2005 Cummins ISL 400HP Oil Fill Location? Feels like a dumb question

Go to solution Solved by swmorgan,

I hate being that new guy asking the dumb question!  I searched the forum for quite some time with no luck.  

I'm on my second motorhome....first time diesel owner.(2005 Monaco Diplomat 38 PDQ purchased just over a year ago)  Had the check engine light come on while traveling parleys canyon yesterday between salt lake city and park city.  Went away as soon as we started downhill again and remained off till be got to our camp site just outside of park city.  I checked oil level once we got settled and it looks just a little low but still showing in the normal range so assuming possibly going up that grade it was thinking oil was low.

Here's my dumb question.  For the life of me I can't find where to add oil.  Nothing obvious to me on the rear hatch with the radiator.  I've searched google, owners manual, and here and nothing so far.  Hoping someone can point me in the right direction so I can add a little before heading home.  Don't need a motor rebuild in my future.....had to replace the allison trans last summer!

A "check engine" light usually has got nothing to do with oil level.

It is more typically something that has something to do with engine driveability / emissions.

You will need a proper scan tool to figure out why that light illuminated.

many error codes can reset if they "go away" for X number of minutes or restarts.

But if you believe the oil level is low, certainly add until mid full.  don't overfill.

• Like 1

As David said, buy a scan tool that will connect to your engine diagnostic port. My port is under the dash left of steering column. Without the scan tool to find the problem, you’re just guessing.

Look in your manual to find your engine diagnostic port location.

Oil level isn’t likely the problem. 

I use this scan tool, but many are available. 
https://a.co/d/4bdG1zc

PS. You likely add oil at the top of the engine, which you access in the bedroom removing engine cover. 

Opening up the rear doors you should have an oil fill spout next to the dipstick on the right side, but it's high in the compartment and adding oil isn't easy.  It's much easier to open the hatch in the back closet and fill directly into the valve cover. 

Your Cummins owners manual should have a procedure on checking diagnostic codes, no scanner needed (although it would be easier).

Basically with ignition sw on but engine not running press and hold the diagnostic switch on the dash.  Warning and Stop Engine lights will flash then Warning light will send a series of flashes for a 3 digit code.  The code will repeat as long as you hold the switch.  If you get a different code the second time around you have 2 trouble codes to check. 

There are charts of Cummins diagnostic codes online but you're better off registering your engine serial # with Cummins QuickServe and finding the codes there.  Your account will be tailored to your specific engine . . . . and Cummins makes a LOT of engines so finding a code online may or may not be accurate.  If you dig deeper in QuickServe you can get detailed repair procedures or each code. 

- bob

OK,,,FWIW, we, the ataff are suggesting that something generic or really simple be approached this way.

Check your manual.  I did….NOT there.

Google it.  2005 Cummins ISL 400 HP Oil Fill Location. BINGO….several hits and also the answer….see below.

Here is the information.  If one strikes out on Google…on a simple question….search here….then no joy??  Post a new topic.

Photo below is from the SEARCH….and I chose IMAGES….a wealth of info and a googling trick I learned many years ago.

OK….from the first seardh…without clicking on IMAGES?…

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/cummins-400isl-engine-fill-location-105374.html

AS GOOD as we are or think or profess to be, many of the contributors will google and read and learn….the staff or moderators do.  We have one staff member that is a Cummins expert….but he is working on other things.  I talk or text daily and he has, or at least did, a home repair item

If you read the IRV2, technically there is TWO.  The conventional “valve cover” cap….in the bedroom under the engine access covers.  But NO PICTURE….so i clicked on Images….picture is the location that the shops  use.

Your approach was great, just add GOOGLING….

The REST of your question….oil level.

NOW, since you DIDN’T ask,  LOL. Cummins has a procedure to calibrate your dip stick…

Download the specs, think it is in the Manual.  Look at the capacity.  With and without the oil filter.

Tell the shop or follow this.  Drain out the OIL.  Don’t let it drip…drip…for hours.  Cummins assumes the tech will be pulling the filter.  So, then you can put the plug in or prefill the new filter and install.  NEVER let it drain longer.

Whatever the spec says….X QT wiithout FILTER….put that in.  Start the engine.  Let it run a few minjtes. Let the oil drain back maybe 5 minutes.  Pull the dipstick and wipe and check.  Wherever that level is…use a file and put a small notch on the dip stick so you know EXACTLY where the CORRECT Level is.

That’s it.  Add oil to get the oil say 3/4 “full” or towards the TOP of the normal operating range on the dipstick….then next time the oil is changed….follow the instructions and notch the dip stick.  Good to go then.

IMG_1329.jpeg
p

12 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Just to be sure, 'check engine' light or 'warning' light?

Check Engine and stop engine came on briefly.  Both went away as soon as we started heading down the other side and never came back on.  

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2005 Cummins ISL 400HP Oil Fill Location? Feels like a dumb question

I am not certain, but I think the Dip is a rear radiator coach, so I don't think that the oil fill is going to be visible from the back... at least not obvious.  The top of the valve cover is an easy choice, but maybe another Dip owner can chime in.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, swmorgan said:

Check Engine and stop engine came on briefly.  Both went away as soon as we started heading down the other side and never came back on.  

Yep, that should leave a permanent code to read with a scanner, your manual may possibly have a reference to triggering a blink code, mine does but a different engine.

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I am not certain, but I think the Dip is a rear radiator coach, so I don't think that the oil fill is going to be visible from the back... at least not obvious.  The top of the valve cover is an easy choice, but maybe another Dip owner can chime in.

Yes...it is rear radiator.  I pulled the cover in the bedroom and there isn't a cap anywhere on top of the valve cover.  I'm stumped but I also may be a little dumb and just not seeing something right in front of my face!  🙂

3 hours ago, swmorgan said:

I can't find where to add oil

Sam my 05 400 ISL PDQ oil fill tube is accessed from the right side rear panel.  The cap is stamped "engine oil fill". 

The tube directly above it is for the transmission. Mine is labeled with a tag so that the 2 are not confused.  Don't forget to rotate the caps  clockwise after removal in order to compress the rubber seal.

9 minutes ago, swmorgan said:

Yes...it is rear radiator.  I pulled the cover in the bedroom and there isn't a cap anywhere on top of the valve cover.  I'm stumped but I also may be a little dumb and just not seeing something right in front of my face!  🙂

Pictures would be great.  Did the comments in the IRV2 make sense?

• Solution

I think I found the answer searching another forum.  This photo looks almost identical to mine.  Yellow is the oil dipstick...the one above for the trans and larger one below for oil fill.  Thanks all for the comments....I'm feeling a little more confident this evening after reading a little more.  

20190616_175223.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1