Coachnet vs AAA

So I currently have AAA and have had them for +20 years,  Had to have my Class C towed once and the Class A twice, all three times the tow was under 100 miles "barely". 

I just received my AAA renewal, it has gone up to $234 for the vehicles plus Premier RV. 

Checked on Coachnet and it is only slightly more but the benefits are much better, particularly towing distance.   I've read some of the previous posts on coachnet and can't see any downside from switching providers. 

Am I missing something,   

Planning on a long trip out west again this year, the last two years on trips out west I've major issues, didn't need a tow but came close.   That's what happens when you drive a 23 year old house on wheels.

I just let my AAA lapse. They only cover up to $500 for a tow now. Not worth the money for the membership in my opinion. I got stuck and needed a tow. Was going to be $4500 out of my pocket after AAA paid their $500. 

I was able to get it fixed on the side of the road for cheaper. 

Just my opinion. 

Had to have 43 ft executive towed a couple weeks ago. We were not totally off the road but not blocking. Called coach net and they were great finding a tow company and a safe place for us to spend the night. The tow bill was 1400.00 because it was a four hour minimum. I didn’t have to pay anything, for the tow Coach et communication was great through out they even found a repair shop to have the coach towed A definite thumbs up to coach net.

Turned out was the alternator   Would not let the tranny go into gear  that fix was 1000.00

I have had Coach Net for over twenty Years I have had to use their services several times and not once have I ever been disappointed. Never was there any cost out of my pocket. AAA, Camping World, are the worst and I cannot say you will find a better company than Coach Net for your Emergency Road Service, they have a lot of benefits.

• Like 1

I have had bad experiences with AAA. 

• First, even though they claim to allow two truck to tow, if necessary, they only cover "TOWING", not "RECOVERY", as in if you are stuck off the road.
  • Second, they don't have any Class 6 tow trucks in my area.  I only wanted a tire replaced, and they don't replace tires, but offered to tow me to somewhere that does.  Except they didn't have a truck capable of towing me in Colorado (so they said).  They wanted to set an appointment for 12 days out, and would have to bring a truck in from Utah.  

I still have AAA basic for my cars, but went with FMCA Roadside Rescue for the coach.  I'm pleased with the company.  I have only gotten about 4 tows in 40 years (not counting family members towing), and two of them were last January-February 2024.  One dues to loss of fuel in the fuel lines due to running the generator and Aquahot for 4 weeks without starting the main engine - it somehow lost prime, and the second for parking in a resort lot that was 2-inches of gravel over uncompacted dirt, which turned to mud after 2 days of hard rain.  In both cases, FMCA Roadside Assist had to call several different companies, because the companies lied about their capabilities.  This was not FMCA's fault, and the promptly found replacements.  They even ate one $500 call even though the company looked at my coach and decided they wouldn't touch it.  I learned a lot last winter.

I've never used Coachnet, or Good Sams, so can't address them.  But, right now, I'm quite satisfied with FMCA Roadside Assist.  You do have to be a member of FMCA to purchase the Roadside Assist.

-Rick N.

I've had CoachNet for more than 10 years. They have exceeded my expectations every time that I needed them. I broke down in Canada (faulty injector pump). When I called , they arranged for a tow to Kenora ONT. At Kenora , the Cummins shop could not handle the job so they towed me a total of 300 kilometers to Winnepeg. I never saw the bill (Glad I didn't have to pay for that one). Another time one of my ride height valve brackets broke free of the frame. I called them for a tow. The tech had me look over the bracket . They immediately sent Speedwrench to weld the bracket back to the frame. I was back on the road 3 hours later! I will always have Coachnet.

28 minutes ago, waterskier_1 said:

I have had bad experiences with AAA. 

• First, even though they claim to allow two truck to tow, if necessary, they only cover "TOWING", not "RECOVERY", as in if you are stuck off the road.
  • Second, they don't have any Class 6 tow trucks in my area.  I only wanted a tire replaced, and they don't replace tires, but offered to tow me to somewhere that does.  Except they didn't have a truck capable of towing me in Colorado (so they said).  They wanted to set an appointment for 12 days out, and would have to bring a truck in from Utah.  

I still have AAA basic for my cars, but went with FMCA Roadside Rescue for the coach.  I'm pleased with the company.  I have only gotten about 4 tows in 40 years (not counting family members towing), and two of them were last January-February 2024.  One dues to loss of fuel in the fuel lines due to running the generator and Aquahot for 4 weeks without starting the main engine - it somehow lost prime, and the second for parking in a resort lot that was 2-inches of gravel over uncompacted dirt, which turned to mud after 2 days of hard rain.  In both cases, FMCA Roadside Assist had to call several different companies, because the companies lied about their capabilities.  This was not FMCA's fault, and the promptly found replacements.  They even ate one $500 call even though the company looked at my coach and decided they wouldn't touch it.  I learned a lot last winter.

I've never used Coachnet, or Good Sams, so can't address them.  But, right now, I'm quite satisfied with FMCA Roadside Assist.  You do have to be a member of FMCA to purchase the Roadside Assist.

-Rick N.

If you look at the benefits of Coach Net, They cover all the vehicles you own. Coach Net does not send a tow truck that can't do the job.

Just now, David Pratt said:

If you look at the benefits of Coach Net, They cover all the vehicles you own. Coach Net does not send a tow truck that can't do the job.

FMCA doesn't intentionally send a tow truck that can't do the job either.  But when the truck owner assures them he can, and sends a driver in a beat-up pickup with all the tools he owns in a plastic bucket, who has never seen a diesel before, and wants to pour gasoline in the air filter, it's not their fault.  They have updated their files.  Same goes with the towing companies - I insisted I personally talk to the driver before he was sent, so I could describe the situation, and special equipment needed, which he assured me he had, but when he showed up, he didn't.  I don't fault FMCA for sending trucks when the drivers assured FMCA they could do the job.  I am pleased that they continued, until after 11:00PM, looking for someone who could indeed do the job.  

As I said before, I have no personal experience with Coachnet, and don't think it's a zero-sum industry.  There can be more than one good company, it is not AAA for large RVs though.

-Rick N

My SIL was a AAA employee and she originally hooked us up when we didn't own an RV.  Then we got the Class C and the one time we were towed with it it went OK.  We then got our Class A and stuck with it and both time they did OK.  The second time we had the Class A towed we were stuck at a Cracker Barrel on Memorial Day weekend, they sent a tow but he first came in his pickup truck to scope things out and said "he be back in an hour" but never showed up.

By that time it was too late to get a tow but fortunately Cracker Barrel said it was fine to stay.  My wife loaded up the toad with the dogs and headed home, I stayed with the coach.  I was on the phone with a AAA supervisor but they could not find another tow truck that day but scheduled one for the next.  The supervisor did all she could do, really can't blame them when the first truck initially took the tow but then bailed. 

The rig had holes punched in the radiator and all the coolant was drained out, so I rigged up a hose and pumped water from my fresh tank into the surge tank, luckily I had almost a full fresh water tank.  Rig the hose, turned on the pump, and drove out of the lot to where the tow was.  He hooked me up, pulled the drive shaft and got me to the Cummins shop and dropped the rig there.  Can't complain about the second driver. 

Not the best service but they got it done. 

That being said, I have no loyalty to AAA and now that they've jacked their prices up quite a bit over the last couple year I will probably switch to Coachnet. 

Can’t go wrong with CN. Called the first time with a dead battery in the car on a cold winter day. They just sent a guy in a van with a hot shot to jump it. Had the coach towed once since then, $1200 there was no pay now and get reimbursed.  They covered it all. 

I also have Coach-Net.  I recently signed-up for their Road Hazard Protect program for 6 years.  Total cost for 6 years was $502 or @ $85.00/year.

Hazard Protect Coverage includes:
  • Sign and drive, no deductible
  • Up to 2 tire replacements per year (no limit on cost)
  • Up to 2 wheel damage repairs per year (up to $300 max)
0?ui=2&ik=3b88b7d805&attid=0.0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1790916964736260072&th=18da9d7da15357e8&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ8kkv42UZ7GoMVr3vRyMUClQlQmukrXzPOdQmEoJCpNeIHEqQrkhnHmrSA_rcZZNJZLBMJ-LW7KumwpomEF4d8lzu2yjjdLkcs8ecooAOBKA_dMSKAo8HrQewk&disp=emb

Coachnet has been great to me. A tow 3 years ago when I had a crank/no start and then a pull out from my florida lot when I was stuck.

The first tow the driver did damage to my coach but coachnet backed me up and helped me with my claim.

I'll stay with them.

I've only had Coachnet for a year, and haven't needed them, but had Good Sam for over 10yrs, and the only time I called them, I fixed the issue before they could "find" anyone that could come out!!

I have had really good experience with Good Sam.  Expensive Tow from Southern Georgia to nearest Cummins Shop in Jacksonville, Florida, separate tow truck for our Car dolly.  No costs to me.

We travel in or thru Canada quite a bit.  How does FMCA roadside assist compare to Coachnet for a 150 mile call-out and then towing (or preferably flat bedding if bridge clearance allows) a tag axle DP for 150-200 or more miles in Canada to a Canadian repair facility that can handle the engine or tranny "problem".  I've heard some company's (don't know who it was) Canadian policy was you pay it all first and then file a claim for reimbursement, and I want to avoid that scenario should I ever need it.  Sounds like AAA wouldn't work in this scenario.

Edited by amphi_sc

I would suggest a call to Coachnet and get first hand the answer to your question. A call also to FMCA for their answer and you can compare. I will bet you a cocktail the winner will be Coachnet.

Thanks for everyone's comments. 

Pretty much looking at signing up for Coachnet. 

Has anyone done this recently, how long did it take to get the cards.   My AAA expires toward the end of Sept so I need to make the change and have everything in place as I'm looking at going on extended trip starting in Oct.

29 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Has anyone done this recently, how long did it take to get the cards.   My AAA expires toward the end of Sept so I need to make the change and have everything in place as I'm looking at going on extended trip starting in Oct.

They email you your membership number right away so, you could use it if needed before your cards arrive.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Like @96 EVO ben says, you'll get an email right away with your member number.   Download the app on your phone and plug in the information.  Once you do that, you really don't even need your card  for road side service.    I just renewed my membership from the app.

• Like 1

Thanks

Seems like they make it more and more convenient to spend money, I've been able to cut the number of trips into town down to one or two trips a week (food & liquor)! Just do some fast availability and cost comparisons sitting in my recliner and walk to the mailbox when notified of delivery.   I even bought the 22 ton jack stands off Ebay cheaper then anything I could buy locally and they dropped them off at the garage door. 

• Like 1

Looks like Coachnet is the resounding winner, and as it is about time to renew AAA I am strongly considering Coachnet. But I am embarrassed to admit I am confused by their website. Seems like an inordinate number of products. Those of you who have opted for Coachnet, can you elaborate a bit on which service you chose?

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, Jim McGarvie said:

Looks like Coachnet is the resounding winner, and as it is about time to renew AAA I am strongly considering Coachnet. But I am embarrassed to admit I am confused by their website. Seems like an inordinate number of products. Those of you who have opted for Coachnet, can you elaborate a bit on which service you chose?

Thanks!

Speaking for myself, I only want 24/7 roadside assistance from them.  I wasn't interested in the other things they offer (tire replacement, extended warranty, etc).  If the roadside assistance is the only thing your interested in, then just go to the Class A section (not towable), and decide which level of membership you want, "Premier" or "Ultimate".  I've had it for over 15 years.   Download the app on your phone.  

Edited by windsorbill06

15 minutes ago, windsorbill06 said:

Speaking for myself, I only want 24/7 roadside assistance from them.  I wasn't interested in the other things they offer (tire replacement, extended warranty, etc).  If the roadside assistance is the only thing your interested in, then just go to the Class A section (not towable), and decide which level of membership you want, "Premier" or "Ultimate".  I've had it for over 15 years.   Download the app on your phone.  

Thanks Bill, that is probably what I want too. Does it cover vehicles in addition to your RV?

I have Premier Coach coverage with them for last 8 years and while I never used it for the rig, they towed my daughter's car no questions. Supposed to cover any car in the household, even rental.