Brake Buddy Not Compatible with Vehicle Automatic Electronic Brakes

thomasgibbens

We have towed several different Jeep vehicles in the last 13 years behind our motorhomes.  I put my Brake Buddy Vantage braking system which uses a vacuum technology, according to Brake Buddy, from my 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee to a new 2023 Grand Cherokee and have a disaster on my hands.  I did not know that it was not compatible with the newer Automatic Electonic Brake (AEB) systems.  Consequently, it only remains powered up for maybe a half hour and then shuts down.  While towing it, the Brake Buddy applied pressure to the brake pedal and got the brakes so hot that it melted the brake lines wore down the pads.  I now am having to pay Jeep to completely replace the calipers, brake pads, actuators, brake lines and flushing the system to the tune of $4400!  I read the Owner's Manual and didn't see anything to warn me to check the type of system I was using.  If you are upgrading your tow vehicle, you need to keep this in mind and not make the same mistake.  If you have run into this, I would appreciate knowing how it got handled.  Jeep says it's not their problem.

Tom Gibbens

'15 Dynasty

8 minutes ago, thomasgibbens said:

We have towed several different Jeep vehicles in the last 13 years behind our motorhomes.  I put my Brake Buddy Vantage braking system which uses a vacuum technology, according to Brake Buddy, from my 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee to a new 2023 Grand Cherokee and have a disaster on my hands.  I did not know that it was not compatible with the newer Automatic Electonic Brake (AEB) systems.  Consequently, it only remains powered up for maybe a half hour and then shuts down.  While towing it, the Brake Buddy applied pressure to the brake pedal and got the brakes so hot that it melted the brake lines wore down the pads.  I now am having to pay Jeep to completely replace the calipers, brake pads, actuators, brake lines and flushing the system to the tune of $4400!  I read the Owner's Manual and didn't see anything to warn me to check the type of system I was using.  If you are upgrading your tow vehicle, you need to keep this in mind and not make the same mistake.  If you have run into this, I would appreciate knowing how it got handled.  Jeep says it's not their problem.

Tom Gibbens

'15 Dynasty

@thomasgibbens

Your are joining a LONG list of dissatisfied customers..  My experience goes back to 2006 - 08.  I ended up taking a major hit as the system was NOT WORK on any Hummer....including my H3...  Read as follows...or scroll to bottom for the conclusion

This is NOT the first TIME for a MAJOR DISASTER with a Brake Buddy "Plug and Play" unit. This may sound TRITE, but I had issues with my FIRST Brake Buddy.  It was SUPPOSED to be totally WIRELESS...  Put it in..  Run THROUGH the COMPLICATED bleed down procedure (OK...Tongue in CHEEK...a member complained that the BLEED DOWN was so complicated and he wanted someone to help him.  It was MOUNT the unit.  Plug it IN.  Verify that the WEIGHT Range is correct. Push the SETUP OR START or whatever button...then it cycled 4 times...and displayed a READY light). There was another member who responded. "If setting up the Brake Buddy up a Brake Buddy challenges your mental capacity...perhaps you need to find another hobby and abandon MH'ing.

OK...if you got all that and laughed...OK. The Founders chose NOT to moderate.  BUT, it did describe the so called SIMPLICITY and "Mentally Challenged PROOF" test.

Mine never worked on a 36 Ft Winne.  BB made me a DEAL.  They would trade in my OLD unit (not defective...was was NOT satisfied with it's performance RATHER than fix it.  Paid the swap.  The newer unit was better...but FAR from perfect.

Purchased the Camelot...and was OK.  In 2008, traded the 1998 Explorer for a 2008 Hummer H3. It has the ELECTRO HYDRAULIC Mechanical braking system.  OK...simple. To save FUEL, the Power Assisted Brakes were ELECTRIC.  Dropping the Vacuum reservoir as well as the CONTINUED replenishment saved FUEL and GM was fighting for every 0.01 MPG.  BUT, it was a FIASCO.

Hummer was out for several years.  They were more INCONSISTENT than Monaco.  The FIRST years, I THINK, until the 2008 MY, the ELectro Hydraulic Braking system was LIVE.  When you pushed the brakes with the Transfer case in NEUTRAL, that also activated or maybe the Electro System was wired to the BATTERY.  Press the BRAKES....Brake LIGHTS came on.  The MOTOR (brake motor as part of the ABS) started and you had POWER BRAKES.

BUT, in 2008, GM reversed the circuit. You HAD to have the IGNITION ON.  SO, if you were freewheeling down a grade in neutral with NO KEY ON...you ain't GOT A BRAKING SYSTEM.  OK, if you PUSHED HARD...VERY HARD on the Brake Pedal...you could slow it down.

There was an UPROAR on Social media from MY owners.  The older (2007 and back) brakes were very SENSITIVE.  The Brake Buddy worked on the theory that when you DID the setup, then the pressure from the air cylinder would work with any Power Brake (Vacuum Cannister) system....that had had the Cannister drained.

NOPE...it locked down the vehicle and many members reported that it slowed them down... OPPS...Like the JEEP.  The wheels were locked and the TIRES were Flat Spotted.

Called Brake Buddy when I read this.  They had a LOT of complaints.  They had TRIED to turn down the pressure via the SETUP.  They had shipped customers SMALL regulators and given them instruction on how to install, inline with the cylinder...and adjust DOWN the cylinder pressure.

NOTHING...according to a very CANDID tech support rep WORKED.  SO...BIG WARNING in their ONLINE DATA BASE.  DO NOW USE IN A 2007 Hummer or earlier.

BUT...The Braking system in the 2008 was "DEAD"..., so in THEORY...the brakes should work. OPPS, the Hummer's PEDAL was harder...not enough air pressure for proper control

BOTTOM LINE....NO BRAKE BUDDY in ANY HUMMER regardless of MODEL.

There was NOTHING on the WEBSITE.  Nothing in the REVISED Manual..online....

SOLD MINE ON EBAY FOR A LOSS...

X2 on the 08 Hummer, no problem with ours. I would think there would be a way with the Jeep to drop power to the pump when ignition OFF but the liability may prevent shops from doing it.