminal did you connect before to get it to start?  If it clicked, then that should be the correct terminals, I would call it almost a clunk, it should be a solid click when you touch the battery cable terminal on the starter solenoid to the correct small terminal, and it should also clunk when you release.  If it does that and does not crank the engine, then you have a starter solenoid problem.  But it should make that same clunk when the key is turned to start without jumping anything else, or you have two problems. Can you repeat the jumping the solenoid, hold it for a full second, then release and see if it clunks on the release also.  No need to turn the key at the same time, unless you want to hear for the clunk while you're under there. 

3 hours ago, Huddii said:

So I ended up using a small wire to jump the solenoid from one big terminal to one small terminal. It sparked and clicked I had my mom turn the key and nothing happened. The starter didn’t engage or hum or anything I didn’t hear a click in the ignition relay in the back either, but I have changed that out with the relay with the one next to it that run the ac and the ac still work after the relays were swapped. I don’t think it’s a relay or a solenoid it’s either a wire or my ignition switch I feel like. How would I test the ignition switch? Or is it ruled out because it is sending power to the front relay and solenoid. 

If turning your ignition switch to the start position powers a solenoid in the front fuse area, chances are good your ignition switch is fine. One side of that solenoid should have constant 12V+, and the other side should have 12V when ignition is in the start position. I'd assume that solenoid should provide power to the starter solenoid but that's a tough job to trace that wiring from front to back.

I'd suggest now that you have the ignition solenoids wired correctly, turn the ignition to the run position and try the start switch from the rear of the engine. If you messed with that before you might have left it in the "rear" start position which will prevent the starter solenoid from getting power from the ignition's start circuit.

The only big solenoids mounted on the wall of the engine bay in my 97 were the battery boost solenoid and the salesmans switch solenoid. I found a picture, the big solenoid in the middle (behind the thick cable) is the battery boost solenoid which has nothing to do with starting. The smaller solenoid to the lower left is the salesman switch solenoid which also has nothing to do with starting. 

6E14EA74-A8C8-4165-9B9C-05CFC42B6994_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.522c763ddbf057de9b014330fe3dc329.jpeg

Edited by jimc99999

• Scotty Hutto changed the title to 1996 Monaco Windsor - Engine won’t turn over

Okay sorry I have taken some

time off to find some mental piece since this rig has been driving me crazy. I have solved my issue thanks to this forum!!! My rear switch in the back of the coach was swapped to rear as soon as I flipped that switch it started right up. And then turned off the motorhome. After I turned off the motorhome, I went to start the motorhome again to make sure that was the definite issue. The motorhome is still only clicking, but it is now clicking in the front and the back. This leads me to believe that the starter solenoid like Jim mentioned is bad. I’m going to whack it with a hammer. See if I can get it released and started, if that works, then I will replace my starter. 

Sometimes I have been able to just take a Starter solenoid apart and repair one.  Seems like there is a copper disc that can often be cleaned and bingo FIXED.   If it is just solenoid it could be a lot cheaper to just fix or replace that.

• Like 1