Packbrake air hose sourcing

Go to solution Solved by jacwjames,

Trying to source the air hose that runs between the solenoid and the PacBrake. I’m thinking it’s a maybe a 1/8” High Temp air hose. See picture. I’ve been looking and not finding anything. It’s not necessarily a Monaco hose, I’m trying to find a source. If you know what size it is let me know. After installing a manual activation switch I then decided I would like to replace the 22yr old hose.  

IMG_1006.jpeg

Edited by tmw188

• Solution
Posted (edited)

Attached is the parts page for my PacBrake, it actually shows the hose and two fittings as separate part numbers.  Revrvparts.com does not show either of these, sometimes there is enough information on parts that helps source but that's  dead end BUT you could call them and see what they say, they might give you the info if you tell them your broke down on the side of the road.

This is specialty hose, if you want to replace my guess is you'd have to remove and take it to a co mpany that can make a specialty hose with the ability to install/crimp on the fittings.  Maybe a local truck company may have a source.   The hose itself has a wire braided protective cover so it's hard to tell what kind o hose it is. 

I think I'd be more concerned about the air tubing coming from the tank to the air solenoid but in my case it is tucked up high and semi protected. 

After I went though my air system in 2021 and saw how vulnerable the system is to getting damaged by road debris I decided to create a kit including some spare fittings and tubing.  I bought different sizes of unions, some elbows, I had replaced a lot of the fittings when I went through the air system and kept those, they were all good so I can reuse them.  I bought lengths of spare tubing of the different sizes.   I have all of this in a plastic tool box. 

1 Pac Brake.pdf

Edited by jacwjames

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jacwjames said:

After I went though my air system in 2021 and saw how vulnerable the system is to getting damaged by road debris I decided to create a kit including some spare fittings and tubing.  I bought different sizes of unions, some elbows, I had replaced a lot of the fittings when I went through the air system and kept those, they were all good so I can reuse them.  I bought lengths of spare tubing of the different sizes.   I have all of this in a plastic tool box. 

I don’t think the hose I’m wanting to replace is vulnerable necessarily and maybe it’s not as fragile as it appears but it is certainly stiff. I want to put together a repair kit too, I think there’s maybe 3 different size nylon air lines under our coaches. The 1/4” lines are probably the most vulnerable. Going on a big trip in Sept and want to put together a travel kit of other things also. 

As our coaches get older and age and heat harden the hoses I hope to replace fuel lines back in the engine compartment.  

Edited by tmw188

The fittings on both ends will have to be matched, I believe the one one that attaches to the air cylinder is a #4 SAE flaired fitting (from memory).  I never could see my solenoid valve so you'd have to look at that.  Probably the only way to know is to take it off and see if there is a local supplier. 

When I was working on my air system I took fittings with me to a local hose/fitting/parts supplier in Knoxville.  Royal Brass had everything and even made up hoses to order.  They supply all the big truck repair shops, they may be able to help.  When I had some of the fittings off I just took them to Royal Brass to match and then bought lengths of tubing to carry as spare.  Initially I had all of these, and other repair supplies, in a 5 gallon bucket stored in the basement but my wife said she needed MORE room for her trip so I unloaded everything. 

I then built a storage area in front of my generator, used a solid piece of metal for the floor, contoured to the front cap and expanded metal on the sides.  I then bought a set of 4 different size tool/storage boxes from HF.   I did have to seal some holes in the tops but they are water resistant.  I did drill small hole in the bottom corners for water to drain "just in case".  The large one I store spare fuel, oil filters, belts, and belt tensioner.  The next size is for air tubing and fittings.  the next usable size is for electrical parts and tools.  Also carry and air hose and length of coaxial TV cable.   I tried to limit the weight in the storage area as I know it's at the very front of the coach and resting on the generator slide but so far it looks like it will work.   My guess is the generator slide is designed for the larger generators so I think the weight is OK.  

Edited by jacwjames
  • Like 1

I might take it to the place I bought my gen slide cylinder parts see what they say.  Last yr or so I replaced the hard as a rock LP hose coming from my LP tank. I believe some of these old hard stiff fuel lines and hoses are not safe, especially working on things in tight spaces near them while maybe pushing up against them.