Thermal Checking ---> Wall Replacement & Repaint

Last year & extending in early this year, my DW and I had some major restoration work performed on our 2005 Diplomat. Perhaps this information will be useful to others.

Admittedly, for some folks not to look at the thermal checking (at least within 30-40 ft) works just fine. But for my DW and I, we decided to make the problem go away. No, we didn't trade up or sell.

image.thumb.jpeg.7b81e561184ab80ac2c915536648df46.jpeg

Within a couple of years after we purchased our 2005 Diplomat from the original owners in 2015, what seemed like very minor checking seemed to steadily get worse. Additionally, the coach also started to manifest water leaks on both sides near the front. I did my best to search out the source, reseal front cap, check marker lights, door awning rail, top belt line rivets and caulk, usual suspects, etc. Unfortunately, those efforts quickly came to an end when I fell off my 6 ft ladder while working on the coach with no one else home. That event landed me (literally) at the trauma ICU with a Medivac ride. Long story short, after recovery, we had REV Service in Coburg finish up and completely reseal with a successful water test. But the water damage was done. In addition to the increasing thermal checking issue, we soon started to see signs of wall delamination and more belt line popping. 

Despite the significant cost, if we were going to continue using and enjoying this coach, we wanted the walls replaced. I located a shop in Indiana that successfully works to this level of restoration each and every day. An appointment was made and we worked with a graphics company to develop a custom paint scheme. We drove the coach from northwest Washington state to Indiana and flew home saying "see ya later" to Ursula. Yes, she was that ugly!

As soon as the sidewalls, windows, and entry door were removed, the earlier water leaks were evident with rust on both sides of the steel cockpit frame. The shop properly treated those areas, and replaced any damaged insulation.

2023-08-28-b.thumb.jpg.4e9dab55623c73d63207b9b4cbb8410a.jpg2023-08-30-c.thumb.jpg.b44ec46376ff1cc671368ed5236417b1.jpg

Vetro-LD fiberglass reinforced plastic panels from Vetroresina LLC were chosen as the new wall material. Two 40 ft long panels were shipped via flatbed truck to the repair shop from the Vetroresina LLC factory in Greenville, SC. After the panels were glued and braced, all openings were cut out. Windows, door, awnings and all new beltline materials installed. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d061d3e8176023fafc3d3f8dce20f708.jpeg

2023-10-09-c.thumb.jpg.7901d7925eb636fc00367034e4b8ac0e.jpg

With the major repair work completed, a few minor body work items were addressed on both front/rear caps and below beltline. Time for new paint. 

2024-01-23-c.thumb.jpg.1dbe200e0b1be6c017270f15f1634be4.jpg

2024-01-08-a.thumb.JPG.41615aa4ed0ae8f8bad53512e0c6683a.JPG

2024-01-05-d.thumb.JPG.2dd414954664fef4f40848a84eb5600b.JPG

This solution is not for everybody I know. For my DW and I, we are happy with how the job turned out. We have already found out that a photo puts to rest any issues at parks with a 10-year age restriction. 

2024-01-08-b.JPG

Edited by J Goddard
  • Like 3

Wow that is amazing! Get out and enjoy it. How long did this project take and we assume you’re happy with their work.  
How was your recovery hope you’re doing well. 

• Thanks 1

That looks fantastic. As previously asked, it would be interesting to know how long it took. If you don’t mind sharing the cost that would be appreciated also. Ours started checking a couple years ago. I would like to buy a newer coach but the DW loves our coach and is not on board. I’ve thought about doing just what you did but didn’t think I’d be able to find someone to do it. If you could also share the contact info for them I’d like to give them a call.

Thank You!

Edited by Chargerman
  • Thanks 1

They did a nice job, enjoy!

I'd suggest you contact your insurance company and provide pictures and ask for the insurance value be increased substantially.  You have as close to a new coach that a 2005 owner will ever have.

I had to send photographs of mine to my insurance company ~4 years ago when I changed carriers and settled on an Agreed Value.  Changed insurance again last year, somehow they had access to the photos and kept the agreed value. 

Edited by jacwjames
  • Thanks 1

As to how long the job took....who did the work...and how many $$$...

We dropped off the coach in Wakarusa, IN at S&S Automotive - Coach Division during the first week of August last year (2023). I returned in mid-January of this year (2024) and drove home to Washington state. The job required 5 months; some of this time was consumed by waiting for paint booth availability. 

For wall replacement costs, one must plan for $20K per side. The Vetro-LD fiberglass reinforced plastic panels cost >$2,500 each. I took the opportunity to have a few additional items completed.

• New awning LED light strip
  • New lighted Monaco entry door handle
  • New Diamond Shield on front cap
  • Had mirror arms sent to Space Coast Plating for re-chroming

As mentioned, it does feel like a new coach to us. A few months earlier, we had new flooring, sofa and recliners installed. I agree that current value and insurance coverage needs a review. Good comment.

I have a feeling I am several years away from the same thing. My 2008 Dynasty is a ten footer now, but there is a lot of checking, especially in the dark colors. If you will share the cost and amount of time needed for this work, it will be very helpful. Thank you for sharing this. I have wondered if anyone does this sort of work.

30 minutes ago, Michael Powell said:

Is it the UVs that causes checkers go or the heat???

I believe it is caused by the chemicals in the fiberglass that were used then, I think it is called off gassing. 

• Like 1

I understood it to be the differential in thermal expansion of the materials that is exacerbated with dark colors. The dark colors can cause a surface temperature of 120+ degrees. Over time this causes the material to fail. It is said that at some point the lighter colors will be affected also. 

With regards to insurance on this "new" coach, you will need to have agreed replacement cost value versus actual cash value. That $40K-$50K you just spent is definitely more than what they would use for actual cash valve.

You can check at JD Power web site for current base pricing which is way less than what you just spent for the repairs.

43 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

With regards to insurance on this "new" coach, you will need to have agreed replacement cost value versus actual cash value. That $40K-$50K you just spent is definitely more than what they would use for actual cash valve.

You can check at JD Power web site for current base pricing which is way less than what you just spent for the repairs.

X2 on agreed value but you will have to convince the insurance agent that the rig is worth the value.  You may have to take the rig there and give them a walk through. 

Good luck

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

I absolutely agree with you. The DW and I wanted a "different" coach and there was no way that ours would demand anywhere near the JD Power's average value if we sold or traded with the delamination and checking. We are very comfortable and happy with the money spent. 

Edited by J Goddard
  • Like 2